• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v South Africa - Perth - 6 September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Yet you seem to ignore his that he's generally (69.23%) been part of winning sides at test level when part of the 1st XV.

Yes but he is only 6.6666% of that starting team so how much impact can we attribute to him?

Mark Bartholomeusz and Luke Jones have 100% winning record. Should we pick them because of it?

T

Train Without a Station

I think we are harsh on players returning from injury. Take Lilo for an example - was never the same player after his ankle injury.

Give him some time. Plenty of potential there.

How are we harsh though? Either they are as good as they were before their injury or they aren't. They generally aren't and how is it harsh to say that? Nobody is expecting miracle recoveries, just saying if they aren't back to their best, do not select them as though they are at their best.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
How are we harsh though? Either they are as good as they were before their injury or they aren't. They generally aren't and how is it harsh to say that? Nobody is expecting miracle recoveries, just saying if they aren't back to their best, do not select them as though they are at their best.

I agree with you.

But comments like "he has done f-all for the wallabies in the past" is unfair.

As this assumes is he can't produce a quality performance in the future because of his poor performances in the past. This is just untrue - as players develop in time.

You look what made their past performances poor. In Higgers case it was his work-load, seagulling on the wing etc.

Then you look to see improvements in these areas. He had an entire super rugby season of improvements in the exact areas which made his past performances poor. Unlucky to then pick up an injury.

I'm not saying pick him straight away. I'm saying keep him in the squad until he gets back to his best.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Braveheart hits the nail on the head by stating that after the pack performed so badly you need at least a few heads to roll. At the same time most of those guys in the starting side deserve a chance to show they are better than that, because they are.

In reality the guys that I think should have their heads on the chopping bloke are Carter, Fardy and Palu.

I'm prepared to give Palu a reprieve for a few reasons. He's been in career best form this year and is the clear incumbent so he's allowed one shocker. He's also an important player for us against the boks, provided he's playing well. We don't have a like for like replacement and with no TPN or Moore we need him as a ball runner.

Fardy I like, but he has a very strong alternative breathing down his neck (Higgers). There are people that would argue that Higgers should be in the starting side and his last few performances have been good. Different type of player to Fardy. I like what Fardy offers, but Higgers' aggression and dynamic ball running should serve us well against the boks. There's enough reason for a change.

I don't think we should read too much into Higgers' poor Super form, other than it is the reason he has been either sitting in the stands or on the bench for the wallabies and not in the starting side. At his best he is gifted player, one which i'v noticed most South African fans rate (perhaps cause he's in the same mould as a lot of their backrowers).

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Yes but he is only 6.6666% of that starting team so how much impact can we attribute to him?

Mark Bartholomeusz and Luke Jones have 100% winning record. Should we pick them because of it?

If you think 1/1 is as demonstrably successful as 9/13, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Higgers is going to get picked (at some point) because he actually has the potential to perform at a high level, and the incubments aren't getting it done. It's two years since we beat the Boks and 3 since we beat the ABs so I don't subscribe to the notion that the current lineup is "almost there" because we win in the NH in December and draw with the ABs occasionally.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Braveheart hits the nail on the head by stating that after the pack performed so badly you need at least a few heads to roll. At the same time most of those guys in the starting side deserve a chance to show they are better than that, because they are.

In reality the guys that I think should have their heads on the chopping bloke are Carter, Fardy and Palu.

I'm prepared to give Palu a reprieve for a few reasons. He's been in career best form this year and is the clear incumbent so he's allowed one shocker. He's also an important player for us against the boks, provided he's playing well. We don't have a like for like replacement and with no TPN or Moore we need him as a ball runner.

Fardy I like, but he has a very strong alternative breathing down his neck (Higgers). There are people that would argue that Higgers should be in the starting side and his last few performances have been good. Different type of player to Fardy. I like what Fardy offers, but Higgers' aggression and dynamic ball running should serve us well against the boks. There's enough reason for a change.

I don't think we should read too much into Higgers' poor Super form, other than it is the reason he has been either sitting in the stands or on the bench for the wallabies and not in the starting side. At his best he is gifted player, one which i'v noticed most South African fans rate (perhaps cause he's in the same mould as a lot of their backrowers).

If Braveheart hit the nail on the head you got an even better strike..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I agree Palu was nowhere near his best but he made more tackles than any player in the team (made 11, missed 1).

Let's not go crucifying the one guy who did plenty of work in defence when our defence was awful. I agree he raced up too early a couple of times but at least he actually did some work. That was in 55 minutes on the field as well.

Part of making a couple of changes suggests that no one has a mortgage on their jersey and that bench players can force their way into the team with a good performance if the starting player doesn't perform.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
When do they announce the team? Next Thursday? We are going to need something to keep us going between now and then.

I would keep Palu in, no one can do what he does when on song. It has been a long season for the big fella, a week off might do him the world of good.

I would also retain Fardy and Carter. Give them both one more chance to have an impact. If not Higgers and Skelton get the next starting oppurtunity.

The only unforced changes for me would be Phipps and Foley at 9/10.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would guess the team will be announced Tuesday 12pm (whether that becomes 12pm Perth time is uncertain) as per the last couple of tests.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What do people think of Godwin's inclusion? I'm a bit ambivalent about it. It's a bit weird that he hasn't really performed that well this year and to be picked up straight away. But then Ewen did say he would've been picked if he was uninjured and now he's healthy.. Good luck to the kid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Phipps and Foley can't come in fast enough. The shock selection of Beale at fly half has been an unmitigated disaster no matter how you spin it and White has gone bizarrely off the rails.

With McCabe out, someone needs to come in to keep Speight's jersey warm for a week. Presumably that will be Kuridrani.

I'm really not sure what changes can be made in the forwards. Kepu has copped a lot of slack but there just is not another TH in the country capable of holding his own against an international side. I believe TPN is fit again? So he'll slot straight back in for Charles. And Slipper has been our best on ground 2 weeks running so no worries there. The back row looks settled to me. Call it a bad week. None of them are likely to change.

The locks are tough. Simmons is constantly one of the worst performers on the field but still seems too essential to the lineout to leave out. Carter has been playing injured for months now and needs a break. Horwill has been awful most of the year but has started to return to some of his old form in the last month or 2. If he is firing again, he's gotta be in the mix. Skelton I assume has a mortgage on the bench lock position as he fits the definition of the 'finisher' Link is after there. From the current squad, I'd look at starting the Queenslanders with Skelton on the bench and Carter rested until the EOYT. But I'd be watching Jones like a hawk in NRC because he has been the clear top pick all year.

We really should dust up the Saffas in Perth. They have been at least as bad as us this past fortnight. If the forwards hold their own, and the backs get some half decent service from the new halves, Izzy will tear them to shreds.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What do people think of Godwin's inclusion? I'm a bit ambivalent about it. It's a bit weird that he hasn't really performed that well this year and to be picked up straight away. But then Ewen did say he would've been picked if he was uninjured and now he's healthy.. Good luck to the kid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not expecting him to come into the 23 any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.