• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qantas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Qantas charges what they do for tickets and still lose $2b

Virgin charge much less and only lose $340m

Hmmmm

o_O

Joyce is a slimy little fucker and I'm sure his bonus will in some way be protected. As I said to Badger on twit: the modern CEO is rarely paid according to performance. The Boards who appoint them aren't as smart as the bloke applying, or they're a mate.

Even if Joyce lost his job, he'd find another one.

The glass ceiling now exists for everyone, not just women. Once you enter Club CEO you're there for life.

One of my favourite clips:

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's a fucking travesty. From a punter's view, a prick like Joyce can fuck the airline right in the back passage, and then be rewarded for it!

As you allude to Pfitzy, there is no real repercussion; sacking someone like Joyce doesn't provide the retributive justice we crave. I bet taking all his cash away would though. How you achieve that is a question for the ages.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
You might find that the lose is a book value lost by recalcutaing the value of the older fleet or 747 and that the demand for the A380 isn't high .

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
As you allude to Pfitzy, there is no real repercussion; sacking someone like Joyce doesn't provide the retributive justice we crave. I bet taking all his cash away would though. How you achieve that is a question for the ages.

About as much chance of taking any of my legally protected entitlements away, even as an IT shmuck.

If companies don't offer big money and share plans, they can't attract "talent". And if they write in that the money is all void in the event of under-performance, no-one will take the job.

So you get in, make as much noise and change as you can, claim "market conditions", then go onto bigger and better things.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Joyce has failed to get Qantas lean enough, improve the service culture and agile enough to compete so far, but I really doubt anyone can

They made major mistakes (like multiple plane choices etc) well before Joyce became CEO that makes their ongoing health just screwed until they can streamline their back end. Add to that a high cost unionised workforce, and everything takes forever to fix.

The transformation into becoming a lean business from essentially a comfortably semi government protected organisation is just struggling and shit is getting laid on shit

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I agree about the service levels. They're so fucking entitled and the old dragons in the cabin aren't nearly as eager to please as the young burds in Virgin aircraft

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A good metaphor of their bureaucracy from a few years ago...............

I had just been allocated their IT department as a client, for an "introductory" meeting with the CIO they had 20 plus people turn up for 2 hours of utter bullocks

I agree about the service levels. They're so fucking entitled and the old dragons in the cabin aren't nearly as eager to please as the young burds in Virgin aircraft

They had major battles internally just to stop the old battle axes claiming seniority and traipsing onto the new A380s. Apparently rewarding the best at service with the better gig was being unreasonable

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Joyce has failed to get Qantas lean enough, improve the service culture and agile enough to compete so far, but I really doubt anyone can

They made major mistakes (like multiple plane choices etc) well before Joyce became CEO that makes their ongoing health just screwed until they can streamline their back end. Add to that a high cost unionised workforce, and everything takes forever to fix.

The transformation into becoming a lean business from essentially a comfortably semi government protected organisation is just struggling and shit is getting laid on shit

He tried to make it "attractive to sell", but he fucked up.

How many fuck-ups can they endure?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Until the government changes policy it can't be sold

But he has cleared the decks, his replacement will secretly thank him

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xpa1/t1.0-9/p235x350/10615366_322619204573988_7486713124019410327_n.jpg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Rumour is Joyce is setting up for a big FY15. Guy at work said to get into Qantas shares now

T

Train Without a Station

I'll starting lighting cigars with $100's before that.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think the question should be can Qantas transformed into a modern airline?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

By modern airline, do you mean a state owned ones like Singapore, Emirates, Etihad, Air NZ, Air India, China Airlines, Finnair, South African Airways (to name just the main ones)?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.