• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stars vs Rising, 31 August at Leichart

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

You've got the Sydney based team with the smallest geographical region against an out of town team that have only had a professional rugby presence since 2011 so would have minimal interstate located fans, so minimal away support. Not surprising it wasn't a great crowd. Stars games against spirit and rising in Melbourne will struggle to draw crowds in the near future

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
1,000 people at an NRC game would have to be a bit concerning wouldn't it? Especially when one of the teams was a Sydney team.

Was it a location issue (i.e. hard to get to and from the ground) or just a lack of interest?

I think it is concerning. I didn't see the official figures from Pirtek Stadium but the Sunday crowd looked bigger than Thursday. Both games were poorly attended. On a positive note, I would hope that the experience was good enough that you would want to come back.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I would have thought they were hoping for more than a 1000. How long can a team in this comp last with an average crowd of 1000?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So you think they're getting funded by gate takings? This comp is about the players, not the fans.

The only way is up and once it starts getting more exposure (a lot of rugby people still have no idea about it) and AFL/NRL seasons finished crowds should rise.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The crowd support needs to grow organically.

The ARC had much better attendances but they were spending far more dollars to get fans to games than they got in return at the gate.

T

Train Without a Station

It's not going to matter if nobody turns up as long as they can get enough viewers to get every game televised and then further build that viewer base. TV money is the priority for success.

There will never be ample attendance to sustain teams, so TV has to.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gate takings are a bonus for the JVs running these teams. Social media is the key to increasing numbers at this point though.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Also getting every rugby / sports journo on side at the majors to get some stories out there about the games.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Also getting every rugby / sports journo on side at the majors to get some stories out there about the games.

Not sure how its been elsewhere but the courier mail have been running pretty regular stories. They love a winner, so if city can keep it up past the end of the NRL they should get a good focus on them for a finals run.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A piss poor crowd at Leichhardt Oval's not a surprise, bastard of a place to get to with little/no PT and limited adjacent parking. I did suggest somewhere in the dim, dark past the Sydney Uni lot should consider playing their games at Redfern Oval, it's considerably closer to the Corporation's HQ than Lilyfield. The redeveloped oval's perfect for a comp like the NRC with a six-tier stand along one side and the entire playing area relaid and landscaped. But, more importantly, it's a short walk from Redfern Station with plenty of places for a feed or a beer nearby. Question: how far away's the nearest pub from Leichhardt Oval? The Golden Grove, yeah, right. Says it all really.

Consultant's invoice in the mail..... ;)

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
A piss poor crowd at Leichhardt Oval's not a surprise, bastard of a place to get to with little/no PT and limited adjacent parking. I did suggest somewhere in the dim, dark past the Sydney Uni lot should consider playing their games at Redfern Oval, it's considerably closer to the Corporation's HQ than Lilyfield. The redeveloped oval's perfect for a comp like the NRC with a six-tier stand along one side and the entire playing area relaid and landscaped. But, more importantly, it's a short walk from Redfern Station with plenty of places for a feed or a beer nearby. Question: how far away's the nearest pub from Leichhardt Oval? The Golden Grove, yeah, right. Says it all really.

Consultant's invoice in the mail... ;)

Not a flash pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.