• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Something along the lines of (paraphrasing here):

"""
Sources say that hopes of Vito signing for the Reds have been dashed. Reds made a big play for Vito, but couldn't get the deal over the line.
"""

Big shame.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
bugger! Obviously still a bit of cash to spend on someone then. I am somewhat happy to go with a Henrick Tui (ignorantly believing him to have the skills we need), along with Gill and Browning in the backrow, with the likes of Beau, Quirk and Schatz as back up.

I'd still like an aggressive tight head prop under the belief that the most important player in your team is the THP and then next most important is the reserve THP.

Again, not sure who is available (particularly in a RWC year) but we still have the marquee spot available.

Is there a good link anywhere to the Japanese team squads?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
bugger! Obviously still a bit of cash to spend on someone then. I am somewhat happy to go with a Henrick Tui (ignorantly believing him to have the skills we need), along with Gill and Browning in the backrow, with the likes of Beau, Quirk and Schatz as back up.

I'd still like an aggressive tight head prop under the belief that the most important player in your team is the THP and then next most important is the reserve THP.

Again, not sure who is available (particularly in a RWC year) but we still have the marquee spot available.

Is there a good link anywhere to the Japanese team squads?

I think the competition for back row spots should help us get more out of the players, Schatz in particular is capable of playing much better then he did this year. Would think we might be able to pick up an Argentinian keen to press his test claims or get ready for their entry into super rugby, but it might be too late to buy from Europe.

I'm yet to find a good up to date listing for Japanese squads.

T

Tip

What about Hunt's amazing transformation from 93kg to 100kg immediately after the NRL season?

I think that puts to bed the whole "his body won't be up to union" line.

Suns are knocked out of finals contention. He has September to February before the first game, which is 6 months of strength and conditioning.

Bold prediction: Hunt will be better than Izzy. Izzy just doesn't have the ball skills or the all round game to claim the World's best Fullback line, especially when Bin Smith is strutting his stuff

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)

Suns are knocked out of finals contention. He has September to February before the first game, which is 6 months of strength and conditioning.

Bold prediction: Hunt will be better than Izzy. Izzy just doesn't have the ball skills or the all round game to claim the World's best Fullback line, especially when Bin Smith is strutting his stuff

Very Bold predicition, hoping your right Tip

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)

Massive prediction. Unfortunately, I disagree. I don't think Hunt has ever had the absolute raw talent that Folau has. Yes Hunt is a highly skillful player and those of you who watched him at the Bronco's will remember how he changed his play style a bit as he got older and became a good link-man and distributor. However, he still doesn't have that sheer speed and strength of Issy.

I do believe Hunt will be good for the Reds, assuming he adapts back into the game, he can play like an upgraded version of Harris positionally at 12 (good distributor, fast, hard lines) which is perfect if Kerevi slots into 13.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Izzy has been "worked" out a bit. Last Reds game, AB games - as with all great running players it is all about limiting their time and space. Opposing teams are now doing that to Folau.

I like Hunt as well. Direct running, hard INTO contact. Bloke has no fear

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
However, he still doesn't have that sheer speed and strength of Issy.

Is Folau actually particularly fast? He seemed to get chased down fairly easily by the ABs when he got that intercept and I've seen a few other games were he hasn't looked that quick. Perhaps he's one of those blokes with good acceleration over the first few metres but not that high top end speed. Though in most cases that's probably more useful for rugby anyway.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Folau's acceleration is really good but his top speed isn't good at all.

I reckon over 60+ metres he'd probably only beat Kuridrani amongst the Wallaby backs.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Matt Rogers was the classic example, lightning off the mark but average at top speed.

Regarding Tui, I'd prefer not to have high hopes for him and then be surprised. I read elsewhere that Tui couldn't make the starting side for Japan when they played the higher ranked nations. As I read it on the internets, naturally it is true and I haven't bothered to corrobate the truthiness content. edit: And remember that other Japanese players in Australia were barely sighted in their first year (Tatekawa, Horie).

Can't imagine Hunt being better than Folau. He's also a different type of player, Folau is a much better tackle buster and better in the air. Hunt has better all round ball skills and kicking.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Think Folau can be a devatating runner, but he should also be used as a decoy more - the gaps will be there and it may be that our wings can take advantage of that by cutting Folau out with a wide ball.

Kate Elizabeth

Herbert Moran (7)
Can't imagine Hunt being better than Folau. He's also a different type of player, Folau is a much better tackle buster and better in the air. Hunt has better all round ball skills and kicking.

Hopefully with Hunt on the field for the Bees (as we know he will be) we will have support for Izzy rather than the lacklustre support that followed his break two weeks ago. On second thoughts, it wasn't lack of speed that meant a lack of support, it was a lack of ticker.

Anyway, back on topic - it will be interesting to see what vision RG has for Tui fitting in and who drops back.

Status
Not open for further replies.