• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
congratulations to scots 2014 GPS Premiers[/quote]

Firstly, I think it's poor form to congratulate a team, even if they are going to win the comp, before the end
Secondly, Form has finally caught up to Riverview. They have been unimpressive for the last few games. Shore were better drilled right through the grades and deserve all their wins. As for Riverview their rugby programme is a shambles. Last week they had uncontested scrums in 5ths and 6ths and this week even their 2nds went to uncontested scrums.
While their playing stocks are not strong for the next couple of years, a serious look at their rugby programme would not hurt. Some of the ways they grade their players is hard to understand.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
So would I! Still, it would be bit dicey. I watched TAS and Scots in the sevens. Big difference in standards.

Jim, around my era (I was Kings '87 as my moniker suggests) TAS were very strong..I don't think they played in a structured competition though unfortunately and just played against whoever would avail themselves so at least now they are part of the GPS proper..

we played them in a trial game and beat them but they had a team which would have given any of the GPS 1sts a run for their money..their front row was particularly strong, all 3 of them had and still do the build of what you want for a front rower and they all played 1st grade colts in Sydney the next year..one flanker played for the Australian U17s the year before and their outside centre ended up being 13 for NSW Country a couple of years later..that's just to mention a few of the players..and that team was flanked by a couple of future Wallabies in Richard Tombs a couple of years earlier and Sam Payne a couple of years later..

I remember in 1989 when I was at uni up there one weekday afternoon going to watch a game between TAS and Ashgrove..Payne was the TAS halfback and Eales was the Ashgrove lock..standing room only..

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Congrats to scots in 2014, although as some joeys wag said .... Scots only have to have another 2 decades like this to catch up to joeys record

I see joeys 16as got done today... Any result from scots v newington 16as?

Either way I think next year should be a good year ... And I don't think the 1st xv table will look anything like this years

How many draws has that 15as side from joeys had ... Much be some kind of record

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Rubbish, especially the way View were talked up at the beginning of the year. Scots have earnt this and should be congratulated.
Congratulations to Scots from this Newington parent

I went out to Stanmore to watch the 2nds today and stayed around for the 1sts.

In the 2nds Newington ran with the wind in the 1st half and used it effectively to lead 28-12 at half time. The 2nd half turned into a slog-fest in heavy conditions and both sides tiring - New scored a late try to win 33-12.

The 1sts was a funny old match. Scots looked very good from the first whistle and the 12 broke through early and looked likely to score, but somehow New scrambled back in defence and held on. This became the pattern of the half. New scored just before half time and Scots responded almost immediately for 5-5. Scots scored almost straight after half time and looked ominous and then again to go 17-5. A pick and go try saw 17-12. New had a couple of lineout throws close to the Scots line, but couldn't throw it in straight. Scots surged again and scored right on full time to win 22-12.

Scots are a very impressive rugby team right across the park - I thought the 15 was outstanding. Scots were clearly the better team but New were tenacious in defence and at one point could have taken the lead with 10 to go. The field was heavy with 2 cricket pitches to contend with and occasional rain sqaulls thrown in.

Well done to both teams and congratulations to Scots on winning the competition. Very deserved winners.

I also thought the referee did a great job.

If the scoreboard was correct the other matches went:

3rds to Scots 17-12, 4ths to New 13-10, 16As to Scots and 15As to New (can't remember the scores)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Congrats to scots in 2014, although as some joeys wag said .. Scots only have to have another 2 decades like this to catch up to joeys record

I see joeys 16as got done today. Any result from scots v newington 16as?

Either way I think next year should be a good year . And I don't think the 1st xv table will look anything like this years

How many draws has that 15as side from joeys had . Much be some kind of record

Scots won 16As.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I never said that Scots should not be congratulated just when!

But in a first past the post competition, it's not unusual to recognise the winner when they're in an unassailable position. Sometimes in Premier League soccer for example the winner is known, recognised and congratulated 4-6 weeks before the end of the season.

No one can beat them, they're the winners. Why not congratulate them?

Status
Not open for further replies.