• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
So just to get things sorted in my own head
We have announced 28 (29?) spots out of 32. So there is 4 more player signings to come (or 3 players signings and a coach or sponsor?)

Scenario A - 4 players
1-2 props, a lock, back rower (could be same guy) and outside back?
e.g Talakai, Smith/Murday (or similar), Vito, some outside back with ridiculous pace/skills (NRC prospect or Digby?)
Scenario B - 3 players
1 Prop (we'd have to stack the EPS with Kite, Paraka etc.), 1 lock/backrower, 1 outside back

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think we need at least 1 probably 2 props and an extra lock. Looks like we have enough quality from 9 to 15 and decent outside back aren't that hard to come by in OZ, compared to quality tight five players

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Looking at the squad it looks like we'll have a quality 23 when everyone is fit but im not sure we have enough depth in the tight five to deal with injuries throughout the season.

Say what you want about the Hunt signing but I reckon its a major coup for the ARU with the coverage/interest he will garner. Expect 35k+ for the first home game next year

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
He hasn't signed. I just said they went hard for him.

redstragic, agree about Holmes. But if we want to get a premiership we need a more dominant 3. Holmes stood out as much because so many didn't. He makes a great bench man, but I'd love someone to come in who could command the 3 spot. Happy for Holmes to play there if we don't sign anyone.

As our premiere 3 all year, we have had our strongest scrum in some years. We need his understudy, not his replacement.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
With one Wallaby to be potentially signed I figured I'd go through the list of capped wallabies and try to work out who is still playing and might be out of contract, because why not? I've included a few contracted to the middle of 2015 with a Northern hemisphere side, assuming it might be a bit easier for them to break a contract if they want to take a tilt at making the wallabies for the world cup. I've broken it down into the positions it looks like the reds need (Prop/Outside or Utility back/Lock or Backrow). If Vito is to be signed it likely rules out all the lock/backrow candidates. I've also included what were my gut reactions on looking at each player, there isn't much basis for them beyond that.

I got the list from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australia_national_rugby_union_players

Props:

Paddy Ryan - Can't find if he is signed to the Tahs next year. Would be a good move for him, get out from under Kepu and Stiles has shoen himself to be an excellent scrum coach this year, could fix his scrum issues. A gamble from the reds perspective.
Pek Cowan - Can't find if he is signed to the Force next year. Unlikely given he would be behind Slipper and has one a Wallabies spot at the Force.
Salesi Maafu - Suggests he is commited to staying at Northampton http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/s...-afu-wants-more-success-with-saints-1-6258973

Backs

Nick Cummins - If he is keen to return to aus playing at the reds would see him closer to family
Cooper Vuna - Rumoured earlier in the year and probably one of the more likely possibilities given cost and position http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...inals-series-bid/story-fnii0lp2-1226882835026
Berrick Barnes - Wouldn't be the worst option as cover for Flyhalf, Inside Centre and Fullback but unlikely I think
Sam Norton-Knight - Unlikely but possible
Lloyd Johansson - I really doubt it
Mark Gerrard - Apparently Waratahs are sounding him out, more likely to go there then the reds (Palu's cousing, Dennis' Brother in Law) http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...disloe-a-success/story-fni2fylx-1227017054519
Drew Mitchell - 2 year deal (12-13 and 13-14)
Mat Giteau - Signed until 2015 http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...503692491?nk=3102107f613162c15f763013206e95bb
Digby Ioane - Might be too expensive, particularly if Vito is to be signed
Lote Tuqiri - Don't think he is signed for souths but I highly doubt the Reds would want him
Richard Kingi - His wikipedia page lists one cap in 09 though he is not on the main list

Backrow/Locks:

Sitaleki Timani - Doubtful but I cant find contract details, probably too expensive
Peter Kimlin - May still want to return knowing Link liked him for the wallabies, can't find contract specifics
Richard Brown - Kicking around Japan, unlikely I think
Stephen Hoiles - was only short term injury cover at the Tahs
Rocky Elsom - Not sure of his status, unlikely but not impossible
Daniel Heenan - I think he is still playing in Japan, seems highly unlikely but apparently he almost came back before the last world cup http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...eturn-from-japan/story-e6frf55l-1225919128635
David Lyons - Getting pretty old but still kicking around at Stade Francais

I ignored a few players as I was going through, mostly hookers and probably missed some as well. Looking at the list and given the roster named and the apparent chasing of Vito I'd think Cooper Vuna is the most likely, but no one really stands out to me.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As our premiere 3 all year, we have had our strongest scrum in some years. We need his understudy, not his replacement.

not as convinced to be honest. He's a valuable servant and an important part of the squad, but I'd be still keen to find someone better. Not suggesting Talakai is better by any means, but he may end the season as such.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
I think JOC (James O'Connor) will be the back up 10.

