• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v South Africa - Perth - 6 September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think he's absolutely a flashy player and has dominated from a young age. He was so good at under 20 level there's no way he wouldn't have made it here both at that level and immediately into a Super Rugby side afterwards.

What would he have done between 18 and 20 in this country at the time to get noticed?
I think they're very different players but, either way, foley ain't our 10: which proves my point.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well the Waratahs have the silverware in the cabinet, so I think that answers the question.
True, but the Waratahs style worked for many reasons, that all involved 1-23 executing a particular style. Phipps - Foley - Beale worked because of the overall style / plan, and might not have been as useful with another style, say, Jakeball.
But I agree Beale is better as a 12, provided he can be hidden / covered for / glossed over / buffed-up to shine in defence.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
he's actually best as a 15..but there's a 6'4 stumbling block there that unfortunately for KB (Kurtley Beale) didn't work out as an AFL player..hence he plays 12 at the Tahs so they can have him, Foley and Folau, throw Horne in too, all on the park at the one time..

I'm now willing to concede that everyone should recognise he is our second best 15 and not our best or second best anything else..he's fine as 10/12 cover off the bench too, but best as an outside back at test level..

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
True, but the Waratahs style worked for many reasons, that all involved 1-23 executing a particular style. Phipps - Foley - Beale worked because of the overall style / plan, and might not have been as useful with another style, say, Jakeball.
But I agree Beale is better as a 12, provided he can be hidden / covered for / glossed over / buffed-up to shine in defence.

How much longer for the avatar etc?
I'm now willing to concede that everyone should recognise he is our second best 15 and not our best or second best anything else..he's fine as 10/12 cover off the bench too, but best as an outside back at test level..

do we actually have another 15 in the country - I see Woodward couldn't be persuaded to stay......

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
i think someone else made the point that KB (Kurtley Beale) has been coached badly defensive-wise - at lower levels they'd just run him out and he'd bag a hat trick each half and therefore there was no need to even bother with his defence..so the higher he goes the bigger an issue that neglect becomes..

a very talented individual and MAYBE Link has been taking a punt that he can sort his defence out..otherwise he goes to waste..

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
About 24 hours, 20-odd minutes...
Oh yes, I am counting it down.
Then I shall free myself from the stain of the Pillock.

You wish. He has the screenshot as his signature.

This will be around for a while yet, repeatedly appearing at the most inappropriate time, like the creepy drunken uncle at the wedding.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
i think someone else made the point that KB (Kurtley Beale) has been coached badly defensive-wise - at lower levels they'd just run him out and he'd bag a hat trick each half and therefore there was no need to even bother with his defence..so the higher he goes the bigger an issue that neglect becomes..

a very talented individual and MAYBE Link has been taking a punt that he can sort his defence out..otherwise he goes to waste..
'twas I! Everyone from the Joeys coaching staff onwards should probably cop a bit of stick for that.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You wish. He has the screenshot as his signature.

This will be around for a while yet, repeatedly appearing at the most inappropriate time, like the creepy drunken uncle at the wedding.
I have this.
3215413-mjolnir+-+hammer+of+thor+prop_color_12x-lrg.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

This is a bigger problem than KB (Kurtley Beale), it exists right through junior rugby - quite often the best players aren't coached in the younger age groups because they get by being bigger/faster/stronger/more skilful than everyone else. If you have half a dozen in the team they'll win most of the time without much coaching and junior rugby is (unfortunately) all about winning isn't it?:rolleyes: .

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This is a bigger problem than KB (Kurtley Beale), it exists right through junior rugby - quite often the best players aren't coached in the younger age groups because they get by being bigger/faster/stronger/more skilful than everyone else. If you have half a dozen in the team they'll win most of the time without much coaching and junior rugby is (unfortunately) all about winning isn't it?:rolleyes: .

On top of that the less developed kids are tossed out on the wing or in the front row where they can't get in the way of the 'stars'..I am involved in the U11's here (which is the stepping stone age group), had a pretty back seat role this year but am going to address that next year..

Status
Not open for further replies.