• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There's a bit of discussion elsewhere that the Reds might be looking to sign Ita Vaea. What's Ita's contract status with the Brumbies. Would be odd for him to have had a place kept for him during two years out of the game only to see him be released when he starts to return to fitness.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Pretty certain I read somewhere that he was released earlier this year. This article says he is no longer contracted:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/former-act-brumbies-forward-ita-vaea-eyes-rugby-comeback-20140613-zs730.html

And in other news the Brumbies have posted this on Facebook "A good news story will be coming out of the UC Brumbies and UC Vikings tomorrow around lunch time. Keep your eyes and ears out for more information!". I'm guessing it might be another signing, maybe Tim Cree this time? And if they do sign up Cree, then that probably reduces the chances of Vaea being re-signed.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think tomorrows announcement will be a signing, hopefully a local boy in either Tim Cree or Rodney Iona. Would be a great follow up after the signing of Les Makin.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
To be honest from the NRC I have seen I think Cree has played better than Smiler.

I hope it isn't a case of "If they were going to sign him they would have done it by now".

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies are after another lock, and while Cree does play there in the NRC I wouldn't consider him a lock for Super Rugby............ still, I think the Brumbies should sign him up before he gets pinched by somebody else, and I think he has the ability to leapfrog a couple of other back rowers on our roster..........

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm guessing the spot vacated by Mowen is still open.

According to wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2014–15_Super_Rugby_transfers#Brumbies ) these are the signings confirmed so far for next year (though the list is definitely missing a few recent signings)

Prop
Ala'alatoa
Alexander
Sio
Makin

Hooker
Moore
Siliva

Lock
Arnold
Carter
Fardy
Staniforth

Flanker
Auelua
Pocock
Doyle

No 8
Butler

Scrumhalf
Dowsett
White

Flyhalf
To'omua

Centre
Ah Wong
Kuridrani
Lealiifano

Wing
Speight
Tomane

Fullback
Coleman
Mogg

You can definitely add Mann-Rea and Iona to that list, and I'm pretty sure the Smith brothers and Smiler have also re-signed. Not sure whether Tatekawa is still around either.

So maybe space for another one or two, perhaps an outside back (Dargaville?) and a backrower (Cree?).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tatekawa is gone.........

And I guess the other question is whether or not a spot has opened up if Vaea doesn't re-sign?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
This is updated from a few pages ago.

Nigel Ah Wong - 2016
Allan Ala'alatoa - 2016
Ben Alexander - 2015
Rory Arnold - ?
Fotu Auelua - 2015
Jarrad Butler - 2016
Sam Carter - 2015
Robbie Coleman - 2015
Michael Dowsett - 2016
Sean Doyle - 2016
Scott Fardy - 2015
Rodney Iona - 2015
Tevita Kuridrani - 2015
Christian Lealiifano - 2016
Les Makin - 2015
Josh Mann-Rea ?
Jesse Mogg - 2015
Stephen Moore - 2015
David Pocock - 2015
Siliva Siliva ?
Scott Sio - 2016
Jordan Smiler ?
JP Smith ?
Ruan Smith ?
Henry Speight - 2016
Tom Staniforth - 2016
Joe Tomane - 2016
Matt To'omua - 2017
Nic White - 2016

Of the above 29 players there are 18 forwards and 11 backs and I remember Larkham saying they were aiming for a squad of 32 with 2 of those as EPS spots. I would think the remaining signings will be backs.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
As far as backs go, flyhalf is probably well enough covered between To'omua, Lilo & Iona, otherwise Windsor might have been worth a look. Definitely look light on for wingers and someone to cover 12-13 would probably be handy.

I'm assuming the Brumbies can't afford a big name marquee player, so who's worth picking from the NRC?

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
And I assume one of the EPS spots would be for another scrumhalf?

Apparently they are not signing a 3rd scrum half. I'd assume that Joe Powell the Australian u20s scrummie will do quite a bit of training with them as the '3rd choice'.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
http://www.brumbies.com.au/ucvikings/team/vikingsprofile.aspx?pid=1317

vikings just signed this bloke, could be the winger you guys are after. he's not short on size either he is over 100 kgs.

Looks promising, though the local wingers being used from the JID have been going quite good. Others in the mix at wing should include Dargarville, Clunies-Ross and McKenzie.

On his performances in the NRC, I'd like to see Windsor get a crack at Super level. If the Brumbies don't pick him up, hopefully one of the other provinces will.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Read somewhere Makin is only on an EPS too. So am I right in assuming the new EPS model is funded by the clubs and not the ARU?

Status
Not open for further replies.