• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natal shark

Peter Burge (5)
Good on Churchies at least they won against
13 or 14 players against the top GPS sides
Congrats Churchies anyway interesting year
Next year

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
..and the Churchie 15 will play for Queensland..unfortunately for rugby it will be in Origin...
Ponga's a talent no doubt about it. But for the sake of Queensland rugby and Australia's I hope the powers that be keep some of the boys up front in the game and invest in Australia's future versions of Retalick's, Whitelocks and Franks, so the Ponga's of the world can strut their stuff.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Mate that surprises literally no-one. The previous best you've seen was probably Iona 2013, am I right? :p

That team wasn't even that good :confused: The best AIC team to come out of the last decade was probably one of the ones from the undefeated era of Ashgrove between 02 and 07. But yes, not too hard to take the title thanks to my age, probably over exaggerating, I apologise :p Although there was one good Kiwi side I saw earlier in the year that would be very close. Wouldn't mind seeing Scots and ACGS have a hit out this year, the NSW boys were tearing the competition apart before the rain hit.

Also, I'm afriad no editing of tips is possible, apologies.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Really interesting day of rugby at Boondall today, Results as follows:
13A 17-10 BSH - BSH were never going to lose however they were put under heaps of pressure by a team of much smaller size.
13B 25 -21 BSH - I only included this as there has been a number of 13B state high posters. BSH were a very well drilled side, score possibly flattered Nudgee who were very flat in the first half. Some of these State High boys will play A football when their size kicks in, esp some of the backs;
14A 59-7 Nudgee - master class by this impressive side, i think the game was pulled up 5 mins early, no more needs to be said;
15A 7-5 BSH - really close game with BSH grinding the game out. Interestingly the coach of BSH is a father of one of the Nudgee 15Aboys and AC is a former Nudgee 13A coach, good to see the love shared around;
16A - not really sure of this score however I am fairly certain Nudgee won this easily (happy to be contradicted on this);
Firsts 41-7 Nudgee - first half was a dog fight however the class and size of Nudgee won out in the end. Pilz, Hewitt and Hussey were particularly impressive.

So 24 points(BBC) is the closest any has got to NC 14A s?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
That team wasn't even that good :confused: The best AIC team to come out of the last decade was probably one of the ones from the undefeated era of Ashgrove between 02 and 07. But yes, not too hard to take the title thanks to my age, probably over exaggerating, I apologise :p Although there was one good Kiwi side I saw earlier in the year that would be very close. Wouldn't mind seeing Scots and ACGS have a hit out this year, the NSW boys were tearing the competition apart before the rain hit.

Also, I'm afriad no editing of tips is possible, apologies.

More a crack at your AIC background than than your age!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
What most observers neglect in deploying the 'cheque book Churchie' moniker is:

(a) every GPS school effectively does the same thing, and given that the question is: how well have they imported and blended the new-ish comers with the longer stayers, how well have they chosen the scholarship recipients? For 2014, in the case of Churchie, the answer is: friggin' well...and moreover

(b) Jason Gilmore as Coach of the Churchie 1st XV. This guy is unquestionably one the finest elite schoolboy coaches in Australia. He coaches a great combo of a humble, hard-working culture, excellent team preparation, a focus on basic skills down well, and a complete game where every part of the team is trained how to contribute correctly and play their role.

With the usual Australian obsession with individual players at the expense of understanding the real power of fine team coaching, (b) above is routinely neglected but it's been a huge factor in Churchie's performance this year.

I noticed last week at the BBC/Churchie game that Gilmore brought on a number of reserves for the last quarter of the game.
Why Barker doesn't do that with BBC has me buggered?
Surely it's time to get some players of the U16 on to get experience for 2015.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Amazing game from ACGS today, at HT I thought it would blow out immensely. A very early try from TSS saw a fantastic start and I started feeling worried (I tipped ACGS) but a return try straight after saw it negated. Truly, this ACGS side is the best I've ever seen at schoolboy level. Sublime handling, crushing defence, shattering running; they have the whole package. It was very enjoyable watching them put on a near flawless performance after so many errors plagued their round 1 game. Expect a full write-up soon.

