• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 – ITM CUP - NZ's 3rd Tier Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Damn. Luatua scores in the corner after some nice leadup work, partial redemption for his earlier howler. Hickey converts from the sideline. 13-13. 19 to go.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Shocker kickoff by Hickey - chance for the Makos to get into the scoring zone after they elected to take a lineout after the kickoff went out on the full.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Poor call by the AR there. Squire had his foot in touch first.
At the time I thought Squire had put his foot in touch first but I was surprised the AR ruled otherwise especially given that the AR was probably between 35 and 45 metres away at the time!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sorry about the crap formatting, I'll have a crack at tidying it up & re-post if successful.

For those unfamiliar with how the comp works, the Premiership is the top flight & the winner gets their name on the Cup while the Championship is kinda a 2nd Division (although there are cross-over matches) & the winner gets promoted to the Premiership next year at the expense of the last-placed P'ship team.

Championship
Pos Team P WD L -/+ BP Pts
1 Outage. 3 2 0 1 21 1 9
2 Hawkes Bay 3 2 0 1 -11 1 9
3 Southland 3 2 0 1 4 0 8
4 Manawatu 3 2 0 1 -17 0 8
5 Northland 3 1 0 2 -20 2 6
6 North Harbour 3 0 0 3 -24 2 2
7 Bay Of Plenty 3 0 0 3 -78 1 1
Premiership
Pos Team P W D L -/+ BP Pts
1 Canterbury 3 3 0 0 115 3 15
2 Taranaki 4 2 1 1 64 3 13
3 Tasman 3 2 1 0 49 2 12
4 Waikato 4 2 0 2 -42 1 9
5 Counties 3 1 1 1 -2 2 8
6 Auckland 3 1 1 1 -11 1 7
7 Wellington 3 0 0 3 -48 1 1

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's surprising that Jackson yellow carded him and it wasn't for pushing him over.

He should be suspended for that. You can't just push the referee over.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The lad that got in trouble in the Wests v Queenbayan 3rd game for breaching Law 10.4(m) and 10.4(a) found himself on the sidelines for 56 games.
http://www.queanbeyanage.com.au/sto...for-four-years-over-queanbeyan-whites-attack/

The reports of the offence involved wiping blood on the referees jumper, head butting another player and punching another player. Obviously there are two sides to the story, I recall at the time reading that there was concern that the worst offence related to the blood on the referee, and whether that was malicious or accidental. Anyhow, it would appear that a major component of the suspension was related to the interaction between the player and the referee.

In this instance the contact between the player and the referee appears to be premeditated and a deliberate act.

I'm not sure that World Rugby :cool: thought about this possibility when they crafted guidance for Illegal and/or Foul Play and Misconduct ( IRB Regulation 17)

Judiciary Entry Point Based on Scale of Seriousness of the Player’s conduct, which constitutes the offending.

Law No.6.A.5, 10.4(k) Physical Abuse of Match Officials
Lower End 24 weeks, Mid Range 48 weeks, Top End 96+ weeks, Maximum Sanction Life

Law No.6.A.5, 10.4(k) Threatening Actions or Words at Match Officials
Lower End 12 weeks, Mid Range 24 weeks, Top End 48+ weeks, Maximum Sanction 260 weeks
Law No 10.4(f) Holding, pushing or obstructing an Opponent not holding the ball except in a scrum, ruck or maul
Lower End 2 weeks, Mid Range 4 weeks, Top End 6+ weeks, Maximum Sanction 52 weeks

Law No 10.4(f) Dangerous charging or obstructing or grabbing of Opponent without the ball, including shouldering
Lower End 2 weeks, Mid Range 5 weeks, Top End 9+weeks, Maximum Sanction 52 weeks

Possibly some of the above relate although one may need to substitute Match Official for Opposition in the latter three.

I'm not sure life ban as suggested above is appropriate, but it should be a very long time. Tough tits if he is a professional and will not be able to "work" during his suspension.
If most people did similar in their workplaces (shoving the CEO arse over tit in the Coffee machine queue), it would probably impact on their ability to remain employed at that workplace, and probably not too many other employers would be in a rush to engage their services.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
To be fair, do you think he purposely pushed him over, or pushed him out of way as attacking players would I imagine be running that channel? I have seen a lot of contact with refs, and certainly agree they have to be protected, and if any malice at all was in push,I would suspend him for a long time. If he was just pushing him out of way,I still have no probs with a lower end suspension, but I really believe Jackson would know what went on, and if he though a problem would see it sorted big time. I actually think we have seen a lot of refs get pushed out of way, knocked over, balls kicked into them last year or two.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Poor positioning by Jackson, and I'm not sure that there was any malice in the push, but it was a fairly powerful shove and there doesn't seem to be any "Move Sir!" or words to that general effect from TummyFuna before he shoves him out of the way.

Is it more cynical than dumb? Probably not, but some dumb rucking, tip tackles, head highs and punchiing/striking end up before judiciary as well.

There is a 72 hour citing window isn't there? He may escape further sanction if neither province nor the Match Reviewer (if they have such a beast in the ITM cup) lodge complaints soon.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hopefully someone from high up has at least had a stern word in his ear regarding how inappropriate it was and what the suspensions would potentially be if they took the matter further.

If a club player did that they'd be suspended for a long time. You don't want the professionals thinking they can push the referee out of their way if they think they're standing in the wrong spot.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm a bit of a Tameifuna fan - I still think he needs to sit out a couple of weeks at least for that. Hard to imagine that he didn't notice that the person in his peripheral vision was wearing pink just as you can't imagine he would have pushed someone in yellow, red and black. Personally I think he "must" have known he was pushing the referee.I suspect he did not expect that Jackson would fall over but more that Jackson would simply move out of the way, but you can't touch the referee.

Bad form Ben.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
That really was stupid stuff from Ben T. Ben T was wide enough from the ruck that Jacko was not going to get in his way, so he didn't have to go with the big push like that. Ben T could even have stepped a little to the right.

It was deliberate and dumb, and Jacko flew like a good 1st 5 does when he encounters a prop :)

Status
Not open for further replies.