• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v South Africa - Perth - 6 September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
IMHO
Playing Rugby: JOC (James O'Connor) is a "once in a generation" player.

Social Conscience + Team Member + Role Model + Off Field Attitude - up until NOW = absolute crap

I just hope the bloke (he used to be a young bloke but not now) has matured blah blah and makes a valuable contribution in ALL of thise areas above.

I will AGAIN, give him the benefit of the doubt

Thankfully, JOC (James O'Connor) is a once in a generation player off the field as well. ;)

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I do agree with all the things your saying.

With the power of hindsight of what the AB do, and if we lived in a fictitious world of unicorns and fairies and Aus and NZ swapped places, of course we would do the same thing the AB's currently do.

Point is, continuity and experience matter. That needs to be balanced with pure talent. By all accounts, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is one of the most respected members of the squad. Right now, he has more caps than the rest of the starting back line combined (I think). Until his game slides, replacing him is a fool's errand.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
yep, trying to pre-empt the day that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is benched is like..well..it's just not going to happen in the near future!..not to mention completely irrelevant for this discussion!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Adam's contribution to Australia rugby is awesome.

BUT we all get older, a little bit slower, and even maybe a little less motivated, particularly after a RWC.

I reckon AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will play RWC for Australia then weigh up his many options overseas

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Fuck me scrubber we'll have no players left in Australia if you keep putting players out to pasture.

Mate have even heard your mate and others at the Reds may be off after 2015.

As everybody knows, players have a rugby life, it is limited. Players go new players step up. It has been that way since the game started.

Mate if it was up to you you'd still have Horan and Little in the centres. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Based on who you've said is likely to go overseas after the RWC, Angus Roberts could name his starting spot in the 2016 Wallabies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Got the Toulon Racing game on the box in the office here.

That Brand O'COnnor fella can still play.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
So about the game on the weekend then (BTW, Pocock and JOC (James O'Connor) won't be playing, so enough about them for mine).

I'm surprised there is only one (forced) change in the pack. I wouldn't have been surprised if a couple of blokes had been dragged after the Auckland debacle, but consistency in selection is a good thing. That same pack has been good for the seven or eight games before, so another chance is OK with me. In the halves I think Phipps and Foley is absolutely the way to go. KB (Kurtley Beale) is not a test 10 and Phipps showed in the back end of the Super rugby season how improved he is as a player. Quick ball from the breakdown and passing out in front of the ball running forwards and the backline will be very important. We can't beat the Boks flat footed. It's got to be forward motion and hitting holes all day. White hasn't been able to do that in the past few games.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Agreed. Not a good sign at all. Since all the facts aren't on the table (mainly because of Jim's silence) makes it hard to judge who's telling the truth. The fact that JOC (James O'Connor) hasn't really done any media on this in Australia worries me too.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Hodgson selection is a little odd seeing that we know Hooper will surely play out the 80 unless injured.
I would have thought McCalman or Jones would have been a better bet. I guess we really are scraping the bottom of the barrel with this squad. If Big Mac's still injured then Jones or Cotrell or someone else should have been brought in. Skelton could have been retained for a 30 minute blast early in the second half?
The same starting pack that was badly beaten last week is retained with the exception of moving to the 4th choice hooker because of injury.
Hope Links faith is repaid in full.

Go the Wallabies!

Status
Not open for further replies.