• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2014 Finals Week Two Results:
PREMIER DIVISION:
First Grade:
Albury 31 bt Waratahs 19

Second Grade:
CSU 33 bt Tumut 21

FIRST DIVISION:
First Grade:
Tumut 33 bt Temora 24

Second Grade:
Wagga City 25 bt Ag College 22

Third Grade:
Junee 10 bt Waratahs 8
Ag College 7 bt Hay 3

Under 17's:
Wagga City 45 bt Temora 0
Young 13 bt Waratahs 12

Women's:
Leeton 31 bt Griffith 17
City 32 bt Ag College 17

GRAND FINALS, Saturday 31st August, Conolly Park Wagga:
PREMIER DIVISION:
First Grade:
Griffith v Albury

Second Grade:
Waratahs v CSU

FIRST DIVISION:
First Grade:
Wagga City v Tumut

Second Grade:
Young v Wagga City

Third Grade:
Junee v Ag College

Under 17's:
Wagga City v Young

Women's:
Leeton v Wagga City

Keep an eye out on the front page of GAGR next Friday for a preview of the Premier Division First Grade match.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Of the 14 teams involved on Grand Final day next week, there are 10 clubs involved on the day which is a great result for the zone.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
City have 4 teams in grand finals - I thinks that's a great result for rugby in Wagga

U/17's is a great effort for City. Wish them all the best.

Wagga City are in 4 GF's in the Romano's Cup.
The. Romano's.Cup.

The Romano's Cup is a little like representing England in surfing, an achievement of sorts, but at the end of the day, no one is really interested or remembers it.

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
Too cynical Independent. Grand final opportunities are rare at the best of times. I think the way SIRU has structured the competition is great, it rewards the big time clubs and also recognises the efforts of the battlers. Try and tell the players and plethora of supporters playing in next weeks Romano's Cup games that it means nothing and see where it gets you...

berrablue

Frank Nicholson (4)
I just noticed that CSU have signed up with the Country Eagles. Does anyone know if this will help the uni teams with players? I would of thought because it's Brumbies territory they would use CSU Bathurst if they were going to use the uni to develop players. Anyone heard anything?

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
It would be very difficult for NSW Country players to play at CSU Wagga as all clubs in SIRU are affiliated to ACT Southern NSW Rugby Union.This means that all players are affiliated to ACT Southern NSW Rugby Union. For those players who wish to play in a NSW affiliated representative team they would have to play for a club in a NSW administered zone. An exclusion directive was given to all SIRU players (seniors ,juniors & schools) from all NSW Country teams and their carnivals. This exclusion decision was made by the NSW Country Rugby Union Executive and the directive was dated 09/Nov/2004. To my knowledge it still stands.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
An exclusion directive was given to all SIRU players (seniors ,juniors & schools) from all NSW Country teams and their carnivals. This exclusion decision was made by the NSW Country Rugby Union Executive and the directive was dated 09/Nov/2004. To my knowledge it still stands.

It still stands, although SIRU juniors do play at the NSW juniors age grade competition on the June long weekend I believe.

I think the last player/s from this zone to represent NSW Country at a senior level were Dean Saddler and James Heriot, possibly Andrew Glover and Pat Barrett (although I think they were in Armidale at the time).

At a Colts level, Daniel Francis, Paul Hood, Geoff Someone from CSU and some other bloke from Waratahs in the early 2000's.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The #SIRU2014 Grand Final Preview is up on the front page.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/siru-2014-grand-final-preview-griffith-blacks-v-albury-steamers/

Check out the lower grades below:

OK, so here we are, Grand Final time. I’ve waited 19 long weeks for this and am really looking forward to seeing some great rugby on the day.

2014 is the year of the “back to back” premiership chance with many clubs hoping they can bag a second Premiership in as many years. The Albury Steamers (1st Grade), Wagga Waratahs (2nd Grade), Junee Rams (3rd Grade) and the Leeton Dianas (Women’s) are all looking to notch up back to back Premierships.

#SIRU2014 First Division First Grade – Wagga City v Tumut at 1:10pm Conolly Park #1
Referee: Mark Del Gigante

Wagga City cruised past the Tuskers two weeks ago to make into the Grand Final while the Tumut Bulls battled it out against Temora last week at Jarrah Park. Both teams are capable of turning it on when they have to and will be keen for their forward packs to dominate.

City missed out on the Premier Division by one measly competition point and now have the opportunity to take home some silverware tomorrow. City’s boom recruit for the 2014 season has been James Curgenven who has shown his class at 5/8 for the Boiled Lollies and will be a key contributor in this match with his wide passing and long kicking game.

Tumut have been well served by Christino Manuolevao at 5/8 during 2014, “Tino” has the ability to split defences at will with his deceptive running style and silky ball handling. His combination with Scott Gibson out wide will be important for the outcome of this match.

Both these teams have traditionally strong forward packs and will both be looking to hold their own in this regard. The Bulls have arguably got a little bit more experience in this department as they have been together longer than the City pack. Scrums will be strongly contested in an effort to exert dominance in this area.

Rambo Lagaali has been a very consistent performer for them this season and has really led by example with aggressive ball running and uncompromising defence. In the Bulls backrow, Will Luff was excellent last week and will need to put in a similar performance on Grand Final Day.

Given the similarities in these two teams (large forward packs, expansive backs) I believe the key match ups through the centre of the field and through the back rows will go a long way to determining the outcome of this match.

Players to watch: Jon Carmody, Will Luff, Christino Manuolevao and Scott Gibson for the Bulls. Justin Sheridan, Rambo Lagaali, James Curgenven and Hamish Wrafter for the Boiled Lollies.

