• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v South Africa - Perth - 6 September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Good to see Tomane, Speight and Genia all back on the paddock. With TPN also likely to return for the upcoming road trip, the Wallabies could finish the RC strongly. It is imperative that we win this weekend tho. Anything less than 3 wins from our last four will be a poor result.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
1. T. Mtawarira
2. A. Strauss
3. J. du Plessis
4. E. Etzebeth
5. V. Matfield
6. F. Louw
7. M. Coetzee
8. D. Vermeulen
9. R. Pienaar
10. M. Steyn
11. B. Habana
12. J. de Villiers
13. J. Serfontein
14. C. Hendricks
15. W. le Roux

Replacements: B. du Plessis, T. Nyakane, M. van der Merwe, L. de Jager, W. Whiteley, F. Hougaard, P Lambie, D. de Allende

T

Train Without a Station

We need to take it to them physically. Strauss, Matfield, Coetzee aren't hugely physical. If Chibba, Simmo and Fardy can aim up that will go a long way.

Also I think we can target their line out if we are at our best. Matfield is exceptional but Eztebeth is the only other strong jumper. Mark up on them with Fardy and Carter and have Simmo try and read if it's going to Coetze or Vermeulen.

troxler

Sydney Middleton (9)
It looks like its going to piss down on Saturday night in Perth...hopefully the boys can get it done in the wet like last year vs the Pumas.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
We need to take it to them physically. Strauss, Matfield, Coetzee aren't hugely physical. If Chibba, Simmo and Fardy can aim up that will go a long way.

Also I think we can target their line out if we are at our best. Matfield is exceptional but Eztebeth is the only other strong jumper. Mark up on them with Fardy and Carter and have Simmo try and read if it's going to Coetze or Vermeulen.

Strauss can play tight or loose.

We could not bend the Argie line until Coetzee came on. He is not Alberts but he has been very good.

As for the lineout, Vermeluen takes a lot of ball. Sometimes more than the locks.

T

Train Without a Station

I think Strauss is best playing loose. And Coetzee is playing out of position on the blind.

These changes will let you mob player a more expansive game, and I think we need to attack the aspects that these improvements will diminish. And in this case it's the tight physical aspect that Alberts and Du Plesis are superior to these two.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It looks like its going to piss down on Saturday night in Perth.hopefully the boys can get it done in the wet like last year vs the Pumas.

With rain forecast for the match in NZ as well, it's looking like it will be Round 1 revisited (both wet games).

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Jesus fucking Christ.

Why can't we just produce consistently brilliant players, always in top form with an excessively impressive skill set for their position who also just respect their team, country and grass roots upbringing (read: aren't complete dickheads)? Is that such a big ask? The kiwis seem to have no problem doing it!

Argh, so disappointing, was hoping he might've actually learnt a thing or two but this makes it look like he's still caught up in "brand O'Connor".

Or it might be bollocks.

The Australian and French rugby press both have a long 'n proud history of writing complete fiction about contracts and signings. Everyone gets furious for a few days, about the mendacity of the player in question, then it subsides, and we forget, then it happens again.

Folau signed for more French teams this year than he scored tries.

I think that as a community of rugby fans we just like being furious, or we'd notice.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Fully expect the Wallabies' halves to finish well on top after seeing so many posts on here about how wonderful they are.;)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well BR, I really looking forward to Phipps playing from the start. He will genuinely snipe all night long. Think White has only been average (and I am being generous). Beale has not performed to expectation. Foley brings a more conservative, direct approach and that is the benefit to me.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)

Strauss is a beast in the tight, Vermeulen is a excellent jumper.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think Phipps will be the point of difference compared the our previous 2 Tests. White has been poor and Phipps adds another attacking dimension which is much needed.

Whilst I fully expect Foley to do better then Beale, especially in defence, I don't expect him to light the world on fire either.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It may have escaped some people's attention, but Dan is back in Canberra. Get him over to Perth quick smart and you can forget all the other matters!:)
Yeah it escaped some people's attention that he was no longer in France, and that he had in fact retired. Doesn't stop people from naming him in their Wallabies lineups. ;)

T

Train Without a Station

Strauss is a beast in the tight, Vermeulen is a excellent jumper.

Sigh. Is Strauss as good as Bismark (in the tight)? Define excellent? I'd imagine anybody who is a line out option at test level is excellent. How do they compare to players who are two or three inches taller, yet weigh the same such as our 4,5 and 6?

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
All we need now is for Brumbieman to give this match the kiss of death and write off the Wallabies completely, and the Wallabies are good for the win.

Wallabies by 2.

T

Train Without a Station

I think Phipps will be the point of difference compared the our previous 2 Tests. White has been poor and Phipps adds another attacking dimension which is much needed.

Whilst I fully expect Foley to do better then Beale, especially in defence, I don't expect him to light the world on fire either.

Neither. I don't think he needs to either.

Status
Not open for further replies.