• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
That Winston yunupingu from scots 16As ... Is one to watch ... Might reserve my judgement until after next weeks scots v newington game , but (for what it's worth) I reckon he has the potential of a young kurtley Beale ... Maybe not quite as electric, but big, agile,unselfish and seems a real talent

Another reason why gps rugby remains alive and well , and will be exciting in years to come

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Saw a bit of the future of gps rugby today at boronia park..under 14s lindfield v hunters hill ... Featuring some of newington, joeys and shores future stars ... Including the likes of Farr-jones junior and Wallace junior ... However the real talent was on the lower field in the blacktown under 14 team ... Which looked more like an under 16 team

IMHO If australian rugby is ever to compete with the kiwis, the likes of Farr-jones might need to work out how we retain these blacktown giants rather than have them lost to the code ...

Peter Bell

Frank Row (1)
I'd agree that Blacktown is certainly the team to beat in this age group, but i think that isnt because they have real talent across the park but their sheer size up front - so i'll have to respectfully disagree with you SonnyDill!

The size of the forward pack for Blacktown is just phenomenal for 14 year olds. If you get one or two of that size in a team you'd usually consider yourself blessed, but to get 5 or 6 - thats just sheer luck (or good recruiting).

Having said that - the number 8 for blacktown (their captain) played a really good game scoring two tries off the back of the scrum close to the line. Lane Cove just couldn't handle the size that close to the line and didn't adjust their defensive structure even when they knew he was coming. He'll be one to watch in the future.

The blacktown fullback got plenty of practice with his kicking and was unlucky not to slot over some difficult kicks including one that came back off the cross bar from out wide.

It'll be interesting to see if Blacktown is able to build the speed and skill levels of these kids over the next two or three years to match their imposing size. If that happens, then they'll truly be seen as players of note. In the interests of expanding the game, lets hope that happens!

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd agree that Blacktown is certainly the team to beat in this age group, but i think that isnt because they have real talent across the park but their sheer size up front - so i'll have to respectfully disagree with you SonnyDill!

The size of the forward pack for Blacktown is just phenomenal for 14 year olds. If you get one or two of that size in a team you'd usually consider yourself blessed, but to get 5 or 6 - thats just sheer luck (or good recruiting)

Wrong thread gents...this is the 2015 GPS thread not Sydney juniors

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Possible Joeys team for next year

1. Fazzari (16As)
2. Crotti (16As)
3. Horton (1sts)
4. Gitteos (1sts)
5. O'Connell (2nds)
6. Leaver (1sts)
7. Simpson (1sts)
8. Anderson (1sts)
9. Wennerbom (16As)
10. Thomas (2nds)
11. Grant (2nds)
12. King (1sts)
13. Clements (1sts)
14. Jaffer-Williams (2nds)
15. Wright (1sts)

From 15As this year Angles-Corke and Miti could be pushing for opens spots. Looks like a very handy side.

shortballking

Herbert Moran (7)

1. Fazzari (16As)
2. Crotti (16As)
3. Horton (1sts)
4. Gitteos (1sts)
5. O'Connell (2nds)
6. Leaver (1sts)
7. Simpson (1sts)
8. Anderson (1sts)
9. Wennerbom (16As)
10. Thomas (2nds)
11. Grant (2nds)
12. King (1sts)
13. Clements (1sts)
15. Wright (1sts)

From 15As this year Angles-Corke and Miti could be pushing for opens spots. Looks like a very handy side.
Is Anderson returning? I thought he was in year 12?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Couple of good 16as fixtures this weekend ... First you have joeys v kings who I believe had a 10 all draw in round 1, then you have scots versus newington , where newington would be favourites but scots showing some potential

Also in nursery joeys 15as match could be ok

And 14s scots v newington would only be good if the 3 newington players playing up, played back down, as a rest before their Sunday semi final ...

