• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
If the selection ranking at NSW is as described it would seem the 3rd and 4th ranked 3s were leap frogged to select Bowdich in selection and conversations here.
maybe the sixth ranked NSW THP is from the right association

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If the selection ranking at NSW is as described it would seem the 3rd and 4th ranked 3s were leap frogged to select Bowdich in selection and conversations here.
maybe the sixth ranked NSW THP is from the right association
That will happen when 1s plays 2s. It looks like he's been pulled up as reserve for the GF because he had such a great carnival when in truth it was easier to fill the ARU front row specs with the 3 from CS.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
PS - Sedgman has been playing in the 2nd XV also, I hear.

Now I hear that Sedgman has played just one game in the Twos. I also hear that he had been injured; so it could have been a comeback game, or even a stratagem against and undefeated Kings Two's team.

So Sedgman, the THP of the best team in the NSW GPS (and second-ranked to Fifita by NSW selectors) could be a candidate for THP - and incidentally be third hooker cover for the squad.

Aurora Australis

Frank Nicholson (4)
I haven't seen enough games and mixed in the right circles but berry Holmes always gets a good write up ..... Country captain NSW 2s this year
Will McCrae was in NSW 1as 2nd THP but you only hear the scrums he plays against are bad so he probably hasn't been tested and as the fourth THP would not have had much game time at the nationals.
Both would have competed against the selected Qld front rows over the past three years
Clearly have to head to Qld for the next GPS representative.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Prop: If the mail on FIFITA is correct and he is out then that is a massive loss given his experience. Gavin LUKA from Queensland has previously played THP.

There seems to be a fairly big gap between the top echelon of fatties selected and the next grouping. McRAE (mentioned above) from St Augustines is young and he could do a Bradbury, but I can't see him forcing his way into the 23 man Test Squad if he was selected.
James McCOLL THP from Q2 caught my eye during Nationals. How is he going in the Qld QPS Competition? Possible smokies for the Fattie jumper are RJ SA'AGA or JP SAUNI (played Nationals with a broken nose) from Vic.

Hooker: Assuming MAFI is also unavailable leaves a fairly big gap in the #2 ranks, particularly with TAI (ACT) also in Team Rehab.
E. PRITCHARD is an energiser bunny around the paddock but I worry about his size, and a propensity to take the ball into contact rather than distribute it, and he has copped a few knocks on the melon this year.
WILKINSON would be a bit of a handy chap to have on tour as he plays a very similar hooker/extra loose forward game like CRAIG, giving flexibility but he would need to do some serious work on his lineout throws. I see him as a loosie that can play front row at a pinch. He would be a good back up to MORONEY.
FOTOKAVA has previous high level experience at #2 but similarly suffers from lineout throw yips.
NETTLETON hasn't had too many wraps but I like the way he plays but think, like McRae, he will be ready for Higher Selection next year. This leads me to throw up SEDGMAN as the smokie. (Oops:oops: -See edit remarks)

This is the side that I think the Selectors will name for the NZ Test, with some minor tinkering with positions for Fiji and NZ Barbarians games.

1. Gavin LUKA — St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD 1
2. Ed CRAIG — Epping Boys’ High School NSW 1
3. Shambeckler VUI — Ipswich Grammar School QLD 1
4. Andrew VATUVEI — Sarah Redfern High School NSW 1
5. Izack RODDA — Ipswich Grammar School QLD
6. Hugh SUMMERHAYES — Cranbrook School NSW 1 / Tom BLAKE — Marcellin College VIC
7. Connor MORONEY — SJC Gregory Terrace QLD 1
8. Angus CRICHTON — The Scots College NSW 1 (VC)
9. Harrison GODDARD — Oakhill College NSW 1
10.Connor O’SHEA — Saint Joseph’s College NSW 1
11.Ah-mu TUIMALEALI'IFANO — Roxburgh College VIC
12.Izaia PERESE — Anglican Church Grammar School QLD
13.Henry HUTCHISON — St Ignatius’ College NSW 1 (C)
14.Joey FITTOCK — The Southport School QLD 1
15.Jordan FULIVAI — St Francis Xavier College ACT

