• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate Elizabeth

Herbert Moran (7)
Frisby is getting to be quite an improver with Wil Ginea's injury.
What he needed and has now got is game time.

I was never a massive Frisby fan, but this year he has really stepped up - I think that the responsibility of replacing Genia for the rest of the year pushed him on a steep curve, steeper than he was used to and he stepped up. His NRC decision making has proven solid too.

T

Train Without a Station

We still need a minimum of one prop. If we're sensible we need two. If we have to recruit two props why wouldn't we try and get the best we can? Why wouldn't we discuss what would be ideal? Why would we aim for 'serviceable'?
I know what you're saying. I just don't know why you're saying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why wouldn't we try and recruit the best we can? Because there is a limitation on funds and what we have learnt from the Waratahs and the Reds is that spending a lot of cash on props and wingers is not necessary. Better to focus resources on the positions which we know are.

Kate Elizabeth

Herbert Moran (7)
If anything, the Reds had very strong set piece in 2014 but the forward pack was lacklustre in general play.

The Tahs were the complete opposite and it was far more successful.

Whilst having a dominant scrum seems far more likely to result in victory at test level, the same doesn't seem to translate at Super Rugby level. A dominant lineout seems to have even less influence on the outcome of the game.

The Reds need a huge focus on collisions and physicality in 2015.

Agree. We need an 8 with the physicality and drive of a Kefu or a Samo - Schatz isn't at that level and I am not sure he can get there.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I was never a massive Frisby fan, but this year he has really stepped up - I think that the responsibility of replacing Genia for the rest of the year pushed him on a steep curve, steeper than he was used to and he stepped up. His NRC decision making has proven solid too.

This poor bugger just never got the chance to show his wares on a regular basis.- with Will Genia in front of him. I think he brings a lot, including enthiusiasm. Suppose it was like being the reserve halfback, behind Alan Langer at the Broncos

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Agree. We need an 8 with the physicality and drive of a Kefu or a Samo - Schatz isn't at that level and I am not sure he can get there.

On Samo - his workrate was shithouse. When he did run he did it with physicality. Schatz's workrate is very superior to Samo - that's why the players themselves voted him number 2 in Pilecki Medal.

Kate Elizabeth

Herbert Moran (7)
This poor bugger just never got the chance to show his wares on a regular basis.- with Will Genia in front of him. I think he brings a lot, including enthiusiasm. Suppose it was like being the reserve halfback, behind Alan Langer at the Broncos

Good point about the enthusiasm - I would rather have enthusiasm and a knowledge that you have more to learn than someone going through the motions. Not a dig at Genia, but sometimes it just didn't feel like he wanted it as much as we wanted it. By 'it' I mean a try, a win, a championship.

Kate Elizabeth

Herbert Moran (7)
On Samo - his workrate was shithouse. When he did run he did it with physicality. Schatz's workrate is very superior to Samo - that's why the players themselves voted him number 2 in Pilecki Medal.

Absolutely agree with workrate about Samo - no different to Palu in many respects there. And sometimes, whether it is rugby or real life, it doesn't matter what your workrate is if it isn't delivering results/the results that you should be achieving. Someone who works churns through 6 hours of work in 4 isn't necessarily better if it isn't delivering a superior product.

Kate Elizabeth

Herbert Moran (7)
Good article on Hunt in the Brisbane Times

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...m-with-reds-signing-coup-20140901-10atof.html

Points to note:
- very impressed with Graham
- not far off playing weight (4 kg)
- won't play NRC

Hoping that his comments around RG are representative of Graham's strategic vision for us. I know that RG will have struggled a bit in the vacuum left by Link (even though there was the 'shared' year) but I do think we were directionless/not working towards anything. And I never really got the feel that it was on field only e.g. we had a plan but we didn't work towards it. I got the feel in post-match interviews that things were always a surprise.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Other point to note is that he isn't going to do a Brad Thorn and turn out for The Darkness. Had forgotten about that possibility.

He has ruled out playing for the All Blacks, should they come calling. He was born in Auckland but has played rugby league for Queensland and Australia.

