• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm even happier to say that I'm no longer involved, because ungrateful pricks give me the irrits.

So in Fourth Div, Irish got up in 2nd Div with a close one over Redfield OBs, but the latter took out 1st and 3rd Grade. Great work ROBs. If I wasn't twice your average age, with all the shit that comes with it, I might come play for you ;)

Thanks Nick. Was a good day. Almost a clean sweep.

We'd be happy to have you!

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Easiest Solution here - restrict the Sydney grade clubs to only one or 2 colts teams. We (Hunters Hill) have been lucky to have some great colts over the last few years who have recruited their mates and also to have a brilliant Juniors club, but we notice a big disconnect between the juniors and seniors because of both Schoolboy rugby taking over and then the large number of colts teams at the grade clubs.

Also Colts at u21 is too old. Change it to 20 to allow 17/18 yr olds to compete without fear of getting belted every weekend, and we will get the guys just out of school to continue playing rugby, rather than just giving it away.

As someone who played subbies colts the age of 21 is an incentive to play. I played for Gordon colts the yr before and had no desire to play grade and to have a season with more of my mates in a more relaxed atmosphere was awesome. If the age was reduced a huge number of players wouldn't ever play subbies, especially for clubs like Iggies and Knox who have large friends groups all join at once.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
DIV 2 semi's likely played in heavy conditions may favour the bigger packs

Barraclough Cup
Brothers vs Newport - Brothers
Hunters vs Forest - HH by 13

Stockdale Cup
Brothers vs Newport - Newport
Forest vs Blue Mountians - Forest by 3

Roberston Cup
Lindfield vs BOBS - Lindfield
UNSW vs Saints - Saints

Blunt Cup
Blue Mountains vs Lindfield - Mountains by 15+
UNSW vs Oatley - UNSW

Richardson Cup
Newport vs Hunters - Newport
UNSW vs BOBs - UNSW

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
As someone who played subbies colts the age of 21 is an incentive to play. I played for Gordon colts the yr before and had no desire to play grade and to have a season with more of my mates in a more relaxed atmosphere was awesome. If the age was reduced a huge number of players wouldn't ever play subbies, especially for clubs like Iggies and Knox who have large friends groups all join at once.

Clarify for me: when did you start Colts? How many years were you there for?

I'm trying to understand why your experience of another year playing Colts was improved by another year instead of playing open rugby, keeping in Gordon isn't Subbies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Had a similar experience to Peej played both colts and grade for both premiership clubs and subbies club. Having played for southern districts the previous year in colts I enjoyed being able to come back to my subbies club and have a extra year as a colt, getting to play with my mates again and not have to worry as much about getting thrown around every week because of my small frame like I would if I went straight to grade in either competition.

I don't really see any benefit in lowering subbie colt age from 21 to 20

mous

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yes. The aim should be to grow the game by growing your club. If you can't get a Colts side going, then you're not looking at your long-term future.

How would you go about setting up a colts side for a club like Merrylands or Fairvale/Lansvale, when you have to contend with a premier division side like Two Blues who are within the proximity? Circumstances are different when there is no 'Old Boys' affiliation with a school/college like say, Kings OB.

I do believe setting up a colts side within the club is important to it's future. I'd like to put out the idea of having 2 Grades + 1 Colts at Div 4.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
How would you go about setting up a colts side for a club like Merrylands or Fairvale/Lansvale, when you have to contend with a premier division side like Two Blues who are within the proximity? Circumstances are different when there is no 'Old Boys' affiliation with a school/college like say, Kings OB.

I do believe setting up a colts side within the club is important to it's future. I'd like to put out the idea of having 2 Grades + 1 Colts at Div 4.

I don't see Colts as an essential cog in developing a club.

We could have easily fielded a Colts side at Redfield in the past few seasons but have always preferred to throw everyone in together. Sure, a few guys get battered (especially when we used to play you) but it is far better for club harmony and growth to have everyone together.

mous

Frank Nicholson (4)
I don't see Colts as an essential cog in developing a club.

We could have easily fielded a Colts side at Redfield in the past few seasons but have always preferred to throw everyone in together. Sure, a few guys get battered (especially when we used to play you) but it is far better for club harmony and growth to have everyone together.

