• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You just can't beat a 100 kilo sidestepping bassoon player can you?

Particularly if he has the bassoon in his hands at the time.:)

MI0003696841.jpg

B

Bobby Sands

To explain how crazy it is getting my cousin is 12 years old and was scouted after being the best players at an U11 rugby league tournament in the outer suburbs of Brisbane. One of the more prominent GPS schools has offered him a full scholarship, and was hoping he would come over straight away into year 7. He declined and said he would like to come in year 8.

I am very excited for him, and he is a good kid - but the pressure to perform and develop at that age is ridiculous. That is well over 100k investment that school as made in him all because he had a good tournament on I presume a dust-bowl in the south of Brisbane.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
To explain how crazy it is getting my cousin is 12 years old and was scouted after being the best players at an U11 rugby league tournament in the outer suburbs of Brisbane. One of the more prominent GPS schools has offered him a full scholarship, and was hoping he would come over straight away into year 7. He declined and said he would like to come in year 8.

I am very excited for him, and he is a good kid - but the pressure to perform and develop at that age is ridiculous. That is well over 100k investment that school as made in him all because he had a good tournament on I presume a dust-bowl in the south of Brisbane.
Crazy is certainly one way to describe it.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

The pressure is also on the scout - picking an 11-y-o league player as someone who will help them win a premiership in several years' time is an impressive ask.
I was at TSS for a couple of days recently and was interested to see the large number of company advertising signs around the grounds. Corporate sponsorship seems to be the norm.

B

Bobby Sands

TSS is barely a school.. Its a factory of sporting players.. A few years ago it was the worst performing school in QLD education-wise, despite being the most expensive.

Not to mention Danish rowing world-champions, Indian spin-bowlers who only stay for a semester, etc.

B

Bobby Sands

TSS has an abominable academic repuation.. When I went through in 2005, we had about 30 OP1s at my school, and TSS didn't get one. Not one. Friends of mine that went to TSS in that year, said that they felt that they lost 3 or so overall points (the difference between a 3 and a 6) due to being part of the cohort. That is an enormous difference.

Let me see if I can find the report where TSS was at the very bottom of QLD education at-least for that year for you.

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)

You are correct. Last year TSS and Nudgee both got around2 OP1s.
BGS got over 50'and GT ,ACGS and BBC all got between 25 and 35 .
But why criticise those schools . Parents know this- they have a choice. Nudgee for instance have a farm , cattle and a golf course on campus. TSS is the most expensive school in Qld and has more current Wallabies ( slipper, Simmons etc etc)than any other school and a magnificent canal for rowing right next to the school.
Each school have their own attractions .

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You kind of signed your own death warrant: let's say that a pro footballer has a working life in this country of 10 years.
In 10 years a single school will produce 150 players who played in the 1st XV.
3 of them or maybe its 7 or 8 have jobs.
How is that justifiable? If there are parents who think it is they need to be protected from themselves.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You kind of signed your own death warrant: let's say that a pro footballer has a working life in this country of 10 years.
In 10 years a single school will produce 150 players who played in the 1st XV.
3 of them or maybe its 7 or 8 have jobs.
How is that justifiable? If there are parents who think it is they need to be protected from themselves.

But they all think their own little Johnny will be one of the 3/7/8 or whatever, and the lads get to rub shoulders with ex Wallabies at reunions. Sad but true.

I'm not quite sure what an OP1 is, but only having 2 students get one when compartive schools with a similar demographic get 25-35 and up to 50 doesn't sound that great.

PS Dr Lambert is an old boy of TSS - this may be his vision for Scots. (I'm not sure where he'll fit the rowing canal at Bellevue Hill without arousing the ire of the Scots Concerned Neighbours Group):)

Status
Not open for further replies.