Some very mature and professional responses to the interview questions. It sounds as if he will quickly become an asset to the team, regardless of his on field performance.

I hope Richard Graham doesn't see the new signings as his Silver Bullets. There is a fair amount of blood, sweat and tears, and coaching effort to be put into Team Red to recover from Season 2014. A bunch of new signings aren't going to do the do by themselves.

masai

Frank Nicholson (4)

I wouldn't read too much into that part of the article. There's no direct quote from Hunt on what his current weight and target weight are. It appears that the writer just looked up Hunt's listed weight on the Suns website (91 kg) and subtracted that from some arbitrary "mid-90s" target to get the figure of 4 kg.

I think the whole weight issue is hugely overblown, at any rate. He was listed by various sources as being 92 kg when he joined Biarritz from the Broncos. I'd guess that most of that 1 kg weight difference is fat as well, given the huge aerobic requirements of AFL. He's already in great condition for rugby.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
If there's a coaching change to 2015, I wonder how secure Meehan is.

Stiles' City look much better coached than Meehan's Country at this point, but Meehan's Country is a game behind. I was particularly unenthused with Country's back play, which is worrying, but they haven't been together long.

Is RG involved with City and Country at all in the NRC?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Good article on Hunt in the Brisbane Times

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...m-with-reds-signing-coup-20140901-10atof.html

Points to note:
- very impressed with Graham
- won't play NRC

Pity that he's not going to turn out in the nrc, good to see he is till training with them though. Worth noting he didn't say he definitely wouldn't:

"My first priority is to get integrated, brush up on my skills. Obviously the NRC competition is on… Richard and I have spoken and he probably won't be rolling me out in that competition. I'll be with the boys training and learning the game again," Hunt said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/karmichael-hunt-credits-richard-graham-with-reds-signing-coup-20140901-10atof.html#ixzz3C3D9uymA

Was interesting to see Link wanted to see him in the NRC:

McKenzie also hopes that Hunt may get to play some National Rugby Championship games this year, pending what leeway his contract with the Reds will allow.
"The NRC does give games right up until November. So, theoretically, he could go into the Super season next year with four or five games under [his] belt," he said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/welcome--but-no-guarantees-says-mckenzie-to-oconnor-and-hunt-20140831-10al6l.html#ixzz3C3DjEWEY

Wonder if there is something in the contract to block it or if RG is just playing it safe for the moment. Still holding out hope he'll turn out for a game or two but it does look pretty unlikely now.

T

TOCC

The QRU construct of the NRC teams has RG in a director of coaching position above both NRC coaches, what does that mean specifically? I don't know, but i'd imagine if RG wants to see 'player x' played in a position to give him exposure for Super Rugby 2015 then that will likely happen.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The QRU construct of the NRC teams has RG in a director of coaching position above both NRC coaches, what does that mean specifically? I don't know, but i'd imagine if RG wants to see 'player x' played in a position to give him exposure for Super Rugby 2015 then that will likely happen.

Gee, if you were coaching either of those Qld NRC teams, you'd be keeping your training times secret lest RG arrive.:)

T

TOCC

376177-e0275784-31be-11e4-a4ae-fb26f1bf6f83.jpg

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...el-hunt-as-pivot/story-e6frg7o6-1227044375468
Main points:

John Connoly thinks JOC (James O'Connor) should be playing fullback, he thinks his individual brilliance is better suited to the position rather then wing. RG has said "he is not opposed to JOC (James O'Connor) playing fullback"

Hunt doesn't think he will play in the NRC but RG said they will see how his conditioning goes. RG also thinks Hunt could also play 5/8 or outside centre.

Victor Vito is unlikely to sign with the Reds.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
John Connoly thinks JOC (James O'Connor) should be playing fullback, he thinks his individual brilliance is better suited to the position rather then wing.

John Connolly also thought Benn Robinson wasn't the best loosehead prop we had available in 2007. For someone who was supposed to be good at ten-man rugby plans, he was bad at front rowers.

Wouldn't be asking him about backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.