• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Official Shield Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Actually, if you were tracking it correctly - remembering the challenge element - it would be the first team with an Away win.

That would mean Perth Spirit won it in Round 1, then lost it in Round 2 to the dirty cheating Brisvegans.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Actually, if you were tracking it correctly - remembering the challenge element - it would be the first team with an Away win.

That would mean Perth Spirit won it in Round 1, then lost it in Round 2 to the dirty cheating Brisvegans.

While I'm certainly not opposed to Brisbane city holding it, I think it has to be first awarded at the end of this season, either to the Minor Premiers or the overall winner of the comp.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Minor Premiers makes more sense I guess, particularly as challenges aren't going to be done in finals.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Minor Premiers makes more sense I guess, particularly as challenges aren't going to be done in finals.
Yeah that was my thinking. Potentially you take it a step further and ignore bonus points, so you're giving it to the team with the most regular season wins. That probably won't be any different from the minor premiers, but it's worth considering.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd still go with the team that wins the competition. Just makes more sense to me. The champions defend it first, not the minor champions.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
The toilet seat is shit we have it and you can't drink out of it. Should have made the toilet seat for minor premiers and the major premiers to win a toilet bowl to go with it. Future competitions to include sinks and doorhandles as items for winning

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So according to the officialdom here at GAGR the ARU have gone a bit quiet.

Therefore the crowdfunding option is on the table.

Stay tuned.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So according to the officialdom here at GAGR the ARU have gone a bit quiet.

Therefore the crowdfunding option is on the table.

Stay tuned.

The "other" PFitzy seems to be on board:

"...One suggestion floated this week was to name the new NRC trophy in honour of former Brumby, 7s, Randwick and inaugural Rebels player, Shawn Mackay, who was tragically run over and killed in South Africa five years ago, while with the Brumbies. A notable link would be that he got his start in the inaugural ARC, and as he played in all of NSW, ACT, QLD and Melbourne – and played rugby with passion and derring-do – honouring him in that manner would have a certain symmetry."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fit...n-zimbabwe-20140905-10cw9x.html#ixzz3CW9Lu0JA

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Congratulations to Melbourne, quality side.

In other news that was exactly what the NRC is all about - fringe players getting experience against the pros. Those Brisbane city guys will get a lot out of versing a team like Melbourne compared to what they would get out of clubland.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
a young footballer from up norf
tried to outverse a Victorian tawf
sonnet or prose
who knows how it goes
when you cant come up with a line that meets conventional rhyming schemes

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Oh my god someone said versing on a sports website, kill on sight

My boy came home with that horrid league term from school and I made it perfectly clear that it was not acceptable.

Gen Y and below complains that no-one wants to grant their little unicorn wishes? Let them work for it, starting with the spoken word.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Congratulations to Melbourne, quality side.

In other news that was exactly what the NRC is all about - fringe players getting experience against the pros. Those Brisbane city guys will get a lot out of versing a team like Melbourne compared to what they would get out of clubland.

Keep in mind, a lot of the Rising (and Spirit) are fringe players as well, so the experience they're getting as a group will be beneficial for the Australian conference going forward.

More depth in the Aus conference = more Rebel and Force players in the Wobs squad = less Rebel and Force players in the NRC = more opportunities for club players and a greater spread of talent = more depth in the Aus conference.

It's the circle of life, Simba.

Status
Not open for further replies.