• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Our forwards got demolished and made crucial errors resulting in tries. The game was gone by that point.

Need a huge improvement in the piggies.

Phipps has to start ahead of White. Our backline looked so much better once he came on.

Bullshit. Backline will never look good with KB (Kurtley Beale) at 10.

Reactions: mst

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I rewound and played 2 critical plays - one high shot of Folau by Jane - yellow maybe at least a penalty incstaed 80m try to ABs. POITE dickhead.

Kick for touch when winger was ON THE LINE and jumped up and hit it back in. PLAY ON - DICKHEAD officials.

Not saying this would have chaged the outcome but definitely big moments in the game -

thats why Rugby in Australia will never grow because REFs keep screwing the whole thing up.

It really pains me to say but Wob fans have eclipsed the Poms as the biggest whingers for the last few years. I miss the days when Aussies would take it on the chin then come back twice as hard in the future. It can't be the refs fault every time you lose.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Where do you get your figures from? Here are some. You are way off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rugby_union_playing_countries
Haha,you have fallen for the second oldest trick in the book.
The Australian numbers are a fantasy.
In some cases kids who play club & school rugby,who might have been to a skills day,and entered in a 7's comp are counted as 4 players.
Once again JON showing the easiest way to meet your KPI's is to change how you measure the results,not the actual results.

T

TOCC

KB (Kurtley Beale) was horrible tonight, the defensive structure with hiim floating on the wing/in a sweeper role was exploited all night long.

9. Phibbs
10. Foley
11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
It's not about the number of players it's about the ranking of athletes playing rugby in each country. In NZ, the best sportsmen are playing rugby. In Australia the best sportsmen play AFL and NRL. If rugby was as big here as it it is NZ we would have the likes of Inglis, Hayne, Thurston, Cronk, Gallen, Matt Scott, Cam Smith playing for the Wallabies.

There is something of an issue with access to top class athletes, but the other major factor is the number of full time professional athletes.

In NZ the structure of the tournaments means you have double the number of professional rugby players, a fact which is compounded by the lack of competition by other football codes.

Ultimately the NRL sucks up a lot of potential pro rugby players at school boy level because there are 16 fully professional NRL teams willing to off them contracts, as opposed to 5 Super Rugby teams.

They go after NZ kids too to a certain extent, but ultimately the ITM Cup means that there is a clearer professional pathway in NZ for them if they want to stay.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My immediate thoughts on this game:-

Disgrace, the most points ever conceded in a Bledisloe.

This was a total flash back to when Beale played at 10 for the Tahs. Beale is not a 10s foreskin. Never has been never will be. Lateral running, shuffles to ball to static players, no penetration and no backing up that was the hallmark of his play for the Tahs this year when he didn't have the prime decision making responsibilities.

White - he wasn't the form 9 in Super Rugby and really I have to ask what he got selected ahead of Phipps on? His stance at the back of the ruck telegraphs when he is going to box kick for 5 or more seconds before it happens, so much so the ABs were running back en mass to field it before he even picked the ball up.

I unfortunately said at 30 minutes if Link didn't change White and Beale at half time and possibly Skelton it would be a 30 point loss.

There is nothing I can think of positive that comes out of this game, except possible it will now dawn on McKenzie that Beale and White should be dropped from the starting 15.

How can To'omua be rated so highly as a 10 when his first 5 passes went behind a static player or to ground. Defends mightily but a distributor I think not.

Finally where is the defensive structures of the Wallabies and the attack structures. The ABs found easy metres with wide passes everytime, and the Wallabies attack was essentially pass, pass, pass, run into contact, recycle and rehash. The only ting different was the lack of the aimless kicks we saw under Deans. Despite the hype I don't think the Wallabies have advanced that far apart from that singular change.

That is the Beldisloe gone and IMO the RC as well.

To be fair, it must be bloody hard to keep your defensive structures when one of the players in a key position just won't or can't tackle and others have to shuffle around to cover for him.

Redsman

Allen Oxlade (6)
so you're saying it wasn't a high shot on Folau... ?

and that the winger's feet weren't in touch when he played at the ball...

go look for yourself buddy - fairs fair and if the ref was fai could have been much closer ball game...

not to mention coming in from the side on rucks is ok too??

lautua taken out the half back... mate list goes on...

fact is doesn't help the code in this country at all when officials don't play by the rules let alone the cheating pricks from kiwiland... =)

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Wonder how the game rated? I was reading in the financial review how in the last few years it's failed to crack the 1 million mark, even dropping to less than half that in some years... that's a bit of a worry when Origin gets 4 million regularly.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Rushed up, got caught out of position, gave the AB's space, time and options....story of the first half, and by then the rot had set in :(

Woodenspoon

Herbert Moran (7)
Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever see the Wallabies lifting the Bledisloe Cup or winning a match against the All Blacks at Eden Park.
Today's match was totally disappointing for the Wallabies, there's not much to say about it, the guys in black could play their game plan however they wanted. Period.
I'm starting to think that most of the guys in the line-up today can't really make a difference at this level, and McKenzie is stepping back in time to the Deans' era, when most of the backs were shifted at different positions they had been playing at in their super rugby teams, so that they are less confident and have less continuity/skills in that position.
So, imho:
- White, with his highs and lows, isn't as reliable as Phipps.
- Beale at flyhalf has never impressed me. This year he's played at 12 or wing mostly and there's apparently no reason to have the super rugby topscorer Foley (who is also the first choice as flyhalf in Beale's team) on the bench.
- McCabe, we all know how committed he is, but if we wrote down a list of the best Australian wingers, he would honestly struggle to be in the first six.
- Horne, more or less, too.
Now it's unfair to blame the backs alone, but if McKenzie can't put a competitive line-up together and goes on the Deans' way, then the Wallabies are going nowhere.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I Just feel that generally To'omua has fronted up for us and he is a person you can generally trust not to fuck up. He is just the kind of player I think you persevere with and retain as a long term player to develop incumbency just like the All Blacks do. They are masters at choosing the right players to stick with and when and where to chop and change.

Shuffling him around doesn't do much good for usm he has proven time and time again that he can match the best at this level and had an off game where the whole team was generally crap.

Beale is a good footy player but I hope we can put the flyhalf thing to rest.

Beale is our version of Carlos Spencer. Didn't take long for the ABs to discern Carlos was more a liability than asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.