• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Interesting tj and others here comment on the league tackle with its writhing/turtling/holding down. There's a certain simplicity/sophistication in the techniques used to slow down opposition ball at the tackle in league, especially lying all over the tackled player and the slow extraction of the many tacklers, one by one while the last one uses the tacklee's body to leverage himself back into the marker position. Have a look at the Pommy Super League over on FoxSports: they ALL bounce off/away from the tackled player far more quickly than Australian tacklers do. Just goes to show it can be done.

My lovely spare-rib comes from a staunch league family, her mother's a rusted-on Rabbitohs supporter. So I get to watch quite a bit of it when duty beckons. What stands out for me is the utter monotonousness of league: one out hitups followed by a pass or two and then a kick. Even tackles can be accurately predicted: one or two go high while another grabs the ball-carriers' waist/thigh and they turn him and wrestle the poor bastard to the ground just as the ref calls "held" and then "move". Utterly, utterly monotonous. When was the last time a league team successfully defended their goal-line for a coupla phases of six? It seems as if the powers-that-be insist on tries at the expense of good defence.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It has become so predictable that when I watched my first game live for several years at least year's grand final I was astounded that the whole of both teams seemed to be within 12 - 20 metres of each other as they brought the ball out from their own line.
Even I could see that no one more than 3 men either side of the ruck was going to receive the ball in any one play or wold need to make a tackle.
I dont understand how this is attractive to watch - i think you have to be embedded in the mythology of the alleged tribalism to be able to overlook this monotony and predictably to a point at which the result of any given game is the only thing which is unknown. And you sweat on that.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
to be fair if you go to sideways without any forward momentum your a big risk of going into touch and turning over possession.

As a union fan you would know how important it is to hold on to possession in favour of maybe getting some sneaky metres.

That said I tend to agree, that if a defensive line only pushes up partially inviting you into the space on the outside the play maker should have get the ball so its moving to the last defender moving up with someone running an in line into the game made by only 5 or 6 blokes moving up in defence and not the whole line... rarely do sides get them selves organised to take advantage of such things though.

All sports have the same sort of plays run through them from the NFL to rugby to basketball to soccer. Even AFL has a pattern that they try to stick to if you watch it enough.

Understanding the pattern however doesn't make the game boring its how intense the contest mixed with the players ability to both take and pull off risks in attack and ability to shut down stuff in defence.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
It is also worth noting that the ITM Cup is usually very entertaining rugby, by any standards.

Every ITM Cup season, I wonder how many of those teams could hang in Super Rugby, or how they'd do against some European teams. Canterbury looks like they could easily land in mid-table in the Super Rugby, maybe top 6 in the Premiership and top 4 of the Pro 12.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Have a look at the Pommy Super League over on FoxSports: they ALL bounce off/away from the tackled player far more quickly that the Australian tacklers do. Just goes to show it can be done.

I've watched some Super League, and it does seem snappier than a lot of NRL I've seen. The problem, though, is that there's too much disparity between many of the teams. It can lead to some blow-out games that aren't dull because they're repetitive hit-ups, but are repetitive scores by one team.

I think I'm just unlucky, though. I don't tune in to Super League very often, and just seem to catch those blow-out matches when I give it a chance.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Every ITM Cup season, I wonder how many of those teams could hang in Super Rugby, or how they'd do against some European teams. Canterbury looks like they could easily land in mid-table in the Super Rugby, maybe top 6 in the Premiership and top 4 of the Pro 12.

The battle for the Ranfurly Shield adds a lot of interest, as well.

It's just a great competition.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Lol terry didn't know you were taking this so seriously.

It should be noted that I agree that shute shield and ITM cup play a lot more footy then test matches. Even the super 15 between certain sides can play a bit of footy.

Test matches can all be a bit meh in rugby union unless it is the ABs owning someone.

In terms of your statistical analysis, there is an argument with your statiscal analysis showing that an itm cup game has longer plays then a league game.

If that is what you enjoy, which most people here do, hence why they are on this forum, then you are watching the right thing.

However, in a similar level of difference of skill the Armidale A grade basketball comp (ITM Cup) v an NBA game (the nrl) the local comp had no shot clock and long long long plays they weren't particularly entertaining and some teams were just to shit to do anything so they passed it around the top of the key before trying to get it done.

The NBA on the other hand did things hard fast and efficiently.

But again if you like your long "slow" plays. Enjoy.

the "slow" was for trolling affect.
You don't actually watch the ITM Cup do you or Super Rugby for that matter? The ITM Cup is far from slow and some of the skills on display are phenomenal. Well above what's displayed in the NRL most weeks. Fact.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
I watched a fair bit of super rugby this year.

And whilst I don't watch a huge amount of itm cup, I have watched enough to appreciate its level.

What you describe as fact is of course your opinion. An opinion that most "more professional" clubs (of both codes) disagree with, otherwise the players would have contracts with those "more professional" clubs.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I watched a fair bit of super rugby this year.

And whilst I don't watch a huge amount of itm cup, I have watched enough to appreciate its level.

What you describe as fact is of course your opinion. An opinion that most "more professional" clubs (of both codes) disagree with, otherwise the players would have contracts with those "more professional" clubs.

Lots of "more professional" clubs agree. Every year a number of the guys playing in the ITM Cup get picked up by clubs overseas. Japan, England, France, the Celtic nations. All have two tiers of leagues where guys can go and play in. You can still make good money in Italy and now both Russia and Romania are becoming options. He'll if you are interested you can have yourself a nice working holiday in Spain these days. All these guys are identified via the ITM Cup.

Unlike League, Rugby doesn't begin and end with the NRL.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
This is getting bloody boring. You aren't going to agree or convert anyone.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

I'd be genuinely shocked if we came to some level of agreement. Genuinely shocked. Nor do I expect to convert anyone. My issue is the perpetuation of fallacies in regard to Rugby being a slower and/or less skilful game. It's not. I grew watching and playing both. With guys who are professionals in both games.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
this is going around in circles.

I am sure people have gotten contracts out of the shute shield, QLD Cup NSW Cup before as well.

That doesn't change the standard of the comp, the comp remains at its particular standard playing with the players who are not yet good enough to obtain that said contract.

As for the perpetuation of fallacies - you need only look at your post claiming that some of the skills on display in the ITM cup were above the NRL (I am assuming you aren't just referring to the union skills that are not in league like scrummaging.)

If your mindset is in a place were you honestly believe the stuff you wrote above of course you are going to take unreasonable issues with my very very reasonable posts.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Front page of the Terror today:
Panthers roar into final four ..... nice rhyming headline, problem is there are 8 teams remaining.

Also, being Father's Day I was at my parent's yesterday and watched a replay of the rugby test, as soon as it was finished we turned it over to watch the league as he is a Bulldogs fan. After about two minutes no. 15 for the titans, in the act of tackling one of the bulldog players picks the guys leg up pretty much over his own head (his teammate held the player around the waist) and drops the guy almost on his head (the player was abled to curl to avoid going head / neck first into the turf). Straight away I turned to my Dad and said that bloke should be given a red (sent off as they don't have cards in league) as it was dangerous, especially considering the young bloke ended in a wheelchair earlier on this year. Result Penalty and on report. Gutless act by the officials.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Refs in league are criticised when they do something.

Then they're criticised when they do nothing.

The happy middle ground is to do half-arsed something and leave it alone otherwise.

How much do they get paid?

Status
Not open for further replies.