He was, esp at the Force a first rate 10 and out pointed Cooper at Suncorp one game.

He was a disaster against the Lions as he wasn't used as as 10 for several seasons

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Is the reason that the Reds able to sign Hunt, JOC (James O'Connor), Cooper and Genia mainly dependant on the 3rd party support?

Compared to the Force who don't really have one top profile player, is it due to the fact the Reds have more corporate support and dollars to throw at players?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think JOC (James O'Connor) will be the back up 10.

He was, esp at the Force a first rate 10 and out pointed Cooper at Suncorp one game.

He was a disaster against the Lions as he wasn't used as as 10 for several seasons
I tend to agree so many people bagging JOC (James O'Connor) but his a good 10 12 winger or 15.

He came on at 10 for Gits recently and I'd trust him at 10 more then say K hunt or a 20 year old non union player.

His a great player just a bit of a twat. But hopefully his grown up overseas.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Is the reason that the Reds able to sign Hunt, JOC (James O'Connor), Cooper and Genia mainly dependant on the 3rd party support?

Compared to the Force who don't really have one top profile player, is it due to the fact the Reds have more corporate support and dollars to throw at players?
The force for whatever reasons have to pay more for worse players same can be said for the Rebels Atm.

It's just how it is people like to play were there from. Wait till WA players come through as we are seeing they will cost less for Perth..

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I understand that the Force have to pay overs to attract players who have to move from their base/ family but they literally do not have one top profile player.
The difference between the amounts spent on salary between Reds/ Waratahs and the Force would be humunguous.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't think the main Reds squad needs another lock, they already have four. Any more would go to the EPS / WTS (or whatever they are calling it).

They are definitely short on props: only three named. You would normally expect 5. The Reds, though, could get away with just 4 and a few of the emerging guys - Paraka, Kite, Faeo for example - in the EPS / WTS.

So, at least one THP prop to be named, maybe Talaki. Maybe a second, too. I reckon two props will be named. The other probably a LHP, like Paraka.

At the moment, none of those THP props are better than Holmes.

Victor Vito seems a given, so that's one as well. BTW, Vito was once the world's best sevens player before switching to XVs full time, for those that have forgotten. He's a better 6/8 than any of the current players on the Reds' books, without a doubt.

Not sure what the last one is. They lack depth at 10 with the loss of Lucas (who I guess they could no longer afford his asking price). But, JOC (James O'Connor) will be a reserve 10 I think. I think the last will be an outside back, maybe the second Wallaby hinted at. At wing, with JOC (James O'Connor), CFS and Turner, we look good, but after that Kuridrani and JJ are a bit of a worry.

BTW, I hope Gale is not our third string scrummy, he was really poor for Country today. There has to be someone better than him in club rugby in Brisbane.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I understand that the Force have to pay overs to attract players who have to move from their base/ family but they literally do not have one top profile player.
The difference between the amounts spent on salary between Reds/ Waratahs and the Force would be humunguous.

The Force have had a few high profile players in the past. Their current recruitment strategy, though, isn't focused on high profile players.

Reactions: BDA
T

Train Without a Station

The Force have had a few high profile players in the past. Their current recruitment strategy, though, isn't focused on high profile players.

Neither was outs at our peak

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
JOC (James O'Connor)'s versatility should be invaluable to the Reds.

He's decent 10/12. I doubt you'd ever win a world cup with JOC (James O'Connor) playing those positions, but at Super level he's quality. As an outside back he's world class. I'd probably play him at fullback first. if Hunt really performs he could become the preferred option at 15 with JOC (James O'Connor) moving to wing.

Quade Cooper must be lick his lips. He thrives on feeding long balls to outside backs. having a guy with JOC (James O'Connor)'s skills out wide makes his job much easier.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

He's decent 10/12. I doubt you'd ever win a world cup with JOC (James O'Connor) playing those positions, but at Super level he's quality. As an outside back he's world class. I'd probably play him at fullback first. if Hunt really performs he could become the preferred option at 15 with JOC (James O'Connor) moving to wing.

Quade Cooper must be lick his lips. He thrives on feeding long balls to outside backs. having a guy with JOC (James O'Connor)'s skills out wide makes his job much easier.

Not to mention Kerevi, he got his first game immediately after Quade was injured and was exactly what Quade needed outside of him.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

The one I look forward to seeing Quade play with is Kerevi.

Status
Not open for further replies.