I know the social aspect plays a big part within Redfield.

Will you guys be moving up a division any time soon and filling out a colts side? What is the percentage split like for players progressing through juniors into the Eastwood colts sides, as opposed to moving onto open grade with Redfield OB?

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
I know the social aspect plays a big part within Redfield.

Will you guys be moving up a division any time soon and filling out a colts side? What is the percentage split like for players progressing through juniors into the Eastwood colts sides, as opposed to moving onto open grade with Redfield OB?

It varies. Some years we get 5 to 10 players straight out of school some years we get none. But invariably we rely on them all coming back at some stage.

Not sure what we will do next year. We'd like to go up but not we'll need to ensure we are able to field another team or how each of the competitions will pan out.

You think you guys will progress through to the GF this weekend?

mous

Frank Nicholson (4)
It varies. Some years we get 5 to 10 players straight out of school some years we get none. But invariably we rely on them all coming back at some stage.

Not sure what we will do next year. We'd like to go up but not we'll need to ensure we are able to field another team or how each of the competitions will pan out.

You think you guys will progress through to the GF this weekend?

Those are nice numbers straight out of school. I'd like to see you guys move up. I don't think I'm the only one who is curious to see you guys match it with the other clubs in Div 3.

Will be a tight one on Saturday against Merrylands, expecting a close contest. We've never played them all year, so we will be testing each other out for the first quarter. This is one of the few downsides to the cross-conference competition. Our form has been poor at the backend of the season and we were really lucky against Chatswood last week. Hopefully we can lift for the local derby, it will be a cracker.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Those are nice numbers straight out of school. I'd like to see you guys move up. I don't think I'm the only one who is curious to see you guys match it with the other clubs in Div 3.

Will be a tight one on Saturday against Merrylands, expecting a close contest. We've never played them all year, so we will be testing each other out for the first quarter. This is one of the few downsides to the cross-conference competition. Our form has been poor at the backend of the season and we were really lucky against Chatswood last week. Hopefully we can lift for the local derby, it will be a cracker.

No doubt there will be some big hits. Best of luck. Hope you win.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
How would you go about setting up a colts side for a club like Merrylands or Fairvale/Lansvale, when you have to contend with a premier division side like Two Blues who are within the proximity?

I think you'll agree neither of those clubs are in any danger of being third division any time soon. You can pretty much exclude western Sydney from this colts discussion until more momentum is gained

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Circumstances are different when there is no 'Old Boys' affiliation with a school/college like say, Kings OB.

Even we have big issues getting recent Kings leavers into our club.

The guys from 1s and 2s go straight to clubs like Eastwood, and the blokes in 3s, 4s and 5s (who we really want) think that there is nothing out there for them since they aren't good enough to play grade.

We've been working hard to get a presence within the school, but it is hard. You are talking to these kids in August about a decision you want them to make next February.

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)
I think you'll agree neither of those clubs are in any danger of being third division any time soon. You can pretty much exclude western Sydney from this colts discussion until more momentum is gained
Hills Rugby Club have won the Colts for the last 2 seasons and I am pretty sure only started their colts 3-4 years ago. Hawkesbury has had colts in the past. It is a difficult thing to keep going but it can be done.

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Clarify for me: when did you start Colts? How many years were you there for?

I'm trying to understand why your experience of another year playing Colts was improved by another year instead of playing open rugby, keeping in Gordon isn't Subbies.

I probably wouldn't of played if it wasn't colts.There is a huge lack of interest from large amounts of grade guys due to the attempt to create professional programs which will only get stronger with the NRC. My incentive was the chance to play with mates who were my age and for a lot of the guys its a first chance to play together due to grading of teams through school. I have continued to play but if I wasn't able to play that season in colts I probably wouldn't of played at all for a few years

WillyO

Stan Wickham (3)
Finals tips this week

Div 2 Brothers,Hunters Hill win
Div 3 Waverley Premiers
Div 6 Clovelly, Merrylands win

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Subbies have made a decision to exclude BOBs 4th grade team from the finals! Not bloody happy when you have plenty of clubs with social lower grade teams!

Status
Not open for further replies.