• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Transition from Schoolboy Rugby to Colts - Is there a better way?

• Thread starter spirit of cupertino
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Fair enough. I will try Gordon. But if that fails I will wheel my barrow of discontent to the door of a Nathan Tinkler and set up a new, innovative rugby franchise for those that play for the love of the game.

My preference would be easts: look at the impact Coleman has had with Country Eagles!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Shouldn't name names but James Wilkinson from St Edmunds Gosford on the Central Coast does not go to a fancy school with a big rugby programme involving regular challenging inter-school games. His school is part of the CCC association, and it is outside Sydney Metro limits. He appears to have made his mind up that he wants to be serious about his rugby.

In Year 12 and still Under 18, he registered with Gordon Colts this year. He travels to Chatswood from somewhere on the Central Coast for Training, and all around Sydney on weekends for Shute Shield games. He has played a bunch of games at Hooker for Gordon Colts 1s. For some rounds, due to a lack of player numbers, he has played as run on hooker for both Colts 1 and Colts 2.

Having represented the CCC Association at NSW Schools trials, he was selected up for Combined States team at National Championships, and there has been talk from the keyboard selectors that he was in the running for an Australian Schoolboy jumper, or at least a gig in the Shadow Squad.

I can't recall seeing Wilkinson's name too many "best of best lists" previously. He was in the NSW Country U16 team in 2012. He wasn't in the NSW State U17 team last year, nor the NSW U15's in 2011.

In short, everything he has achieved this year is through his own efforts. He has had to break through prejudice against country rugby, CCC rugby, no SJRU or NSW JRU CV to achieve what he has achieved. There is no reason why a kid from Joeys 4ths, or in the 2nd XV behind an "irregularity" at another school can not do similar if they genuinely have raw talent and are prepared to do whatever is needed to play Colts footy.

If the nepotism is so bad, then and the kid is genuinely good enough, then go to a different club where the atmosphere is less toxic towards the lad.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Agreed. Unfortunately this has been my experience. The old nepotisms resurface, and those 1st XV players who on any independent assesment have gone backwards are not able to be challenged for their positions. It is precisely for this reason that we should look to a more transparent and inclusive system.
So your real bitch is that jnr did not get the run he deserved.
Given you have previously posted how much your 20yo enjoyed <85 kg games.
Maybe he should stick to that.
Problem solved.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Call me dumb, but I'm struggling to see what the problem is.

First, as we all know, most clubs struggle to fill three Colts teams. So they're not in the business of turning away keen young blokes who turn up to train. All grade clubs have websites with contact numbers. Ring them up!

Secondly: the thing is, you've left school. If you have been playing in GPS 1st XV Rugby, it's been easy. Someone comes along and puts you in a team. Training is all laid on for you at school, and you get cheered when you run onto the field and everyone tells you how great you are. But once you're out of school, that all stops. You need to get off your backside and motivate yourself to expose yourself to an unfamiliar environment, with new people who aren't specially impressed by your GPS 3rd XV rep jumper, and get yourself to training on cold, wet nights, and drive yourself to games at Forshaw or Penrith. You actually need to care enough about the game and your performance to do the work yourself. If you're inclined to complain that no-one has made your transition to Colts easier, then maybe you'd be better off playing for your school old boys team, where you can tell stories about those great games against Scots or whoever.

Thirdly: it's a new game. I was a distinctly average player, but I played in Colts in teams higher than a couple of guys who had played Australian Schools, because they were cruising on their school reputations (this is less likely to happen these days, I admit, because the guys who represent now have their eyes on professional contracts and tend to take things rather seriously. But the point remains - what you did at school counts for very little once you leave school).

Last point: people who like to complain that they don't get a fair go in Colts really just need to stick at it. Even the low-turnover clubs like Easts and Gordon used nearly 40 players in Firsts Colts last season. In all my years of involvement with club sport, I have never seen a player who performed consistently well and did not get rewarded for it. I was playing at University in the 1980s when Rob Egerton showed up. No-one really knew who he was - just some skinny guy from Canberra who'd played ACT Under-19 cricket. There was a spot available on the wing in Colts Threes. And that was his first game. He didn't whinge, or carry on, or tell everyone that it was unfair, because he could actually play better than just about everyone else in the Colts squad. He just went out there and ran around people. He let his form do the talking. Rather later, Tim Davidson started in Thirds Colts. I'm pretty sure Luke Burgess got his first run in Fourths Colts. Where you start isn't important. How you respond to where you start is what matters.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fair enough. I will try Gordon. But if that fails I will wheel my barrow of discontent to the door of a Nathan Tinkler and set up a new, innovative rugby franchise for those that play for the love of the game.

No need to start any new or innovative franchises. They are already there and there are at least 55 of them. They are part of an entity called NSW Suburban Rugby.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>. You need to get off your backside and motivate yourself to expose yourself to an unfamiliar environment, with new people who aren't specially impressed by your GPS 3rd XV rep jumper, and get yourself to training on cold, wet nights, and drive yourself to games at Forshaw or Penrith.

