• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks vs Wallabies @ Newlands 27/9/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
nothing wrong with having an opinion..but when you are the #3 ranked team taking on the #2 ranked team and looking to turn that around, whether you are a player or a supporter you'd go into the game viewing nothing less than a winning margin as a victory..

by your standards I think we will give them a towelling..i.e. I think it will be a close game. Historically we do find it hard to win in South Africa, but a degree of that difficulty can be attributed to altitude where applicable. Looking at more recent history, when we beat them in Perth three weeks ago, that broke a 3 game losing streak v the Boks, however that streak was on the back of a 5 match winning streak by us v the Boks.

Add to that we are a much improved team than we were 12 months ago..whether or not you agree with the final score, you can't dispute that that the Perth game was a LOT closer than Brisbane last year (26 point loss). Given that the Capetown match last year was a 20 point loss I would expect a much closer result..it may come down to a bit of good fortune as is often the case, but I'm confident the boys can pull it off.

We haven't won at Newlands since before half the team was born. I don't really give a shit about how much better our performance in Australia was than last year's, the pro era is littered with examples of us dealing with them with no trouble in Aus then losing over there.

My remark about considering a 20 point loss a victory was flippant, but if you are "confident the boys can pull it off", I hope for your sake you aren't a betting man.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they win.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
the 20 point loss last year was the biggest at Newlands in the pro era..the other losses were by 12, 9, 4, 3 & 1..so historically they are close games..

I actually am a betting man and I will be having a wager accordingly..also happy to bet with you and take your 19.5 point start :D

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
12 and 9 not are not "close" in test rugby. If you needed to score more than a converted try you weren't "close". This isnt the S15. I'll take a 1 week flounce bet on the match straight up. No start.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
flounce means disappear for a week, yes?

I agree re closeness by the way, 6.5 points or less..

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Not ruining anyone's fun butttt....
Rule 2 of the GAGR rule list
2. Everyone with 50 posts needs an avatar, or a terribly amusing one will be supplied by the moderators.
Someone might beat KOB to the punch.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
OK I'll agree to that Lorenzo..I was going to ask for someone to adjudicate a fair start as zero start wasn't really representative of your statement which started this whole thing..similarly, you having to concede 20 wasn't representative of mine..

6.5 start it is, happy to discuss the losing 'prize'..

T

Train Without a Station

Only 8.5? Talk about those suckers hey Lorenzo? We'll get done by 20!

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
If we are serious about development, then they have to look to the NRC not a guy who is 34 and has started less than a handful of Super games. Take a young bloke who has started less than a handful!

Agree 100% - I hope that's what happens but I think they will stick with Mann-Rea. As someone said in a later post, Roach would probably be the best option of what's left.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I know this hasn't got anything to do with the Wallabies, but very good form from Maa Nonu.

"Rugby Union is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen."
10635905_935907596423087_7963715063698677288_n.png

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My prediction for the 28 man touring squad:

Prop: Slipper, Kepu, Alexander, Cowan, Robinson
Hooker: Hanson, Fainga'a, Mann-Rea
Locks: Simmons, Carter, Horwill
Backrow: Hooper, Hodgson, McCalman, Fardy, Higginbotham, Schatz
Halfback: Phipps, White, Genia
Fly Half: Foley, Beale
Centres: To'omua, Kuridrani
Wing: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Tomane
Fullback: Folau

This is the squad except Leali'ifano is in instead of Schatz.

T

Train Without a Station

Cue the outrage from the Sandgropers that Godwin isn't in.

Status
Not open for further replies.