• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks vs Wallabies @ Newlands 27/9/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Hugh Roach would tour before anyone else in the NRC. He's been fucking good - probably best lineout thrower I've seen. Around the park he's into everything and with Alcock and Perrett, is like three open sides

You have a point there but for some reason Cheika was reluctant to utilize him off the bench when TPN was injured during Super Rugby. They basically played Latu through for 78 minutes or so. He's fantastic around the park and great in the lineouts so the only reason I can think for this is that he seriously weakens a scrum which Cheika wasn't willing to risk. In saying that the Rams scrum certainly had no problems on the weekend.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Well, I still would. :D

But I might get bored so I shall post a map or two.

The one on the left is a modified Bonne Projection, which is still pretty boring. But the one on the right is from the mother of all modern maps. Only one copy from the original print run survives and it's worth more than 10 million duck's beaks; probably the most valuable in the World.

It's surprisingly accurate for something from half a millenium ago - and it's famous for one thing!

78Yk8yY.jpg

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I reckon we're gonna get pumped. If we can stay within 20 I'd reckon that'll be a win of sorts.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)

We're 5 from 23 in South Africa since the end of apartheid. It is marginally better than our perforances in NZ across the same period.

We've been done by 20 or more on 4 occasions. Every season we're confident of turning around but for the most part, it all goes to shit pretty early in the game. Given that this wallaby side almost fucked it up against SA in Perth and against Argentina, I am not optimistic.

Better sides than this one have gone there and been tought a lesson.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We're 5 from 23 in South Africa since the end of apartheid. It is marginally better than our perforances in NZ across the same period.

We've been done by 20 or more on 4 occasions. Every season we're confident of turning around but for the most part, it all goes to shit pretty early in the game. Given that this wallaby side almost fucked it up against SA in Perth and against Argentina, I am not optimistic.

Better sides than this one have gone there and been tought a lesson.

The fact that it is hard to win in South Africa and there's no reason to expect our current chances to be better than normal is not really an indication that a loss by 20 points will be a win of sorts.

As your statistics show, losing by 20 or more would be one of our worst losses in South Africa in over 20 years.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
The fact that it is hard to win in South Africa and there's no reason to expect our current chances to be better than normal is not really an indication that a loss by 20 points will be a win of sorts.

As your statistics show, losing by 20 or more would be one of our worst losses in South Africa in over 20 years.

Yes, but I've been watching this closely since we started doing it and my gut feeling is that this could be a 61-22, 53-8 type arrangement.

It's just my opinion.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My prediction for the 28 man touring squad:

Prop: Slipper, Kepu, Alexander, Cowan, Robinson
Hooker: Hanson, Fainga'a, Mann-Rae
Locks: Simmons, Carter, Horwill
Backrow: Hooper, Hodgson, McCalman, Fardy, Higginbotham, Schatz
Halfback: Phipps, White, Genia
Fly Half: Foley, Beale
Centres: To'omua, Kuridrani
Wing: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Tomane
Fullback: Folau

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
If Meyer plays JP at 13 something in my head might pop.

Maybe he will play JP at 9?
You never know.
Vat dit rustig OuBoet.

I am hoping the successfull Pollard selection by Meyer will enable him to try more youngsters iso old age home chicken runner selections. I have been impressed this weekend by some of the youngsters in the CC, the Lions young 10 showed some nice touches and their nr 2 (nice name of Akker) has been outstanding just to mention a few. I know you are very disappointing and share the frustration. Just hope the Bokke nail the home tests.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yes, but I've been watching this closely since we started doing it and my gut feeling is that this could be a 61-22, 53-8 type arrangement.

It's just my opinion.

nothing wrong with having an opinion..but when you are the #3 ranked team taking on the #2 ranked team and looking to turn that around, whether you are a player or a supporter you'd go into the game viewing nothing less than a winning margin as a victory..

by your standards I think we will give them a towelling..i.e. I think it will be a close game. Historically we do find it hard to win in South Africa, but a degree of that difficulty can be attributed to altitude where applicable. Looking at more recent history, when we beat them in Perth three weeks ago, that broke a 3 game losing streak v the Boks, however that streak was on the back of a 5 match winning streak by us v the Boks.

Add to that we are a much improved team than we were 12 months ago..whether or not you agree with the final score, you can't dispute that that the Perth game was a LOT closer than Brisbane last year (26 point loss). Given that the Capetown match last year was a 20 point loss I would expect a much closer result..it may come down to a bit of good fortune as is often the case, but I'm confident the boys can pull it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.