• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Karmichael Hunt played fullback at schoolboy level. He played fullback for the Broncos and Maroons. He would be dangerous in broken play with that trademark step and powerful carry. He was great in the air even before he went to the AFL and one would assume he knows how to kick a footy after just spending the last four years of his life doing so on a daily basis. I say we play him at fullback.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hunt is a great signing for the Reds. He'll make it and he'll add plenty to the Rdds in attack and defence. How far he goes we'll have to wait and see; he's been out of the rugby codes for longer than Folau, but is still a top class elite level player. He could play centres or fullback - not sure about 5/8, but it's not out of the question - and we won't really know until we see him in games.

JOC (James O'Connor) is much more of a risk IMO.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
15 Hunt
14 JOC (James O'Connor)
13 Kerevi
12 Tapuai
11 CFS
10 Quade
9 Genia

8 Tui
7 Gill
6 TBA
5 Horwill
4 Simmons
3 TBA
2 Hanson
1 Slipper

16 Fainga'a
17 Holmes
18 TBA
19 McDuling
20 Schatz
21 Frisby
22 Fainga'a
23 Turner

Wilson

David Codey (61)
15 Hunt
14 JOC (James O'Connor)
13 Kerevi
12 Tapuai
11 CFS
10 Quade
9 Genia

8 Tui
7 Gill
6 TBA
5 Horwill
4 Simmons
3 TBA
2 Hanson
1 Slipper

16 Fainga'a
17 Holmes
18 TBA
19 McDuling
20 Schatz
21 Frisby
22 Fainga'a
23 Turner

It'll be very interesting to see how this backrow will shape up, particularly if they intend Vito to fill the final slot, even if they don't get him the money they must have set aside should be enough to net a pretty decent alternative. Should really throw the gauntlet down to Schatz/Browning/Quirk to try and hold their spots, with Tui, Fakaosilea and TBA all breathing down their necks and Gill/Beau immovable from the other side of the scrum. Exciting times!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd happily bet my house that isn't true.
a) He's equal highest paid player in NZ
b) He's contracted to 2017
c) He's AB VC and there is a World Cup to defend next year

Poppycock

He hasn't signed. I just said they went hard for him.

redstragic, agree about Holmes. But if we want to get a premiership we need a more dominant 3. Holmes stood out as much because so many didn't. He makes a great bench man, but I'd love someone to come in who could command the 3 spot. Happy for Holmes to play there if we don't sign anyone.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Regardless of the remaining spots and validity of excuses to date... RG has no excuse next year. With that backline the fwds should just need to hold their own.

I was a bit ho hum about the two signings and the priority of those positions but from a $$ point of view.... If those 2 put 30k extra bums on seats in the season thats them paid for.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any ideas on who could or should be this dominant 3?

I'd be happy with maafu be it seems his contract is tied up.

I'm thinking possibly there might be 2 props signed? One young and one more experienced. The youngsters you'd suggest will be either PAraka or Kite. Talakai might end up being the other prop unless there is another 'Tui' like signing from somewhere.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
What clubs do you reckon those recruited players will go to?

Surely one to Brothers??

I think Hunt played at Easts or Souths when schooling at Churchie.

JOC (James O'Connor) is a Brothers Junior, so hopefully he'll come back to Crosby.

EDIT: Sorry, wrong forum.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
After watching some YouTube highlights tui looks like he could e the hard an aggressive ball runner we need. I actually think our front row is pretty good and will hold it's own At the very least. It's a question of whether Australian rugby can start producing some looseys that want to take other people to the grave rather than tiptoe around them.

I hope tui makes a difference for us in that respect.

Backline looks fing awesome but who knows with RG....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well, assuming @Rugby Reg is right and the Reds had the balls to target Keiran Read, then targeting (and landing) Victor Vito would not be beyond the realm of possibility. Remember 2007 NZ Player of the Year, Daniel Braid.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Benny Lucas likely to go to Japan. I remember him as a wonderful 7s player. I wonder if there is a way he could pull off a 7s contract and Japanese contract?

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah I suppose good for him. He's been a good servant. But I have a very uneasy feeling that we are going to be kicking ourselves for not keeping him around sometime in May next year.

Dancin_Digby

Bob McCowan (2)
Hey guys new to the forum, pretty stoked about the squad announcement, feel like as much as vito would be an awesome pickup, we already have plenty of backrowers in quirk, schatz, gill, robinson, tui, fakaoisalea and browning. Think he would be a waste of a spot when we're short in the props, locks, halves and outside backs. I think they should be looking at 17 y.o gps and qld country centre campbell magnay, rumours around that nrl clubs are after him, and u'd assume talaki and paraka would be getting spots after parakas bench involvement last year and talaki being recruited from sydney uni. Scott gale might get the gig of 3rd halfback you would think but imo he is pretty rubbish, so maybe the nrc will solve that problem for us!

Status
Not open for further replies.