• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia Vs Argentina, September 13, Gold Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

The Sydney Stars must have exhumed his corpse and thrown the number 13 on it then Slim.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Agreed, but I would add "and Cooper"

Beale is running up higher turnover tallies in single games than Cooper did on the entire NH tour. Obviously taking into account that Beale played the ABs but even then, Cooper turned over the ball once in his last start against them to Beale's 3+.

Cooper was leading tackle efficiency for all 10s in Super Rugby until he was injured. His upside is also infinitely higher than Beale's when they put on the 10 jersey.

Overall Quade has become a safer option as time has progressed and has improved on defense (although he still tackles too high 1/3 of the time) while somehow Beale has regressed defensively since the days when he used to have a bit of a mortgage on the 15 jersey.

Neither are great defenders, but Beale has gone from being okay to just shockingly bad in the past 2 years. JOC (James O'Connor) seemed to have regressed too in the same time period, although his issues had more to do with reading play on defense and not with his actual tackling as much.

They really should just lock Mogg, Beale and JJ Taulagi in a padded room and just have them hit each other over and over until at least one of them learns how to go into contact without looking like some kind of scared bird. Australian rugby would be better for it.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Not trying to promote a relative, but Sam Carter was the only player to walk to the edge of the field on the eastern side, straight after the match and stayed there, signing merchandise, and posing with adults and kids, and trying on one of the 'gold top-hats', until going to the northern end, climbing the fence, signing more items and posing for more "selfies", plus having time to chat to Mr and Mrs Doug, before getting back to the presentation, just as it started!

Have you got any information on Sam?
  • Is he fully fit? (how's his ankle?)
  • Is he happy with how he is playing?
  • What specific role does link have him playing?
  • Does he wear lucky red underpants for his test matches?
  • Did you give him any to start wearing?
  • Who's his strongest opponent in the NRC?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Larkham and Horan were both in the starting XV last time we lost to Argentina.

Yeh but the difference is every single game in that era I had a good feeling we would beat the opposition. Even against the AB's I liked our chances.

With the current wallabies the fear of losing to anyone is much higher. Teams like Scotland, Argentina, Wales now worry me when they didn't in the past.

Maybe its just me but I don't feel like lowering my expectation to meet the current standard.

We beat Argentina last year 5/10/13 – Australia 54 – Argentina 17. We should have been more convincing last weekend, end of story. I will continue to criticize until they put up convincing results.

Also, beating the Boks last week was very positive in my books but what frustrates me is I feel we went backwards instead of improving from that win.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the current standard is pretty similar to our standard for much of the time rugby has been professional.

The one major difference now is that the All Blacks rarely lose to anyone.

I don't think the Wallabies are comparatively any worse right now than we normally have been, it's just that the All Blacks are stronger and more consistent than they've previously been.

We might go and demolish Argentina in the away game in a few weeks time. It doesn't really change anything in terms of how this team is travelling. Competing with South Africa in South Africa is the next major hurdle. We haven't beaten them in South Africa since 2011.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think the current standard is pretty similar to our standard for much of the time rugby has been professional.

The one major difference now is that the All Blacks rarely lose to anyone.

I don't think the Wallabies are comparatively any worse right now than we normally have been, it's just that the All Blacks are stronger and more consistent than they've previously been.

We might go and demolish Argentina in the away game in a few weeks time. It doesn't really change anything in terms of how this team is travelling. Competing with South Africa in South Africa is the next major hurdle. We haven't beaten them in South Africa since 2011.

I disagree. I think in the past we played a lot smarter. Our decision making was usually very good.

I think these days we have players who are more skilled, faster, make more breaks etc. but they just aren't using their heads as much. An example of this is the numerous times the final pass is butchered. So many times I see great skill followed by a extremely poor decision.

I remember our back-line being so fluent and threatening, our set-plays being sleek, deceiving and skillful. Seems to me like we just have one out runners now. Most tries are grinded out by pressure (which is good too) rather then by smart back-line moves or deceiving play.

We are far more predictable these days.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I disagree. I think in the past we played a lot smarter. Our decision making was usually very good.

I think these days we have players who are more skilled, faster, make more breaks etc. but they just aren't using their heads as much. An example of this is the numerous times the final pass is butchered. So many times I see great skill followed by a extremely poor decision.

I remember our back-line being so fluent and threatening, our set-plays being sleek, deceiving and skillful. Seems to me like we just have one out runners now. Most tries are grinded out by pressure (which is good too) rather then by smart back-line moves or deceiving play.

We are far more predictable these days.

Defences are enormously better these days, and the game is much more physically demanding. There's less time and space now than there was two years ago, let alone fifteen or twenty. Australian teams might have made better decisions in the past, but it was a much easier game in a lot of ways.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'm as one-eyed a Cantab as you'll ever find but even when we had zero in the AB & the Aucks had 12 or 13 incl Bernie fucking McCahill FFS theres no fucking way I ever bet against them let alone sitting there going "please get injured player x" it's un fucking natural I tells ya. Your team is your team regardless of who is or isn't in it, even if it's Kit Fawcett or Colin Farrell.

Cmon OldBoy....you Cantabrians remember Mark carter don't ya? ;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Beale is running up higher turnover tallies in single games than Cooper did on the entire NH tour. Obviously taking into account that Beale played the ABs but even then, Cooper turned over the ball once in his last start against them to Beale's 3+.

They both want to grab someone until someone else helps or rip the ball to do some big play.

Neither bend their backs and put their bodies on the line, I would prefer units that do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.