16. Evan PRITCHARD St Ignatius’ College NSW II
17.Richie ASIATA — Anglican Church Grammar School QLD 2
18.Phil BRADFORD — Hunter Sports High School NSW 1
19.Harley FOX — Anglican Church Grammar School QLD 1
20.Tom BLAKE — Marcellin College VIC / Hugh SUMMERHAYES — Cranbrook School NSW 1
21.Nicholas DUFFY — St Joseph’s College, Hunters Hill NSW 2
22.Jordan JACKSON-HOPE — St Edmund’s College ACT
23.Sepesa L0GA-TAROGI — Newington College NSW 1

Running the Water:
Replacement for Vunipola FIFITA — Newington College NSW 1
Maumau MONU — Canberra College ACT

Kicking Tee
Sione TUIPULOTU — St. Kevin’s College VIC

I still think we are light on in the Second Row department and would have liked to see someone like RUDOLF or HEWAT added to the squad rather than yet another loose forward. I also think that we may also be a bit shy on in the back three. The Wallabies got a lesson in how important it is to select players in their best position, not find positions for the best players, and you get the feeling that the selecters may have followed the example set by McKenzie/Deans.

Edit: Congratulations to Evan PRITCHARD St Ignatius’ College NSW II, who has just been confirmed as replacing Alex MAFI, who has withdrawn.
My second guessing above was wrong, again!

Bingham

Bob McCowan (2)
Have just watched video highlights of New/Scots game and having no
Involvement with either school I concur that Creighton is a
Standout but No7 for Scots seems involved in everything and I think one of the
Best on field. He seems to know where the ball and play is going
Before it does. Is that Smith? Is he a shadow for Scoolboys? Is he 16?
Does anyone know the official list of Shadow players. Don't think Porter is on it
A big SUPRISE as he has had an outstanding year. Strang was also a standout . Is it just me or are Qld very well represented in the team??

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Have just watched video highlights of New/Scots game and having no
Involvement with either school I concur that Creighton is a
Standout but No7 for Scots seems involved in everything and I think one of the
Best on field. He seems to know where the ball and play is going
Before it does. Is that Smith? Is he a shadow for Scoolboys? Is he 16?
Does anyone know the official list of Shadow players. Don't think Porter is on it
A big SUPRISE as he has had an outstanding year. Strang was also a standout . Is it just me or are Qld very well represented in the team??
Porter does not have a strong kicking game - considered vital in NZ.
I believe the 7 is Smith but he was an 8 earlier in the season. Not sure when they moved him. He is a natural 7 and his lack of size matters less there plus his outright speed can be used better, IMO.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Porter does not have a strong kicking game - considered vital in NZ.
I believe the 7 is Smith but he was an 8 earlier in the season. Not sure when they moved him. He is a natural 7 his lack of size matters less there plus his outright speed can be used better, IMO.
Smith moved to 7 with the injury to Deer at Kings. Deer is finished for the season.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A Shadow Squad has not been announced as one consolidated list, and having got to the month of the NZ tour without it being announced for general consumption, it probably never will be.

There is very little surprise in a year when Australia A is announced, that the "shadow squad" for the Australian Schoolboys is usually the entire Australia A Squad.

With no incoming tour, there has been no Australia A squad selected this year, so with no consolidated list announced for general public consumption that there will be some conjecture as to who is a Shadow and who isn't.

The players themselves have been told that they are in the shadow squad, and that they should keep fit and have a passport and yada yada yada etc.

Tongues have wagged and some boys/parents may have told other boys/parents that they are in the Shadow Squad (good on them), and by a process of elimination, a number of people may know of 5 or so players who are "in the Shadow Squad". That is probably as good as you are going to get.

Does it really matter?

Smith sounds like a real livewire of a lad with a promising future ahead of him if he can stay fit and uninjured. If he is as good as he is reported to be, then he will achieve higher representative honours in due course.

Bingham

Bob McCowan (2)
A Shadow Squad has not been announced as one consolidated list, and having got to the month of the NZ tour without it being announced for general consumption, it probably never will be.