Theking12

Stan Wickham (3)

1. Fazzari (16As)
2. Crotti (16As)
3. Horton (1sts)
4. Gitteos (1sts)
5. O'Connell (2nds)
6. Leaver (1sts)
7. Simpson (1sts)
8. Anderson (1sts)
9. Wennerbom (16As)
10. Thomas (2nds)
11. Grant (2nds)
12. King (1sts)
13. Clements (1sts)
15. Wright (1sts)

Thomas 9
Wright 10

Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

SlamDunk69

Scots 1st XV

1: Angus Currans
2:
3:Max Girdler
4: Ryan Macauley
5: Henry Camp
6:Charlie Smith
7: Harry Todd
8: Forrest Karoka
9: Theo Strang
10: Olly Poiner
11: Jake Prindeville
12: Dan England
13: James Hawkins
14: Strath Yeo
15: Winston Yurrupingu

Up and Over

Frank Nicholson (4)
Joeys look favourites for next year due to the depth .... but there will always be a surprise.
Wooden spoon favourites are Shore - they have a couple of good players in the 1st and 2nd for next year but no depth and no natural leader... Woodhill has probably been the most inspirational leader in the gps despite not winning many.
So far the Shore 1st coach has 1 win out of 20 matches which is not good coaching !

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>
So far the Shore 1st coach has 1 win out of 20 matches which is not good coaching !

Correlation may not equal causation.

The win/loss record of a team does not of itself confirm that someone is a good or bad coach.

My Mother-In-Law could retain the Bledisloe Cup if she was given the New Zealand Rugby Team to coach.

In the school environment, success should be measured more in improvement achieved than results achieved. If a coach can turn a bunch of uncoordinated underachievers into a competitive team that can execute basic skills and demonstrate consistently good teamwork then they have been successful, even if a team of rockstars from another school puts 50 points on them.

Contrary to popular belief, Schoolboy sport is an integral component of the education process and is considered to be part of the curriculum by the Board of Studies.

It isn't all about winning.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Joeys look favourites for next year due to the depth .. but there will always be a surprise.

You could say this every year (and people do), but the fact is they haven't won in 7 or 8 years now.

Thery're still the gold standard in terms of an overall rugby programme though.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Joeys look favourites for next year due to the depth .. but there will always be a surprise.
Wooden spoon favourites are Shore - they have a couple of good players in the 1st and 2nd for next year but no depth and no natural leader. Woodhill has probably been the most inspirational leader in the gps despite not winning many.
Shore will be stronger next year than this. Then have been very unluckly this year. They should have beaten Scots Joeys and Riverview this year and will beat view on Saturday. They could have easily been much higher on the table. Next year Shore will be very competitive.

Up and Over

Frank Nicholson (4)
Shore will be stronger next year than this. Then have been very unluckly this year. They should have beaten Scots Joeys and Riverview this year and will beat view on Saturday. They could have easily been much higher on the table. Next year Shore will be very competitive.
Shore was expected to be more competitive this year - which they have but not getting the wins ! The fact is they lost against view, scots, joeys so you cannot say they "should have beaten" them !!

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Sorry not trying to start a fight but the Scots v Shore game on the weekend proved that the Shore tactics were spot on.
If Wobs had gone down by 2 points to the ABs on the weekend would you suggest that McKenzie couldn't coach.
Who is Shore coach now?...Wall has moved on I presumed although I did see him hanging around in the background out at Shore.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Who is Shore coach now?.Wall has moved on I presumed although I did see him hanging around in the background out at Shore.
On subject of coaches I saw ticehurst out at the joeys view match, and after the match he had this look on his face ... Would have paid that penny for his thoughts!

The new joeys coaching regime might need a bit more success in 2015, than this year , otherwise there will be a lynching at hunters hill

jhro7

Bob McCowan (2)
Scots 1st XV

1: Angus Currans
2:
3:Max Girdler
4: Ryan Macauley
5: Henry Camp
6:Charlie Smith
7: Harry Todd
8: Forrest Karoka
9: Theo Strang
10: Olly Poiner
11: Jake Prindeville
12: Dan England
13: James Hawkins
14: Strath Yeo
15: Winston Yurrupingu

I can guarantee this won't be 1st xv next year
poiner: too small, soft in contact and often makes the wrong decision
yurrupingu: wouldn't fit the scots structure

England will stay at 10, simpson to 12 and mclachlan to 15 (both are year 11 in 2s)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jhro and others,

Please remember the forum rules when it comes to posting criticisms of school players. It's OK to point out faults, but please do it in a constructive manner. These blokes are still in school, not hardened pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.