Then you probably didn't see the 2003 side that I watched obliterate NC at Nudgee.
It was a case of men playing boys with Churchie stars including Quade Cooper, Karmichael Hunt, David Pocock, & co. I needn't say who won the premiership that year.

Ben Smith

Frank Nicholson (4)
ACGS v TSS 1st XV

TSS came with a strategy in this one and a smart one at that, retain possession at all times. They were reluctant to kick to #15 Ponga and were keen to use their own weapons in #13 Fittock & #15 Dorrough.

TSS attacked wide early and often, TSS #10 provided great service all day to his outside men and in the end bagged a hattrick.

#13 Fittock showcased speed, footwork and always looked threatening and his matchup with Perese was enjoyable to watch. Its hard to say who came out on top, as TSS had most of the possession, with limited touches Perese had a line break (bursting through TSS 11 & and his opposite Fittock) that set up a try & scored one himself waltzing through paperthin defence. Perese got through a ton of defensive work as TSS attacked the edges. Fittock made a few breaks, showed classy touches and fast hands.

Churchie had this one by halftime really, #14 Croft scored 3 by oranges, Churchie played for territory and let TSS play the running game, but when TSS made mistakes Churchie made them pay, striking quickly after gaining possession each time.

In the 2nd half TSS showed more fluency and control. The backline set plays were creating opportunities and phases didnt break down as much. Churchies defense was hard to crack though, they werent giving away anything. Churchies forwards took over when they won possesion and burnt clock keeping it tight..(partly to rest I reckon from frantic TSS ball shifts). Churchie scored 2 and TSS scored 2 in the 2nd half but the blitz from the first half being the difference.

Ponga was quiet, but still managed to put a brilliant try saving tackle on TSS 11, showing him the corner and then knocking him into touch over the corner post.

TSS came with a good strategy, but Churchie defensively was up to it for the most part, and it was TSS defensive lapses that cost them of any chance in this one.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
This Churchie team will be talked about for many years to come.
Mark my word as well there will be at least 4 of these players play Super 15/NRL
Agree they are a superb team will be interesting to see what recruits happen for next season as I don't believe either their 13a or 14a teams have registered a win between them which is extraordinary

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
A absolutely tremendous match of schoolboy rugby at Miskin yesterday. Ten tries, a decent crowd on Old Boys day and a game allowed to flow with a referee encouraging running rugby with the whistle in his pocket.
BBC started strongly and ran with purpose. Both teams went wide early and seemed to exploit each other's mid field defence with ease from time to time. A couple of tries from BBC simply removed GTs sting. They looked dumbfounded but only down three tries to one at the break.
The second half was almost a mirror image of the first. BBC scored quickly but then appeared comfortable. GT applied the blowtorch and had them on the back foot. GT 10 & 15 really stepped it up causing much havoc with the 13 being a handful with too many BBC players going high on him. BBCs 13 & 11 were dangerous all day as were the 8 & 9.
For GT to come within four points with two minutes to play was an enormous effort. It can be easy to criticise BBC for taking the foot off the pedal but GT were just hot and hard to stop. Credit must go to BBC for hanging on the way they did with wave after wave of attack being thrust upon them late. But equal amounts of praise to GT also. The game was all about two teams just wanting to have a crack and rip into each other.
It all came down to the GT 11 tip toeing down the sideline. He desperately reached out and dropped the ball in an attempt to seal the game with a try in the corner. A few metres to my left was Headmaster MacDonald waving his hands ferociously as the ref consulted the TJ. You couldn't have scripted a better finish. GT denied and full time called. Ten tries and a 38 to 34 score line. It doesn't get much better!

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hi all! First post. Thanks for some great info about GPS rugby this year.

I am still disappointed that a decision was made last year to not upload video of games from 1st XV matches by the schools on the basis that schools without video of their forthcoming opponents would be at a disadvantage. (for instance, the uploading of the BGS NC decider from 2012 enabled me to watch one of the most entertaining matches I've seen,)

Anyway, I decided to register so I could ask for any info about Jason Gilmore, coach of ACGS. The 'nextgenrugby.com' site did not include a face pic of him and I was wondering if it was an ex flyhalf I played with.