Classic. I always chuckle at the lads who turn up to their first few Colts training sessions in their SJRU U16 Zone gear, or Junior Gold Squad pants, or some such badge of honour token from a previous years achievement, as if that will impress the other players and Coaches. It may have been of value to impress whomsoever needed impressing at School training (or School Association Trials) but no one gives a stuff at Colts about what you have done previously or where you come from.

The lads with the JGS, or SJRU gear usually "lose" it from their training bag fairly quickly.

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
Classic. I always chuckle at the lads who turn up to their first few Colts training sessions in their SJRU U16 Zone gear, or Junior Gold Squad pants, or some such badge of honour token from a previous years achievement, as if that will impress the other players and Coaches. It may have been of value to impress whomsoever needed impressing at School training (or School Association Trials) but no one gives a stuff at Colts about what you have done previously or where you come from.

The lads with the JGS, or SJRU gear usually "lose" it from their training bag fairly quickly.

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
I love that Hugh, when my young bloke broke it to the rep side a mate of mine gave him him a bit of a pep talk before the trials while we were watching the younger age groups he said "look at those #@!% posers, when you get out there, any one with rep gear on you chew their face off, hit everyone with rep gear on. "and that is what he did my little neville nobody knocking the incumbent out of the team. Great advice from a former NRL player needless to say my boys trophy jumpers don't go to training or trials you never know who will chew your face off to get it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

The best/worst I saw of this was back in my playing days.
A school 2nd XV inside back turned up to all preseason training and colts training in the 1st Xv jersey of his (and my) school - well it was a black jersey with a crest but strangely no number. You could buy black jerseys back then and the crest was sewn on.
Got him absolutely nowhere. The school's assessment was quickly confirmed.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah, I went from playing for Sydney 18s (and thinking I wasn't too crap) to third grade in my first year of colts (we did win the comp though :cool:)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
FFS - good junior lads that stick to rugby, train hard, are very motivated and focussed, good level of skills, fairly injury free + a bit of luck often make it to higher honours.

Unfortunately some country and state school kids just don't get the same opportunities as city kids, particularly those at GPS schools, certainly in QLD - may be different in other States.

Those that exhibit the aforementioned attributes plus special talent often go all the way to the top.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Even with my "tin ear" the vibe I'm getting is that just joining a club and turning up to training isn't good enough for the elite of a certain school. Apparently at least one parent wants his offspring feted by all and sundry, clamouring for his services so he can be treated with the respect that the lad deserves.

In this day of electronic communications, apparently boys who have probably never written or received a letter in the lives, have parents demanding letters requesting the pleasure of junior's attendance.

Who said the age of entitlement was over?;)

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)

Brian, your schitzoid/oedipal rants belong more properly in an article by Foucault and I myself am arranging counselling on the off chance of finding myself stuck in a stuck lift with only you.

Ahhhh....L' Histoire de la folie!!!!!

Nothing like a schoolboy tome to come back with. Please quote any Oedipal references by M. Foucault. I like him. The Birth of the Clinic is still regarded today by those in the profession. I suggest you look at it.
But back to the topic...
I will deal with your posts chronologically. But I have one leading question.
Why do you have such a deep seeded resentment of Colts?
Not every kid gets an invite. These are not kids any more by the way they are men that can vote now. God help us all

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
L. I was playing at University in the 1980s when Rob Egerton showed up. No-one really knew who he was - just some skinny guy from Canberra who'd played ACT Under-19 cricket. There was a spot available on the wing in Colts Threes. And that was his first game. He didn't whinge, or carry on, or tell everyone that it was unfair, because he could actually play better than just about everyone else in the Colts squad. He just went out there and ran around people. He let his form do the talking. Rather later, Tim Davidson started in Thirds Colts. I'm pretty sure Luke Burgess got his first run in Fourths Colts. Where you start isn't important. How you respond to where you start is what matters.

Wyclif Palu played his first game of rugby in the 2nd row for Manly 3rd grade colts.:)

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Thank you for your detailed post. If only I could get you to see the problem you would be a fantastic advocate for some changes for the better.

1. Do I think the $200 should be spent on recruiting? Most def. Espec. since there is a database close at hand.

Why?

2.Is it enough that there are coaches to select the best team? No, we need a way bringing back young players.

Why?

There are winners and losers. That is why tsc recruited so heavily to win a premiership

3.Is Kellaway et al relevant to this discussion. No, not at all.

Very much so, as Andrew has gone to play for Randwick, and whilst never actually playing a game in Colts is as much a part of the team and club as Jarrod O'Hara the 4ths hooker.

4. Did I realize that some colts clubs already have their books full? Thank you for this frank admission.

If they are see point 5

5. Would a coach at a full club really ring around to get someone a job? Only in a perfect world. Sorry.

Yes. I know of one coach speaking with a dad from another club about University entrance applications.

6. Proposed system: A special personalised invite should be made to all boys on all databases to regroup and play on. They will be welcomed at a sausage sizzle put on to recruit them. They will be told of a great new policy of getting game time, even if it is in a reserves side. They will be selected for some trial games.

Can you cook a decent Brai?

Thank you for your understanding.
Maybe it has something to do with structure to quote M. Foucault

Status
Not open for further replies.