• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Rays .. NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
WOW not one MMM's player in the back line, lets hope the boys have done some tackling drills in the last week.

yeah - i can only look at the Shute Shield For and Against and wonder.
Matty Lucas - not half - you have to be kidding.
Maile & / or Sef serious.
Bergo & Porecki - well that'll do me.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
MACQUARIE UNI
NORTH HARBOUR RAYS

15. Cam CRAWFORD (Northern Suburbs)
14. David FELTSCHEER (Warringah)
13. Michael ADAMS (Warringah)
12. Tom MATTHEWS (Gordon)
11. Harry JONES (Warringah)
10. Hamish ANGUS (Warringah)
9. Josh HOLMES (Warringah)
8. Sam WARD (Warringah)
7. Kotoni ALE (Manly)
6. Michael WELLS (Northern Suburbs)
5. Greg PETERSON © (Manly)
4. Ed GOWER (Manly)
3. Nick FRASER (Gordon)
2. Luke HOLMES (vc) (Warringah)
1. Mitch LEWIS (Manly)

RESERVES:
16. Dave PORECKI (Manly)
17. Kevin McNAMARA (Northern Suburbs)
18. tba
19. Ryan MELROSE (Manly)
20. Harry BERGELIN (Manly)
21. Matt LUCAS (Manly)
22. Sam VAEVAE (Manly)
23. Brian SEFANAIA (Manly)

senior

Peter Burge (5)
yeah - i can only look at the Shute Shield For and Against and wonder.
Matty Lucas - not half - you have to be kidding.
Maile & / or Sef serious.
Bergo & Porecki - well that'll do me.

Matty Lucas did look good V Melbourne but Holmes is also seriously talented - maybe these two are sharing games.
Matthews & Adams is a very good centre pairing (Sef looked good against Melb but did get caught out in defence a number of times).
Wells was brilliant V Melbourne so I don't know where you suggest the Rays put Bergelin (he showed that he isnt a 7). Bergelin's had a good year but remember other players in the comp eg Wells (2013 Aus 20s rep, Norths Capt) also had a good year. Bergo isn't big enough for 8 which Ward has owned this year and isn't a 7. He is simply the second best 6 at the moment. That being said, he will continue to get better.
Porecki's lineout throwing was shaky at best when he came on.
I know you would like to have the Manly XV run out onto the field but honestly other players havent earnt their opportunity as well. The Manly forward pack was excellent but you can't tell me Vaevae is better than Hamish Angus, Hingano is better than Matthews or Lucas & Sef offer more than Holmes and Adams. You will have 11 players in the 23. That is half the team...

Manly: 11
Warringah: 7
Norths: 3
Gordon: 2

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I know you would like to have the Manly XV run out onto the field but honestly other players havent earnt their opportunity as well. The Manly forward pack was excellent but you can't tell me Vaevae is better than Hamish Angus, Hingano is better than Matthews or Lucas & Sef offer more than Holmes and Adams. You will have 11 players in the 23. That is half the team.

Manly: 11
Warringah: 7
Norths: 3
Gordon: 2

You are wrong about liking the Manly side to run out, my concerns.

Senior - Wells had a cracker of a game and should rightly retain the 6.
Lucas - as per Wells and Holmes should be on the bench.
Porecki - his loose game was suburb, and with regards to line outs have ago at the height in the opposing side - Porecki / Holmes very close.
You say Sef got caught out in D - disagree - a good back line defends as a line with communication, I could blame the person on the inside and / or outside just as easily but I believe it comes down to game time as combos.

Yeah and i have Hingano miles a head of Matthews.

How many games did Feltshere play on the wing, and Crawford play at fullback this year? Do we have Dingo in the background with all these changes and players playing out of position.

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
Senoir - Did you have a chance to watch the game against Melb ?
Surely you not blaming Matt L & Brian S for the backs poor performance.

I have to agree with Dave B , playing players out of position is a concern
There are 7 Warringah players in the starting side this week and only 4 MMM'S in the starting side.

Here are some numbers for you.

MMM's ( for 779 against 310 ) def 469
Warringah ( for 521 against 491 ) def 10

So there is the concern from some of the Ray's supporters.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's interesting,the club stats indicate either the Rams coaches have it hopelessly wrong.
Or that the Manly coaching structure is vastly superior.
Or a bit of both.
I'm certain this would not be the starting team if Blake was still around.

senior

Peter Burge (5)
Senoir - Did you have a chance to watch the game against Melb ?
Surely you not blaming Matt L & Brian S for the backs poor performance.

