• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Climate Change Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Plagiarism is a deal breaker, and this has been made very clear in the forum sticky. Aero tolerance.
Runner, isn't "fussion" what the Kiwis do off the beach, or in a tinnie, often accompanied by a rod in hand, and a stubbie of amber fluid?!

Unfortunately no. Try this it is less funny.

Fusion power is the energy generated by nuclear fusion processes. In fusion reactions, two light atomic nuclei fuse to form a heavier nucleus (in contrast with fission power). In doing so they release a comparatively large amount of energy arising from the binding energy due to the strong nuclear force which is manifested as an increase in temperature of the reactants. Fusion power is a primary area of research in plasma physics

D

daz

It is wikipedia, of course, which has then been cut and pasted into about a million other websites. Including ours now.

A source is a source Runner. No credit to the original source (regardless of the fact there is no author listed; a link to the wiki entry would be a minimum mandatory requirement) is a primary deal-breaker at GAGR.

You have made this appear as if it is your words.

I think I made it very clear in my sticky in the politics forum that the rules are the rules. I also said zero tolerance.

Have a think of how to play better on your return, please.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Well I think solar power is the future.. We need to sort out our power crisis and solar energy is best way to do it..

ValPrint, the last eight lines of that quote you used are mine, however, the rest is from 'another source'!

I have no problem with the large-scale development of solar options. I'll never be convinced of the value of wind turbines, though. I can't see why we aren't using all that energy "within", and developing a network of Geo-Thermal power generators, maybe in conjunction with 'solar farms', to run steam turbines.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
BTY, you would have come across the revelation of the BoM doctoring (a.k.a. "homogenising") their temperature readings in last week's Weekend Australian.
You (of course) realise that if they hadn't homogenised (not a term requiring scare quotes, it's very standard and legitimate practise, well known, understood and public) the data, then there would have been a GREATER INCREASE in the temperature trend? I mean, this argument is sooo idiotic, you don't even know what you're arguing against.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
It is wikipedia, of course, which has then been cut and pasted into about a million other websites. Including ours now.

A source is a source Runner. No credit to the original source (regardless of the fact there is no author listed; a link to the wiki entry would be a minimum mandatory requirement) is a primary deal-breaker at GAGR.

You have made this appear as if it is your words.

I think I made it very clear in my sticky in the politics forum that the rules are the rules. I also said zero tolerance.

Have a think of how to play better on your return, please.

An oversight. Shouldn't happen again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
What's the name of the title of this thread?

Fair call. After so many media exclamations that hot days equal global cooling, I thought a "right back at you" call was appropriate. But you are right - today's weather does not prove climate change, one way or the other.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Carbon emissions are rising the fastest they have ever done in eight years since the axing of the carbon tax.
Irrelevant. There has been no global warming – none at all – for 17 years 10 months. This is the longest continuous period without any warming in the global instrumental temperature record since the satellites first watched in 1979. It has endured for more than half the entire satellite temperature record. Yet the lengthening Pause coincides with a continuing, rapid increase in atmospheric CO2 concentration.

Ref - http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/07/03/rss-shows-no-global-warming-for-17-years-10-months/

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Irrelevant. There has been no global warming – none at all – for 17 years 10 months. This is the longest continuous period without any warming in the global instrumental temperature record since the satellites first watched in 1979. It has endured for more than half the entire satellite temperature record. Yet the lengthening Pause coincides with a continuing, rapid increase in atmospheric CO2 concentration.

Ref - http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/07/03/rss-shows-no-global-warming-for-17-years-10-months/

Looks like a wonderfully credible source you have put up there. I'm not sure of the answer and copyright is a big concern, so publishing from peer reviewed journals sourced through academic databases is hard but the internet is full of websites like this with no credibility. For the record, this practice most certainly happens on both sides of the argument.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Ruggo you can do better than that mate.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
How is this linked to axing the carbon tax?

correlation does not equal causation
Nope but it is incredibly coincidental.

Relevant. Temperature trends across the entire planet have been rising 0.11°C to 0.12°C per decade since 1997.
http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-stopped-in-1998.htm

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nope but it is incredibly coincidental.

Relevant. Temperature trends across the entire planet have been rising 0.11°C to 0.12°C per decade since 1997.
http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-stopped-in-1998.htm

Do I have it right when I extrapolate your reference to say a century of such warming would see a rise of 1.2 degrees? If so, surely that rise is certainly not in the catastrophe class.
I am still concerned about the different "warming" figures given by various sources. These differences indicate the science is not settled.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Maybe if the line was linear but you know it's not.

And we all know the science isn't 100% settled just 97%.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
For the record, this practice most certainly happens on both sides of the argument.
Which leaves the average lay person (like me) wondering who to trust. With Climategate, and now our own BoM under fire, I tend to err on the side of caution when reading pro-warming articles.
See todays Australian - Dr Stockwell has called for a full audit of ACORN-SAT homogenisation after analysing records from Deniliquin in the Riverina region of NSW where homogenisation of raw data for minimum temperatures had turned a 0.7C cooling trend into a warming trend of 1C over a century.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe if the line was linear but you know it's not.

And we all know the science isn't 100% settled just 97%.

And we all have been kept in the dark about the 97% study being seriously flawed. The authors of the study "misclassified the papers of some of the world’s most prominent global warming skeptics." (Forbes Magazine 30/5/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.