Thanks

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
Then you probably didn't see the 2003 side that I watched obliterate NC at Nudgee.
It was a case of men playing boys with Churchie stars including Quade Cooper, Karmichael Hunt, David Pocock, & co. I needn't say who won the premiership that year.

I went to watch K Hunt play and a few years later went to watch Quade play at Oaklands.

Maybe your memory is playing tricks?

Would have been great to have had all three, as opposed to just Cooper and Pocock, play in the same team.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I went to watch K Hunt play and a few years later went to watch Quade play at Oaklands.

Maybe your memory is playing tricks?

Would have been great to have had all three, as opposed to just Cooper and Pocock, play in the same team.

2003 K Hunt in Churchie 1st XV (interestingly Tony McGahan, now coach of the Rebels, was Churchie 1sts Coach that year). Churchie and TSS tied for the Premiership.

2005 QC (Quade Cooper) and Pocock in Churchie 1sts, with the latter Co-Captain. Churchie and BSHS tied for the Premiership.

2006 QC (Quade Cooper) in 1sts again. TSS won the Premiership

If Churchie win the Premiership this year, a good possibility, it will be the first year they have won outright since 1999. Re an undefeated Premiership, not sure if 1999 was that or not? Anyone recall?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I noticed last week at the BBC/Churchie game that Gilmore brought on a number of reserves for the last quarter of the game.
Why Barker doesn't do that with BBC has me buggered?
Surely it's time to get some players of the U16 on to get experience for 2015.

You might recall that Gilmore did just this as well with (amongst others) Sam Wallis in one of Churchie's earlier dominant wins. When one of our forwards was later injured and out for the season Sam has now been promoted from the Churchie 16As as run-on #6 for the 1sts and has done a fine job since (especially yesterday vs TSS). Sam's been at Churchie many years.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
2003 K Hunt in Churchie 1st XV (interestingly Tony McGahan, now coach of the Rebels, was Churchie 1sts Coach that year). Churchie and TSS tied for the Premiership.

2005 QC (Quade Cooper) and Pocock in Churchie 1sts, with the latter Co-Captain. Churchie and BSHS tied for the Premiership.

2006 QC (Quade Cooper) in 1sts again. TSS won the Premiership

If Churchie win the Premiership this year, a good possibility, it will be the first year they have won outright since 1999. Re an undefeated Premiership, not sure if 1999 was that or not? Anyone recall?

1999 or 1998? God, so long ago haha I feel v v old.

Oh. I remember the big win at Jack Ross Oval too. Churchie scored about 40 odd that day. Nudgee had a very big centre (Islander background), looked amazing but was a little shy in contact, kicked a lot (left footed I thought). I'm wondering whether it was the Crusader/Fijian/Brisbane Nadolo???!!

As to which year that was, I'm buggered. 2005 I would have thought as I saw Hunt play BSHS at East Brisbane in 2003.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
ACGS'S win over TSS pretty much seals the premiership for them, I'm sorry but can't see them stumbling against any more teams IMO. They are a very well drilled and have the determination and discipline that have perhaps been lacking in previous years i.e. Churchie's 100th birthday.

It was only 2011 that they were in the exact same position after defeating NC. They then gave the title away against a pretty average IGS side after the winter break. They deserve to be the favourites but any complacency tends to get punished in this competition.

In terms of where they rate in comparison to previous 1st XV sides. They don't come near BSHS 2009.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Nest week GT V NC will be their biggest challenge, will be a great game to watch i think, bt NC will be too good in the end.

I hope your right but I doubt it . I said at start of year that no team would get within 30 of NC 14A . BBC got with 19 but no other school has got within 40 points!!
If GT get within 15 points I will take you and The King out for dinner.
NC were undefeated last year as 13A by a country mile and this year brought in 3 of the best 14 years olds in the country: Tau Tau was wanted by every NRL club but has a scholarship with broncos: ditto Jo Small and the 3rd is the qld rugby league / national T&f star from Bundaberg

Status
Not open for further replies.