I have to agree with Dave B , playing players out of position is a concern
There are 7 Warringah players in the starting side this week and only 4 MMM'S in the starting side.

Here are some numbers for you.

MMM's ( for 779 against 310 ) def 469
Warringah ( for 521 against 491 ) def 10

So there is the concern from some of the Ray's supporters.

Not blaming either of them. I thought Matt Lucas was outstanding (width in pass, speed and defence) and played at the same level, if not higher than Stirzaker did (esp considering the difference in fwd packs). I suggested above that maybe Lucas & Holmes are sharing game time as there is very little between them. I rate Lucas very highly and was surprised he didn't get more time with Tahs let alone in Manly's 1st grade side?? Sef offers plenty in attack but IMO got caught out a bit in defence (as I wrote above), happy to give the times in the match. I don't think that giving Adams a starting spot on his return from injury is far-fetched at all. He had a very strong season for the rats in attack and defence. I remember a few posts ago, Dave B had not seen Matthews play so that's a strong opinion to have of someone you've now seen play once??
Writing down Warringah and Manly's F & A for the season doesn't add anything.. The Warringah starting XV haven't been selected over the Manly XV - in fact there are more Manly players in this team. Further, it would be a bit much to drop the Vice Captain/most experienced Ray (L Holmes) after he came off the field in the first 20mins for a rookie (Porecki)? Again, this is not to say Porecki is not an outstanding talent - he could go further than Holmes. This is a similar argument to picking the Waratah combos in the Wallabies. Just because the Tahs won Super Rugby does not mean their players are the best in each position. Manly/Rats/Norths/Gordon all train in combination for the best part of 6 months. The rays have had 3 weeks.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I remember a few posts ago, Dave B had not seen Matthews play so that's a strong opinion to have of someone you've now seen play once??
Writing down Warringah and Manly's F & A for the season doesn't add anything.. The Warringah starting XV haven't been selected over the Manly XV - in fact there are more Manly players in this team. Further, it would be a bit much to drop the Vice Captain/most experienced Ray (L Holmes) after he came off the field in the first 20mins for a rookie (Porecki)? Again, this is not to say Porecki is not an outstanding talent - he could go further than Holmes. This is a similar argument to picking the Waratah combos in the Wallabies. Just because the Tahs won Super Rugby does not mean their players are the best in each position. Manly/Rats/Norths/Gordon all train in combination for the best part of 6 months. The rays have had 3 weeks.

I hadn't, have seen his highlights real and the game 2 weeks ago - I'd pick Hingano - but still early.

As for the rest of your post it is horses for courses and I'll use Lucas / Homes & Holmes / Porecki for an example.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just remember that one of the objectives of the NRC is to help develop players. You won't do this by having the same players run out each week. I think that the winning of the NRC is more important to those on this forum than the coaches responsible

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The primary objective of the ARU is to help develop players.I understand they ensured the entire 20's squad got a gig in the comp, to assist in their development.
However the individual franchises are all about winning,and nothing else.
Cam Treloar being picked up by a franchise not connected with his club is a perfect example.as is selecting Both the Holmes brothers in front of much younger options.Brian Sef is another,he is 28,why would he even be in the squad if development was the Rays no 1 priority?
Let's remember that the coaches involved see this as a stepping stone as well.

Goldust

Bob McCowan (2)
Interesting move on Lucas, he was quality last week. I thought Brian was ok last week, probably one of the better players, but the flyhalf is standing way too deep so the strengths of the centres are not being seen as Angus doesn't get at the line. Angus standing 10 metres away from the the ad line on phase is a major problem. Matthews didn't defend well and has a habit of coming out of the line when they are looking to drift and making it harder for everyone around him. I am sure they'll sort that out for this week.
The bigger issue is the scrum, Holmes not a noted scrummager and TH appears a major issue.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Interesting move on Lucas, he was quality last week. I thought Brian was ok last week, probably one of the better players, but the flyhalf is standing way too deep so the strengths of the centres are not being seen as Angus doesn't get at the line. Angus standing 10 metres away from the the ad line on phase is a major problem. Matthews didn't defend well and has a habit of coming out of the line when they are looking to drift and making it harder for everyone around him. I am sure they'll sort that out for this week.
The bigger issue is the scrum, Holmes not a noted scrummager and TH appears a major issue.

taken a while to join / about time - yep - hoping things improve by keeping the same team from week to week.

Status
Not open for further replies.