• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v South Africa - Perth - 6 September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
That is another question, why was he being used regularly as a ball runner, the guy is a rock lifter, there to cleanout, tackle and push

I think our pack is short one ball runner at the moment. Simmons and Fardy CAN be decent here but have been quiet for the past two tests in this regard, and we badly miss TPN/Moore as well.

We are relying on Slipper, Hooper and Palu, which at test level just isn't enough.

Hence Carter being called on to do more ball running, a role he is clearly not ready for.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

So if that all pans out, the only change to the forward pack that was dominated by the ABs is Hanson for Charles? Seems a bit of a cop out, unless Link means to use the bench a lot earlier.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think our pack is short one ball runner at the moment. Simmons and Fardy CAN be decent here but have been quiet for the past two tests in this regard, and we badly miss TPN/Moore as well.

We are relying on Slipper, Hooper and Palu, which at test level just isn't enough.

Hence Carter being called on to do more ball running, a role he is clearly not ready for.

Can't say I've ever seen Rob Simmons in a running role in any of his test matches. The image just doesn't spring to mind. However, Sam Carter did make some good breaks in the tests against France. Might be a bit harsh to judge him only on his efforts against the ABs when especially in the second test no-one really made any indent in the defensive line.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Simmons isn't an out and out runner, but can be quite effective for three or four hit-ups a game, which is really all you need.

Carter's problems were such that I don't know if you can write them off because of the opposition. They were technical, and pretty easy to exploit- bad body height, no leg drive, loose carries. These are very fixable, obviously, but it means that the jury is still out on his readiness for top level test rugby.

I just think that without TPN and a big ball-running 6 we need another solid carrying option in the second row, and Horwill and Skelton are both far better suited to that than Simmons or Carter.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If Carter gets the nod and keeps his upright style the Boks will be all over him. Hope Kev or Skelton get a start alongside Simmons.
Seeing that Horwill only played 40 minutes on the weekend it would more likely be him.
Both Fardy and Palu need big games to retain their places.

Bronzewhaler

Stan Wickham (3)
If Carter gets the nod and keeps his upright style the Boks will be all over him. Hope Kev or Skelton get a start alongside Simmons.
Seeing that Horwill only played 40 minutes on the weekend it would more likely be him.
Both Fardy and Palu need big games to retain their places.

Watched Sydney (lack of ) Stars v Rising Rebels. Rising second row smashed in to defence and offence contact. Big, fast, agile.
Skelton ran out of puff after 10 minutes. Slow, fell on rucks if they were close enough to jog to, lost ball in contact. Lovely big fella - but not a Wallaby!

T

Train Without a Station

Skelton was easily marked by the Rising defence.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

disagree, three pods is fine, provided the rest are working to support on the hip to clean out or catch the ball and realign

Sending Carter for one out runs with the cleanout turning up late is the recipe for disaster

We have lacked attacking structure to get go forward in the last two games

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Skelton was easily marked by the Rising defence.

the difference was at the Tahs they structured the pods (often two) around the runners, they had support and cleanout ready with a secondary attack option of the ball going behind the pods to the backs out wider

the Stars had him as the only runner

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Beale at fullback - oh god.

IF it were to eventuate that the players had those numbers on their backs, I'd say we'd defend with Izzy at 15..I don't think it will happen though..Beale will either be at 10 still with Phipps at 9 or on the bench..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's only a couple of hours away but I won't be surprised if we see at least one change from the speculated team from yesterday's training session. Link doesn't seem to go with the obvious.

I also think that Beale at fullback and Folau to the wing is 100% not going to happen. That smells purely of a journalist trying to fill column inches.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I watched the first half that Skelton played and the half Kev played on the weekend earlier today.
Horwill was pretty busy. He made a of of tackles, moved a lot of people at the breakdown and made some yards up the middle. He looks in pretty good nick. Skelton didn't do himself any favours. He did some good stuff but was in and out of the play rather than steadily contributing. Not sure that is what we need at the start of the test this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.