• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane City vs. Sydney Stars - NRC Round 1, 21/08 @ Ballymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Cadeyrn Neville was "lured" across from Rowing wasn't he, but he had been on a Rowing "Clipboard" for some time.

Still no Cinderella "Rags to Wobs" fairy tale even though he has landed a professional rugby contract with the Rebels.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I disagree, The ARU should not allow similar jerseys, forget about two strips, just manage the competition to only allow clubs approved colors that will never clash.

Well that's the preferred solution, but the ARU was either powerless or clueless in preventing the problem occurring in the first place.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Anyone know how far from the scrum the defending 9 can be without having to be behind the hind-most foot like everyone else in the back line? First thing I thought of when I heard about this particular ELV was the Wing Forward position employed by NZ along with their 2-3-2 scrum formation, until the Brits decided the WF was by definition offside & made their 3-4-1 formation mandatory. If the 9 is allowed to stand anywhere in line with the mid-point of the scrum I can see some big problems arising.

He's supposed to be within a metre of the scrum, although I think that's an interpreatation rather than written in the laws. I understand that the interpretation is that if he's not within a metre of the scrum, then he's not the scrum half, so he has to be behind the same offside line as everyone else.

http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?law=20.12

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The game on thursday the halfback just stood as extra back in defence, one ELV I don't like as it stymies backline moves, to be honest as an old ex forward never understood the reason to make it easier for HB to clear ball anyway:)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hugh Pyle told me that he was in the 1st XV at school, but he never played any representative football till a few years later. Interestingly, he said he was the same height in year 12 as he is now, so it wasn't to do with that, perhaps filling out his body was an issue.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The game on thursday the halfback just stood as extra back in defence, one ELV I don't like as it stymies backline moves, to be honest as an old ex forward never understood the reason to make it easier for HB to clear ball anyway:)

Hopefully might encourage some back row moves though?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Anyone know how far from the scrum the defending 9 can be without having to be behind the hind-most foot like everyone else in the back line? First thing I thought of when I heard about this particular ELV was the Wing Forward position employed by NZ along with their 2-3-2 scrum formation, until the Brits decided the WF was by definition offside & made their 3-4-1 formation mandatory. If the 9 is allowed to stand anywhere in line with the mid-point of the scrum I can see some big problems arising.
I dont know why you would let you 9 defend in close, surely you would rejig your defence and put a bigger player there to stop runs off the back of the scrum.

THis rule change looks good and by the end of the season I expect different combinations to be used

Boog

Frank Row (1)
Apart from his defence - missed tackles and poor decisions. He tended to throw it a bit wide in the first half, but settled down with the rest of the team in the second.

I was impressed with the way City changed for the second half, apparently running into the wind too. Stiles did a good job at half time, I guess.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hugh Pyle was playing subbies after leaving school, not sure whether he was a star at school, but he seems to have drifted into professionalism almost by accident, and totally unexpectedly.

I am a bit more hopeful than you, Hugh, simply because some kids are late developers. Sooner or later another bolt from the blue will arrive on the scene.

Good point, Neville and Arnold were late bloomers too. The thing they all have in common? They're fucking tall. You can't train or condition that height.

In junior or semi-pro a coach will always pick a 6'2 lock who's a better player, but in professionalism you need someone who's 6'5 or more and coaches are willing to take risks to develop those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.