• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New ARU Contracting post 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah Toulon aren't successful at all.. and if you actually listened to Giteau he was going overseas before 2011 Tests

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Yeah Toulon aren't successful at all.. and if you actually listened to Giteau he was going overseas before 2011 Tests

When the Wallabies need to beat Clermont to win the Bledisloe/RC/RWC, I'll start taking a whole lot of notice of Toulon's performances or Giteau's performances there.

I meant at test level, to clarify. Using the provincial standard, we now have plenty of trooops that have provincial championship experience. Doesn't help a whole lot against the All Blacks, though.

He was dropped regardless.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I would have thought restraint of trade could possibly cover it

A player going to Japan or France over summer can't perform his domestic obligations, because they are expected to be available for NRC/November tours/Super training/Super trials and Super. If they haven't negotiated a release from those obligations (at the point of contract or subsequently) then they are in breach of contract if they don't meet those obligations. The court wouldn't stop you from going (See Sonny Bill) but it would be the end of your employment with the ARU/Super Rugby franchise.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Good move by ARU

Absolutely the right move, we can't compete with France and Japan money otherwise. Even more impressive is they're allowing club players to do it also which is great for those fringe wallaby level players.

It's a big turn around from having 'no appetite' for sabbaticals only a few months ago though.

I think this and the NRC are some great moves made this year, really shaking things up. They won't have immediate impact to the national team but there is potential for the future.

Yeah, I agree

T

TOCC

You are rewriting history.
Giteau went to France on a shitload of money.
No one suggested he was worth that to the ARU,and should be retained at the time.

The wage on offer from France was irrelevant, I'm talking about his experience and maturity and that he was still of enormous value to Australian Rugby when he left Australia.

The ARU were right not to offer him a another contract since Robbie had gone off him and he wasn't going to be selected, but that doesn't mean he wasn't worthy of been offered another contract.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The wage on offer from France was irrelevant, I'm talking about his experience and maturity and that he was still of enormous value to Australian Rugby when he left Australia.

The ARU were right not to offer him a another contract since Robbie had gone off him and he wasn't going to be selected, but that doesn't mean he wasn't worthy of been offered another contract.
You are still rewriting history.
Giteau was still well entrenched with the Wallaby squad,when he chased the money in France.So money is totally relevant,as that was his driver in making the move.Not discontent with his status with the Wallabies.
To save you looking it up he signed in February, before a very disappointing Brumbies season,and after he had been on the preceding Spring tour.
He started in the Test against Samoa in July.
Let's remember he was 28 when he left.
You can't blame Robbie for everything.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)

His "maturity" was such that he has subsequently acknowledged that he threw his toys from the cot when dropped. He'd become a locker room cancer, which was widely commented on at the time.

"It wasn't under the best terms, publicly," Giteau says. "I had some blame in that. The way I portrayed myself was probably a bit childish and lacked a bit of maturity.
"I hadn't been in that situation throughout my whole career. Then, when I was out, I reacted quite poorly and am a bit embarrassed about it, now that I have slept on it. I was a bit childish. But it could have been handled a little better [by the ARU]."

His "experience" consists almost exclusively of playing on Wallaby sides that did not win the trophies we want to win. He's not some shrewd operator that can teach the younguns how to win the Bledisloe or not fold under pressure.

They got rid of him (or, he left) not a day too soon. There are plenty of players happy to run across the paddock that are younger and cheaper.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yes. But I suspect mostly about letting Israel know we love him, and we're prepared to let him go. If he comes back, he loves us too.

T

TOCC

You are still rewriting history.
Giteau was still well entrenched with the Wallaby squad,when he chased the money in France.So money is totally relevant,as that was his driver in making the move.Not discontent with his status with the Wallabies.
To save you looking it up he signed in February, before a very disappointing Brumbies season,and after he had been on the preceding Spring tour.
He started in the Test against Samoa in July.
Let's remember he was 28 when he left.
You can't blame Robbie for everything.

I think you have misinterpreted me...
This is exactly my point, if you read my initial comment i was pointing out that Australia has a bad habit of letting players go as they get towards 30. I also said having sabbaticals may allow Australia to retain those players into their 30's by allowing them to chase the big pay checks for a season rather then losing them for good.. Giteau is one example where this may have been implemented allowing Australia to retain a player who still had a lot to offer Australian Rugby, whether people on here believe he deserved another contract or not.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I agree with that,which is a bit different to bloody Robbie was a pig headed prick that caused Gits to move on.
Which was my interpretation of your post.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
What? He carried that Brumbies side in his final season.

Interesting people on here knocking Gits for not winning any trophies. Fuck sake you could say the same about every current player, and some former legends- Sharpie, George Smith etc. 'Yeah they won a Bled in 2002 but what did they win in the last ten years of their career? Fuck all'.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He's probably won just as many trophies as most of our players in recent times...........

2004%20Champs%20module.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.