Premier Division Second Grade – Waratahs v CSU at 11:20am Conolly Park #1

Referee: Sam Donelan

This match is fast becoming a standard Grand Final hitout and has seen some great performances put in by both teams over the years. CSU have the wood over Waratahs and have been a bogey team in second grade for about a decade now.

Both teams tend to play a structured style of game plan and both have players who could easily hold their own in first grade.

Players to watch: Steve Dawson and Tom Finucane for Waratahs, Andrew Dutton and Luke Richardson for CSU

First Division Second Grade – Young v Wagga City at 11:35am Conolly Park #2

Referee: Marcus Lotz

The Yabbies have seen a resurgence within their club in 2014 and this match will be very important to them. Their second grade team have worked hard all year to support first grade and many of these players have been at the club for a long time.

Wagga City have also been a club that have supported their first grade side well this year and will be keen to make it a City double in the First Division tomorrow.

Players to watch: Orisi Loco and Dave Woodward at Young, Charles Callaghan and Eloni Raisele for City.

Third Grade – Junee v Ag College at 10:15am Conolly Park #2

Referee: Marty Ryan

One of the peculiarities of the Third Grade competition is that these guys have not played each other during the 2014 season which makes for an interesting preparation for the Grand Final. I’m sure there will have been plenty of phone calls around the zone looking for inside knowledge from these two clubs.

The reality is that they are pretty closely linked with many of the Junee guys having some sort of history with either Ag College or guys playing for Ag College.

Players to watch: Dan Moloney and Sam Hobbs at Junee (why aren’t these guys playing first grade!!??) and Lachlan Woodhouse Tom De Mattia at Aggies.

Under 17’s – Young v Wagga City at 10:00am Conolly Park #1

Referee: Mark Harris

The under 17’s matches have proved to be the most exciting matches of the day on Grand Final Day in recent years as the younger players throw the ball around at will. Hopefully we see more of this tomorrow when the Boiled Lollies take on the Yabbies in the first hitout for the day!

Players to watch: Dylon Jennings and Jonno Lally for Wagga City, Casey Wall and Luke Dolpissen for the Yabbies.

Women’s – Leeton v Wagga City at 3:00pm Conolly Park #1

Referee: James Martel

The Women’s Sevens rugby competition has been going from strength to strength in 2014 and has thrown up some of the most free-flowing games of the season. These girls are committed to the game and will throw the ball around in an effort to put points on the board. This match should be a high scoring affair as there is plenty of skill in this group.

Players to watch: Monique Higgins and Louise Strachan for the Dianas, Sammy Maxwell and Beck Lally for Wagga City.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Griffith Blacks v Albury Steamers
- Albury by 3.
- Rivcoll Old Boys Medal - R.Manion
Tumut Bulls v Wagga City Boiled Lollies
- Wagga City by 7
- Warwick Tout Medal - Rambo Lagalli
2nd Grade
CSU Reddies v Wagga Waratahs
-Tahs by 7
- President Medal - Tom Finucane
Young Yabbies v Wagga City
-Young by 5
-Vice President Medal - More. Hudson
3rds
Junee Rams v Wagga Agricultural College
- Junee by 3
- Ken cMullen Medal - D. Maloney
Women
Leeton Dianas v Wagga City
Leeton by 10
Adamson Medal - Team effort!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2014 Grand Final Results:
Premier Division:
First Grade:
Griffith 16 bt Albury 11
MOM: Richard Latu

Second Grade:
CSU 19 bt Waratahs 10
MOM: Andrew Dutton

First Division:
First Grade:
Wagga City 32 bt Tumut 23
MOM: James Curgenven

Second Grade:
Wagga City 38 bt Young 0
MOM: Dave Woodward

Third Grade:
Junee 29 bt Ag College 22
MOM: Hugh Kanaley

Under 17's:
Wagga City 17 bt Young 12
MOM: Jonno Lally

Women's:
Wagga City 17 bt Leeton 15
MOM: Kira Hallam

Bill Castle Medal for Best and Fairest:
Premier Division:
Jake Eaglesham - Wagga Waratahs

First Division:
Rambo Lagaali and James Curgenven - Wagga City

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Congratulations to all the winners yesterday & commiserations to the defeated. I'm sure that there were numerous post mortem conductted at various licenced premises around the zone last night!
With 8 months to go until the 2015 comp begins, it has absolutely floored me as to how many whispers and rumours I have heard in the last couple of weeks. In fact heard two beauties yesterday. Most I've heard in an off season ever I think! Many are pretty factual also, which could be either a blessing or a curse, depending on the side of the fence you sit.....
Bring on the silly season

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
Great day at the rugby, Steamers did well to contain a team with so many imposing players. The Steamers coach has learnt not to speak to media within 30 seconds of the finish. The reality was, there was a forward pass and the clearing kick was touched. Ah well. Actually the officiating, in not just the Grand Final but all year has been top notch.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Great day at the rugby, Steamers did well to contain a team with so many imposing players. The Steamers coach has learnt not to speak to media within 30 seconds of the finish. The reality was, there was a forward pass and the clearing kick was touched. Ah well. Actually the officiating, in not just the Grand Final but all year has been top notch.
I'm glad I wasn't out there for that game, there were some brutal hits being put on by both teams!

All the best for the off season @namtrak, three grand finals in a row is a great effort in anyone's book, can the Steamers make it four in a row?

I would agree, the refs have done well this year in what has been a very even and tightly contested competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.