• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia Vs Argentina, September 13, Gold Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It seems James Slipper is to 2014 as Scott Fardy was to 2013. All he has to do is go out, scratch himself and make a tackle to be ranked in the top 3 on the ranker thing.

He was good, sure, and I love the way he plays. But he wasn't number 1, or even in the top 3.

Simmons, on the other hand, could score 5 tries, win every lineout and deliver a baby mid-match and still only come 7th.
Simmons went up a big notch as the only wallaby to be out in the crowd signing stuff after game. Kids loved him..and he looked shagged.. Smiled put up with it but looked spent. Top effort

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Rob certainly had a much improved game over recent performances. His contribution in the line out alone was worth it, but he got around the paddock well too.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I just want to all the Argentinian scrums and the Australian starters scrums were f'ing beautiful. Sure we fell away a bit when the reserves came on but a scrum doctor could write a book on the first half. Oxford could put a picture of one in their dictionary. Wikipedia could do a page. Etc etc.

T

Tip

Simmons went up a big notch as the only wallaby to be out in the crowd signing stuff after game. Kids loved him..and he looked shagged.. Smiled put up with it but looked spent. Top effort

As a TSS boy, you'd expect Simmons, as well as Higgers & Slipper to relish playing in their own back yard. Surprised that Higs didn't join but oh well.

Simmons takes a leaf out of Quades book and tries to win the crowd over by... hangin in the crowd

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Hmm. No.
Giteau was a great player. He wasn't a great flyhalf. I can still remember his performance against the Boks in 2006 (49-0). As a playmaker in the 12 jersey between Larkham and Mortlock he was a success. The post I quoted before suggested that we hadn't had any successes with a play maker at 12 this century. I disagree with that. And I think To'omua is fine, but a touch too conservative. I don't think KB (Kurtley Beale) is the answer there. I also don't think a crashballer like a Kuridrani is the answer either.

He was a great Super rugby player. He remains a great French club rugby player. He was not a great player at test level. That he had the occasional memorable performance - well, he did play 92 tests. He had plenty of chances.

Inside centre is a key position on the field and it's wholly disregarded when you try to squeeze in a non-adaptable fly half convert. No, the New Zealand examples are not analagous because we don't have their personnel. If we had Crotty or Carter or Mauger to play 12, I would play them at 12. We have Matt To'omua and Christian Lealifano, neither of wom cut it. To'omua isn't "too conservative", he just doesn't hit the gap/line with enough energy. It doesn't look fixable to me.

As for his contribution as a second playmaker, the backline is currently running (beyond the phipps-foley combo) with all the smoothness of a 93 Daewoo, so I don't know what we'd be foregoing there, either.

Kuridrani is probably too tall to get up to speed quickly enough but Kerevi mightn't be.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I was sure that Simmons did his shoulder when he charged up out of the line then desperately dived at the guy's ankles, looked like he struggled for a few minutes afterwards.

Massive props to Simmons if he stayed out with the fans afterwards, you can't underestimate the value of that for fans.

T

Train Without a Station

That's it. I'm done with Palu. Too damn injury prone. His past injuries are now making current ones a greater risk.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It seems James Slipper is to 2014 as Scott Fardy was to 2013. All he has to do is go out, scratch himself and make a tackle to be ranked in the top 3 on the ranker thing.

He was good, sure, and I love the way he plays. But he wasn't number 1, or even in the top 3.

Simmons, on the other hand, could score 5 tries, win every lineout and deliver a baby mid-match and still only come 7th.

I do agree that at times certain players do get a free ride in the player ratings. Fardy defintely last year and as you have identified, Slipper this year.

But I think the only thing that might have held him back from a top 3 place this week was he only played 55min. His time on the field was brilliant. He seemed to make about 10 runs plus his efforts at scrum time were more than even the most optimistic supporter could have hoped for.

If he and Taf hadnt gone off early, you could have justified giving them and Kepu 3-2-1 based on the scrum performance alone.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That's it. I'm done with Palu. Too damn injury prone. His past injuries are now making current ones a greater risk.

Its a shame really - because the 4-5-6 axis actually brought it for the first time this TRC, McCalman got to do his job. Palu didn't get to do his because against the Boks and ABs our second row were so shit.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I'm still on board with the 2014 edition of Cliffy, but your point about his injuries is well made. A shame, because he's had a great season and fully earned his spot. It might be a good time to experiment with Luke Jones in that spot. I've banged on about his potential there and it would be worth trying him I think. Big Ben is the right guy for now though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hard to pick him in a RWC squad given the injuries?

If Palu is healthy heading into the cup I think he'll definitely be picked. You'd be picking adequate backrow cover anyway.

The problem is always when we're selecting players who aren't going to be fit at the start of the tournament. Whilst it's likely we'll try and do this with one or two people, it's very risky.

T

Train Without a Station

If available he will be in the squad. It's hard to develop your team around a player as a first choice, who is playing something like 50% or less of tests though.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
it's concussion this time so not an 'injury' per se..seems they are making the decision to rest him for the trip in his own best interest but you would think he'll be there at Suncorp..

T

Train Without a Station

It's an injury. He is not fit to play.

Yes he will likely have recovered for Suncorp, but that will have him playing 5 out of a possible 9 matches prior to that. On top of that he missed a large chunk of 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.