• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Sydney Rams . NRC Official Team Thread

Thebank2014

Allen Oxlade (6)
#POSITION FULL NAME CLUB

1. LOOSEHEAD PROP Benn Robinson Eastwood

2. HOOKER Hugh Roach Eastwood

3. TIGHTHEAD PROP Guy Millar Eastwood

4. LEFT LOCK Jared Barry Eastwood

5. RIGHT LOCK Steve Mafi Parramatta

6. OPENSIDE FLANKER Hugh Perrett Eastwood

7. BLINDSIDE FLANKER Chris Alcock Eastwood

8. NUMBER EIGHT Jed Holloway (Captain) Southern Districts

9. SCRUMHALF Vasa Falaelli Newcastle

10. FLYHALF Ben Volavola Southern Districts

11. LEFTWING Taqele Naiyaravaro West Harbour

12. INSIDE CENTRE Henry Taefu Sunnybank

13. OUTSIDE CENTRE Michael McDougall Eastwood

14. RIGHT WING Atieli Pakalani Southern Districts

15. FULLBACK Dane Chisholm Manly

REPLACEMENTS

16. RESERVE Maile Ngauamo Southern Districts

17. RESERVE Jed Gillespie (FR) Eastwood

18. RESERVE Dave Lolohea (FR) West Harbour

19. RESERVE Dylan Sigg Manly

20. RESERVE Pat Sio Eastwood

21. RESERVE Mark Swanepoel Manly

22. RESERVE Jai Ayoub Eastwood

23. RESERVE Henry Seavula West Harbour

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
#POSITION FULL NAME CLUB

1. LOOSEHEAD PROP Benn Robinson Eastwood

2. HOOKER Hugh Roach Eastwood

3. TIGHTHEAD PROP Guy Millar Eastwood

4. LEFT LOCK Jared Barry Eastwood

5. RIGHT LOCK Steve Mafi Parramatta

6. OPENSIDE FLANKER Hugh Perrett Eastwood

7. BLINDSIDE FLANKER Chris Alcock Eastwood

8. NUMBER EIGHT Jed Holloway (Captain) Southern Districts

9. SCRUMHALF Vasa Falaelli Newcastle

10. FLYHALF Ben Volavola Southern Districts

11. LEFTWING Taqele Naiyaravaro West Harbour

12. INSIDE CENTRE Henry Taefu Sunnybank

13. OUTSIDE CENTRE Michael McDougall Eastwood

14. RIGHT WING Atieli Pakalani Southern Districts

15. FULLBACK Dane Chisholm Manly

REPLACEMENTS

16. RESERVE Maile Ngauamo Southern Districts

17. RESERVE Jed Gillespie (FR) Eastwood

18. RESERVE Dave Lolohea (FR) West Harbour

19. RESERVE Dylan Sigg Manly

20. RESERVE Pat Sio Eastwood

21. RESERVE Mark Swanepoel Manly

22. RESERVE Jai Ayoub Eastwood

23. RESERVE Henry Seavula West Harbour
Naiyaravoro is Parramatta not West Harbour

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
In related news, which should shut up a few of the old women complaining about catchment:

http://ramsrugby.com.au/news/one-family-pcs-rams-2014-development-team-announced/

ONE FAMILY: PCS RAMS 2014 DEVELOPMENT TEAM ANNOUNCED

The PCS Greater Sydney RAMS are delighted to continue our investment in the catchment area with the announcement of a RAMS Development Team.

Current Parramatta Two Blues Head Coach, Gerrard Fasavalu, will take on the role of RAMS Development Team Head Coach for 2014, and is excited by the opportunity the squad provides talented young players.

“I have come on board to help develop players in the West and strengthen grass roots rugby in our catchment area. This team is staked with local emerging talent,” Fasavalu said.

RAMS Spokesperson, Marshall Brentnall, echoed Fasavalu’s thoughts on the importance of the Development Squad, which will focus on players under 23 years of age:

“Our commitment is to provide pathways for our local playing talent. I’m sure many of these players will be pressing the selectors for 2015 full RAMS NRC contracts.”

The general purpose of the RAMS 2014 Development Squad is as follows:
  • To ensure top catchment players are at the forefront of 2015 NRC RAMS selection;
  • To reward players for 2014 performances in club rugby;
  • To provide players with NRC RAMS insights and experiences, and
  • To provide NRC RAMS with additional player options for the 2014 tournament
Games have already been confirmed against the Waratahs Under-20s, at Granville Park on Tuesday September 16 (5pm), and on Sunday September 28 at Brookvale Oval as a curtain-raiser to the North Harbour Rays NRC match. An additional game is planned for Monday October 6 against an NRC Invitational side.

The Greater Sydney RAMS believe a tournament of Development Squads in NSW would be a welcome addition alongside the Buildcorp NRC in 2015.
Players selected in the RAMS Development Squad will receive:
  • RAMS playing kit;
  • RAMS Development Squad training shirt;
  • RAMS Development Squad polo shirt (exclusive);
  • VIP Tickets to all Home Games;
  • (RAMS NRC squad players will attend Dev Team games also)
  • RAMS HQ welcome dinner, and
  • Experience training at RAMS facilities, including Concord Oval and Sydney Football Stadium.
The RAMS Development Team for 2014 is as follows:

# - POSITION - FULL NAME - CLUB
1 - LOOSEHEAD PROP - Daniel Arona - Penrith
2 - HOOKER - Liu Taituave - Parramatta
3 - TIGHTHEAD PROP - Brendan Crosilla - Parramatta
4 - LEFT LOCK - Ofiu Manekeu - West Harbour
5 - RIGHT LOCK - Jake Douglas - Southern Districts
6 - BLINDSIDE FLANKER - Josh Kaifa (Captain) - Parramatta
7 - OPENSIDE FLANKER - Even Tuckwell - Parramatta
8 - NUMBER EIGHT - Harrison Orr - West Harbour
9 - SCRUMHALF - Kaleb Rech - Parramatta
10 - FLYHALF - Dom Graham - Parramatta
11 - LEFT WING - Alex Somoa - Parramatta
12 - INSIDE CENTRE - Lani Tiatia - Parramatta
13 - OUTSIDE CENTRE - Larry Hermans - Parramatta
14 - RIGHT WING - Ben Connolly - Southern Districts
15 - FULLBACK - Brad Curtis - Eastwood

REPLACEMENTS
16 - RESERVE - Gerard Faitotoa (Prop) - Parramatta
17 - RESERVE - Aaron Blacklock (Hooker) - Parramatta
18 - RESERVE - Cameron Orr (Prop) - West Harbour
19 - RESERVE - Siatua Solaese (Lock) - Parramatta
20 - RESERVE - Drew Pelasio (Backrow) - Penrith
21 - RESERVE - Matt Gonzalez (Scrumhalf) - Eastwood
20 - RESERVE - Jono Brown (Utility Back) - Southern Districts
21 - RESERVE - Tui Faasisila (Utility Back) - Parramatta
Further players to be added as required.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bloody good move. Interesting that some mobs seem to have gone for a U20 "development" side, which is appearing to "develop" kids more for selection into NSW U20's more than developing and assessing them for suitability for the Franchise next year.

Will the Development sides play each other in Curtain raisers (local derbies where transport logistics are nil), and if so an U23 selection up against an U20 Development side may be interesting.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'd say the U23 Rams side and the U20s Tahs squad would be a good match up, given the relative gap in talent we all know exists in Sydney Rugby.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Might have put you crook there @Pfitzy. I'm probably wrong but I think that the Rays (and someone else) have a development squad that is Under 20's, and that one of the reasons for going for U20's was to prepare them to compete for positions in the Tah's U20 squad. There is always kudos to the club if a stack of their development players get selected for higher honours.

Either that or I may be confusing the whole issue with what a number of Gaggerlanders have suggested was that there should be a realignment of the pathway at Junior GoldCup (U15 and U17), U18 and U20 along NRC franchise lines, and where possible these teams play inter-franchise age group games as curtain raisers.

I think U23 is a more sensible age for a squad, if the main purpose of that squad is to develop, assess and prepare the players for a gig in the NRC in the following year or two.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Might have put you crook there @Pfitzy. I'm probably wrong but I think that the Rays (and someone else) have a development squad that is Under 20's, and that one of the reasons for going for U20's was to prepare them to compete for positions in the Tah's U20 squad. There is always kudos to the club if a stack of their development players get selected for higher honours.

Either that or I may be confusing the whole issue with what a number of Gaggerlanders have suggested was that there should be a realignment of the pathway at Junior GoldCup (U15 and U17), U18 and U20 along NRC franchise lines, and where possible these teams play inter-franchise age group games as curtain raisers.

I think U23 is a more sensible age for a squad, if the main purpose of that squad is to develop, assess and prepare the players for a gig in the NRC in the following year or two.
The Rays have got an U21 development squad.
There appears to be no logic as to how they arrived at that age group.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The article had a reference to these guys playing against the Tahs U20s on the 16th of September. So we are both a bit crossed in our wires

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
The Rays U21's smashed the NSW U20's. Looking at it although the Rays had a lot of this year's colts NSW U20's also had a few schoolboys playing.

So in some cases it was U18's vs U21's.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Size wise. Skills and fitness will make it even and I'll back the younger men to finish each half stronger

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Rays U21's smashed the NSW U20's. Looking at it although the Rays had a lot of this year's colts NSW U20's also had a few schoolboys playing.

So in some cases it was U18's vs U21's.

Correct - but it never purported to be the NSW Under 20s. The team was called the NSW Waratahs Colts and it was the precursor to the 2015 NSW Under 20s.

This team will go on to compete in the 2015 Under 20 nationals which were held for the first time this year.

As you indicated: they were U/19 qualified for 2014 and also included a couple of Under 18 current schoolboys who played their rugby outside of the main rugby schools associations, but were picked in schools rep teams.

These kind of games will give the Waratahs staff, who organise the NSW Under 20s, an early look at candidates for next year. If the young fellows get a towelling from the older blokes at least Tim Rapp will get an idea about who can deal with the situation best and weed out youngsters who have "all the skills" but not the starch - or not yet.

When the training group for 2015 is chosen there will be new faces in the squad but any lad who can cut the mustard in these games will get a big tick on the clipboard.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
14 Parramatta Ram development players ...really
Head coach Gerrard needs to have a good look at selections this is quite frankly a bid to develop Paramatta at the cost of other clubs .
I guess it's a matter of who you know .. Same game just different competition
Who has been left out?
Pretty much all Souths players already getting a gig either at Rams or other teams, same with Woodies players.
Emus dont really have that many players of note, the players worth a shot are in Rams already or now in this group, the rest have gone back to league clubs.
Possibly a couple of Pirates left out, but the squad has been picked on merit imo.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
14 Parramatta Ram development players ...really
Head coach Gerrard needs to have a good look at selections this is quite frankly a bid to develop Paramatta at the cost of other clubs .
I guess it's a matter of who you know .. Same game just different competition

Proving beyond all doubt that you can put in place good initiatives, but someone will still whine like an old fishwife about it.

Is your name Sheek?