• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rams v Vikings NRC Round 2: Thursday 28 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
The Spirit are at their limit for Super Rugby players so they had to offer other players around.

I believe Alcock was re-signed to the Force during this year.
That makes sense. We only have the one side to put players 2. How many s15 players can a NRC team have again?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Agree Braveheart - he's always been a good player but you'd have to wonder about his gut.

At 115kgs and 197 cms it doesn't sound to bad but when he was playing for the Oz Baas v the NSW U/20s earllier in the year someone asked me who the fat prop was. The players were a long way away; so I couldn't recognise him; but when he came nearer I realised it was Barry.

He's lost a bit of weight since then but if he wants to get into Super Rugby he needs to get himself into the Invited Players group at the Tahs to strip some weight off him.

Its funny that Im not sure whether they were tight Jerseys but Fotu and La La looked they had swallowed a doona last night.

Both had some decent impact for the Vikings but wasnt a good look.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Watch an ITM cup game. Then watch this game. No wonder we got pumped last weekend by 50. I think the NZ high school games would be better to watch. Pretty average. Hopefully it gets better.
You're not comparing apples to apples. Compare it in five years time when the competition is more mature; some would say longer.

But don't compare it until the Aussie players are with their team pre-season as long as the Kiwi teams are, and they have the same infrastructure that teams like Canterbury and Auckland etc have.

Maybe that won't happen and maybe we won't churn out coaches like they do in NZ but until it does we can't make a meaningful comparison.

But we can notice the shortcomings and suggest how they be improved within our means.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well that's good to hear. Still pretty poor though. Don't you think ?

From the Rams point of view, as a team that has known each other about ten days, they simply pushed too many passes and didn't value the ball enough. This is not unheard of when you have a coach like Melrose who values attack above all other things.

For the Vikings... well, I'm not sure what their excuse is, because their club guys looked bloody great for the first half. They outshone most of the Brumbies there.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Its funny that Im not sure whether they were tight Jerseys but Fotu and La La looked they had swallowed a doona.

Lala's getting the right weight to be a hooker. Maybe folks from outside Sydney don't know but he used to play 7 all the time for Randwick - then Cheika invited him to train at the Tahs last October.

They needed another hooker at training before the Wallabies came back after their rest period - and TPN would be available. I got a bit of a shock when I saw him throwing to the lineout at training before Xmas, but he doesn't look too much out of place now.

Maybe this NRC can re-launch him. If he is good enough playing hooker in the NRC he could get a third hooker Super spot as someone who could cover on the openside as well.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I thought Jared Barry was excellent last night. A real standout for the Rams.

He carried really well, was really physical and was also solid in the lineout. He's clearly carrying a bit of extra padding but he looks like a guy who has the base skills who could excel in a professional environment.

One to watch for the Tahs.

He certainly is a large lad. The Hooker for the Vikings, (Lam?) didnt seem too worried though, cleaned his clock twice.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He certainly is a large lad. The Hooker for the Vikings, (Lam?) didnt seem too worried though, cleaned his clock twice.
Lala Lam has always been a bit of a bruiser. Hopefully the conversion to hooker is the making of him.

He has the physicality to play at a higher level.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Lala's getting the right weight to be a hooker. Maybe folks from outside Sydney don't know but he used to play 7 all the time for Randwick - then Cheika invited him to train at the Tahs last October.

They needed another hooker at training before the Wallabies came back after their rest period - and TPN would be available. I got a bit of a shock when I saw him throwing to the lineout at training before Xmas, but he doesn't look too much out of place now.

Maybe this NRC can re-launch him. If he is good enough playing hooker in the NRC he could get a third hooker Super spot as someone who could cover on the openside as well.

Remember him playing 7 for the Brumby Runners (or Vikings?) around 5 - 6 years ago. He looked quite promising at the time. Think he handled 2 quite well last night. Put a couple of hard hits on Barry as I recall.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Pfitzy fucking tore it up in the crowd tonight. 1500 would be stretching it IMHO. I thought maybe topping out at a thousand.

Best moment was the last Brumkings (Vibies?) lineout on half way and I took it upon myself to give their hooker a new call.

This was my favourite part :)

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Pfitzy.JPG

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hahaha! Gold! That's Shtina (wearing my horned beanie) and Braveheart losing their shit to my right.

Badger is on the left, RugbyFuture has his head concealed by the substitutes graphic

Status
Not open for further replies.