There is very little surprise in a year when Australia A is announced, that the "shadow squad" for the Australian Schoolboys is usually the entire Australia A Squad.

With no incoming tour, there has been no Australia A squad selected this year, so with no consolidated list announced for general public consumption that there will be some conjecture as to who is a Shadow and who isn't.

The players themselves have been told that they are in the shadow squad, and that they should keep fit and have a passport and yada yada yada etc.

Tongues have wagged and some boys/parents may have told other boys/parents that they are in the Shadow Squad (good on them), and by a process of elimination, a number of people may know of 5 or so players who are "in the Shadow Squad". That is probably as good as you are going to get.

Does it really matter?

Smith sounds like a real livewire of a lad with a promising future ahead of him if he can stay fit and uninjured. If he is as good as he is reported to be, then he will achieve higher representative honours in due course.
Thanks. You are a wealth of information.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That is interesting news. I have always liked the cut of Yeomans jib since I saw him at Knox in the NSW Schools U16 trials in 2012. His selection is just another in a long line of "don't give up just because one bunch of selectors doesn't write your name down." Ned was only deemed good enough to make ISA 2nd XV, and was also overlooked by NSW Schools Selectors. He was given a chance via the Combined States Team, and the rest is history. Congratulations to him.

With 2 players now called up from Shadow, we are at the predicted rate. If history is to continue to guide us, there may be one more emergency flight to New Zealand after the tour starts.

It would also appear that Fifita is not injured, or if he is, it is not considered serious enough to warrant a shadow call up. He is still listed on the Aust Schools website. That is good news, as he will add starch, experience, size and speed up front which will be needed against NZ and Fiji Schools

This is the side that I now think the Selectors will name for the NZ Test, with some minor tinkering with positions for Fiji and NZ Barbarians games.

1. Gavin LUKA — St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD 1
2. Ed CRAIG — Epping Boys’ High School NSW 1
3. Vunipola FIFITA — Newington College NSW 1 (C)
4. Andrew VATUVEI — Sarah Redfern High School NSW 1
5. Izack RODDA — Ipswich Grammar School QLD
6. Hugh SUMMERHAYES — Cranbrook School NSW 1
7. Connor MORONEY — SJC Gregory Terrace QLD 1
8. Angus CRICHTON — The Scots College NSW 1 (VC)
9. Harrison GODDARD — Oakhill College NSW 1
10.Connor O’SHEA — Saint Joseph’s College NSW 1
11.Ah-mu TUIMALEALI'IFANO — Roxburgh College VIC
12.Sione TUIPULOTU — St. Kevin’s College VIC
13.Izaia PERESE — Anglican Church Grammar School QLD
14.Joey FITTOCK — The Southport School QLD 1
15.Jordan FULIVAI — St Francis Xavier College ACT

16.Evan PRITCHARD St Ignatius’ College NSW 2
17.Richie ASIATA — Anglican Church Grammar School QLD 2
18.Phil BRADFORD — Hunter Sports High School NSW 1
19.Harley FOX — Anglican Church Grammar School QLD 1
20.Tom BLAKE — Marcellin College VIC 1
21.Nicholas DUFFY — St Joseph’s College, Hunters Hill NSW 2
22.Jordan JACKSON-HOPE — St Edmund’s College ACT
23.Sepesa L0GA-TAROGI — Newington College NSW 1

Running the Water:
Shambeckler VUI — Ipswich Grammar School QLD 1
Maumau MONU — Canberra College ACT

Kicking Tee
Ned YEOMANS —Kinross Wolaroi School CS

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Wow Hutchison is out: that is a blow but to balance that Fifita is named and that is a huge plus as he must be fit.

Whereas HH can be replaced by an excellent player (Perese was outstanding in U/16s last year) Fifita was virtually irreplaceable in my opinion.

Mafi is a big loss at hooker but if anybody saw the Waratah Cup final last week they would be feeling a bit more comfortable about Ed Craig, though he is not a bruiser as Mafi is.

Status
Not open for further replies.