• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Rays .. NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Just remember that one of the objectives of the NRC is to help develop players. You won't do this by having the same players run out each week. I think that the winning of the NRC is more important to those on this forum than the coaches responsible

You won't develop players by gifting positions either. Pick the best players. If a player wants to get picked over another, he needs to improve. Boom. Development.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
You won't develop players by gifting positions either. Pick the best players. If a player wants to get picked over another, he needs to improve. Boom. Development.

Rather confident @Iluvmyfooty isn't about gifting players positions, pretty sure he's about lifting young huge potential to the next level - whether it be young players out of the Dewar, or young players out of the Shute.
Rays aren't being handed Super players, they are developing - and yeah I don't agree with some of the selection but I'm please there is development.

Holmes boys are keeping young quality off the park (or on bench).

T

Train Without a Station

They're not keeping them off the park. Those players form/training/etc. is keeping them off the park.

T

Train Without a Station

Well then it's nothing to do with age or holding players back. It's just failing to select the best team. But my point is that squad rotation shouldn't be done to expose everybody. Expose those who show that they are the best 23 that week.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
How do you know how the players stack up if you don't see how they go in a game and against strong opposition. Just think at this time of the competition rotation and seeing how players interact and perform with others is a good indicator an development opportunity. Game time identifies areas of concern/development more than training.

T

Train Without a Station

Between an entire Shute Shield season and training surely the coaches can see who stacks up

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looks like back to drawing board for the coaching staff of the Rays. This is a little different from the Shute Shield

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well , what will the coaches do this week to find a winner combination.It appears he wasn't very happy with some players last week?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Guys a bit slow on the teams - Superbru is seeking tips today.
Heres my team
Lewis
Porecki
Dane Maraki
Gower
Petersen
Bergelin
Ale
Ward
Lucas
thinking - Vaevae / Angus / Holmes (?)
Northam
Hingano
Sefiana
Jones
Hartman

To damn right it has a Manly feel, to justify way - they one the minor premiership and have combinations, Rats were up there and then some.
Maraki - was training with the Tahs 2013 and then injury came.
Bergelin V Wells - I'm very impressed with Wells, a hard tough player - Bergelin has a more complete game and with hard men Gower / Petersen / Ward playing the extra width and dimension Bergelin brings he'd get my pick.
10. thinking.
The backs I've gone with combo's that have worked this year.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Love your passion Dave!
But if this team was not good enough to win the SS,surely they are not good enough at a higher level?
Is BJ even in the squad?

That is why I borrowed a few rats in the above team.
BJ don't know, on 2013 form (switched between 10 & 15) I'd agree with you, on 2014 were he had stability in the position I don't agree with you.

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just found the side for this weeks game , REALLY????
NORTH HARBOUR RAYS
15. Dave FELTSCHEER (Warringah)
14. Cam CRAWFORD (Northern Suburbs)
13. Michael ADAMS (Warringah)
12. Tom MATTHEWS (Gordon)
11. Sireli TAGICAKIABAU (Warringah)
10. Hamish ANGUS (Warringah)
9. Matt LUCAS (Manly)
8. Sam WARD (Warringah)
7. Kotoni ALE (Manly)
6. Michael WELLS (Northern Suburbs)
5. Greg PETERSON © (Manly)
4. Ed GOWER (Manly)
3 Tobias GUKIBAU (Gordon)
2. Luke HOLMES (vc) (Warringah)

1. Dane MARAKI (Manly)

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
Serious, Says it all, Lewis one of the best in the first 2 and not there. Backs haven't delivered but the same.

Frustrated[/quo
Apparently Lewis is carry a couple of niggling injuries and will be on the bench.Really one of the best Loose heads in the NRC and will use him if necessary.And he backs lets hope Lucas sparks them up and they can hold onto some ball this week???

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Sparks them yes, but a half doesn't have much impact in D and the defensive chatter that has been a miss in the first 2 games.

I feel it is thee backs that have let us down in attack and D

qaz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Dave Beat.. i understand you are parochial and that is great.. But jesus you are negative..

Lets look at the facts:
- Rays were overrun by Melbourne in the 1st game after leading early in the 2nd half. Reported that the Rays only had 9 available and fit backs to train with leading into this game so backline selections were probably forced. Majority of the Melbourne squad have been training together for nearly 12 months now and they have gone on to flog the Stars and Brisbane (by 60). Keep in mind that Brisbane included a number of Wallabies and S15 players in their team.

- Rays lost to the NSW country team (who are undefeated) last weekend. This team has comfortably beaten the Rams and Qld country in the first few rounds. i think they have benefited from seemingly having a bit more time with each other due to the make up of their team being bundled out of the shute shield early. They also have some experienced older heads who are having a big impact (which is different to what a lot of the teams are looking to do). In this game, again the Rays were leading early in the 2nd half and at the end of the day the 3 tries the Eagles scored directly from turnovers was the difference. 2 of these turnovers also came when the rays were chasing the game.

In summary, i think the Rays are going alright.. Their first win isnt far away and i expect them to post some good results and keep improving as the comp goes on. I know it is only a short comp and there isnt much time to ease into it, but that is the nature of the beast, particularly with this squad who have had a relatively short time with each other compared to other teams.
From what i can see, they are playing good, tough footy and have punched above their weight when you considering other results and the form line of teams they have played. Sure there may be times when the attack, turnovers or "D" has let them down, but i think that is common for all teams in this new comp. We are seeing the ball in play in play a lot more, teams are favouring attack over conservative play players are looking more fatigued and as a result the games can be a bit "looser". I know what I would prefer to watch.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave Beat.. i understand you are parochial and that is great.. But jesus you are negative..

Lets look at the facts:

Facts ? - Parochial??? - hard to be parochial when you are down on the scoreboard.

Forwards - I didn't know about Lewis's injury and explained the change to 6.
I suggested a proven combo in the back line that out performed other centre combos in the Shute this year.
I'm undecided at 10
Wings I've gone for true finishes - one of them has been Aust 2 years U20's, and equaled the seasons leading try scorer.
Fullback BJ has had form this year.

I feel i justified my reasons

@qaz i thank passionate is a more appropriate word - supporting the Rays I want to contribute my thoughts as to the best team - a team that can win.

Status
Not open for further replies.