• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtics

Frank Row (1)
Archdale reps are being finalised tomorrow, what's the thoughts on teams?They're having 3 teams for the first time this year. I've seen a couple of debates during the season and Anne Wang has improved -- possible for firsts? I know we have the presets already from state debating but the seconds should be interesting...

Marcus

Bob McCowan (2)
Archdale reps are being finalised tomorrow, what's the thoughts on teams?They're having 3 teams for the first time this year. I've seen a couple of debates during the season and Anne Wang has improved -- possible for firsts? I know we have the presets already from state debating but the seconds should be interesting.

Hmm interesting, any idea why they have opted for three teams? Just to clarify, as I understand it the Reps Comp only runs with debates between firsts and seconds?

My predictions for Archdale Firsts - Sophie Large, Imogen Harper and Kaity Crowe
Seconds - Kendall Sheppard, Anne Wang, and potentially Shani Wijetlaka

Not sure about the thirds - who is strong from MLC this year?

Celtics

Frank Row (1)
To my knowledge no one from MLC even made it to the squad... Shank Wijetlaka isn't in there either. Not sure why there's three teams this year, but doesn't GPS have a third team too?

Ontheside

Allen Oxlade (6)
Have the Archdale teams been selected and if so who?
Also the GPS teams? Who has been selected?
They debate against each other next week so assume the teams are known by now.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Okay.

This is complex.

GPS 1sts have been deservingly won by Sydney Grammar - a great team.
I don't know about a few of the results, but as far a I am aware Newington are 2nd, with view/high tied at 3rd.

BUT in the 2nds, we have a 5 - maybe 6 - way tie, an outcome that is simply crazy and so ridiculously improbable. Here's an explanation:

Joeys: beat scots, lost to sydney boys, lost to shore, lost to grammar, beat view, beat kings, may have beaten new (should have on form). final record 4-3 (should be). If they lost to new then they don't count.

Grammar: beat new, lost to kings, beat scots, beat joeys, lost to view, lost to high. final record 4-3

Riverview: beat shore, beat new, lost to kings, beat sydney boys, lost to joeys, beat grammar, lost to scots. final record 4-3

High: beat kings, beat joeys, lost to new, lost to view, beat scots, lost to kings, beat grammar. final record 4-3

Shore: lost to view, beat scots, beat joeys, lost to newington, lost to grammar, beat high, beat kings. final record 4-3

Kings: lost to high, beat grammar, beat view, beat scots, beat new, lost to joeys, lost to shore. final record: 4-3.

So if joeys beat new today, it's 6 way tie, if not it's 5 way.

Also, in GPS 2nds there's only 1 adjudicator, so no way of counting back or referring to points or decisions.

What an outcome.

DRH

Bob McCowan (2)
Think you meant to say Shore instead of Kings for High round 6, but otherwise it all works out. Wow. Absolutely amazing.

Wolfey

Stan Wickham (3)
The GPS Representative teams have been announced. It's unsurprising to see all four Grammar speakers in the representative circuit. Congratulations to those who made the teams.

1sts:
  1. Sam Wolfe (Grammar)
  2. James Stratton (Grammar)
  3. Seb Rees (Newington)
  4. Henri King (Riverview)
2nds:
  1. Alex Babbidge (Grammar)
  2. James Pacino (Grammar)
  3. Tom St John (Shore)
  4. Sam Wallace (Newington)
3rds:
  1. John Seroukas (SBHS)
  2. Matthew Bojanic (Kings)
  3. Robert Lutledge (Scots)
  4. Dom Kocx (Joeys)
Interesting to see Sam Wolfe, a Year 11, in the 1sts instead of James Pacino, a seasoned Year 12. Pacino's presence should give the other 2nds teams in the competition a run for their money, though.

Wolfey

Stan Wickham (3)
Big debate about to start over at Strathfield for the Archdale Grand Final between SCEGGS and Abbotsleigh. Topic is "That we should only allow courts to imprison criminal offenders from different racial backgrounds in proportion with the demographic make-up of that society", with Abbottsleigh affirming. SCEGGS are favourites of the night. Will update results in an hour.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Big debate about to start over at Strathfield for the Archdale Grand Final between SCEGGS and Abbotsleigh. Topic is "That we should only allow courts to imprison criminal offenders from different racial backgrounds in proportion with the demographic make-up of that society", with Abbottsleigh affirming. SCEGGS are favourites of the night. Will update results in an hour.

Bless your heart Wolfey, resident expert.

Xterminator

Frank Row (1)
Hey guys,
just to let you all know, not only (I've confirmed with Grammar coaches), is Robert Loughley being moved up to 1sts ISDA next year, but I've been hearing some rumours about major shake ups within the team structure, involving a seconds Year 11 debater potentially moving up to Grammar debating captain, and one of the three (they wouldn't tell me who) thirds debaters speaking 2nd for 1sts ISDA. This would certainly be an interesting team, a wonder what people think about it? I've heard rumours its Grammar's biggest surprise, and will be a badass team. What do you think Wolfey? (You go to Grammar right?)

Status
Not open for further replies.