• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks vs Wallabies @ Newlands 27/9/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
No, but it potentially means that McKenzie underestimated Robinson's conditioning and form a little when he previously overlooked him.

It definitely suggests that the lack of top line options at hooker has resulted in him recalling our most experienced prop. Maybe if Moore and TPN were both available McKenzie would have called up a new LHP such as Toby Smith or someone.

Play Fat Cat at 2 I say.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Strap yourselves in for a Pfitzy one-liner special:

and possibly suggests he will be in the 23..

Cowan at reserve hooker?

Lilo is secretly training to become our starting Hooker.

If he throws like he kicks, we are fucked

Pretty sure I picked it after the Reds game in fact.

Right before he was an instrumental part in winning us a semi final and final, in fact.

I won't bore everybody

Oops, too late!

And for Sully's benefit: Simmons is a limp wristed girly man!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I do like Cheik's

His comment on Skelton and his "fitness"

“At the end of the day he has been in their camp for the last three weeks, eating their food and they’ve been training him. He doesn’t get unfit by himself,” Cheika said.

“If training camps aren’t for training then what are they for. I am not sure.”

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I do like Cheik's

but it is up to the player, to limit what he sticks in his gob. Top athletes generally have a fairly disciplined regime not only with training but all the other things that go with the "professionalism"

T

Train Without a Station

I do like Cheik's

Aren't most squad camps just buffet food? Pretty sure they aren't designing individually tailored macro-balanced meals.

I'm sure the guy is having a crack too. He has come along way in 2 years as a professional, but unless you've never played rugby, you'd know that in any training environment, you need to give your best to get your best. One could easily drop to the back of the pack in group of 28 and just blend in. I've see plenty of lazy fuckers do it.

But most importantly, I doubt any players are increasing their fitness in Wallaby camp. In any seasonal team sport after building your fitness in pre-season, despite building match fitness, you're fitness levels can drop off because you don't get the opportunity to work on this between regular games. You have test matches at least fortnightly, you're at the end of a season you've been training for - since potentially January. It's not an exact science but I'd wager their just trying to manage workloads, injuries and keep players where they are.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Aren't most squad camps just buffet food? Pretty sure they aren't designing individually tailored macro-balanced meals.

I'm sure the guy is having a crack too. He has come along way in 2 years as a professional, but unless you've never played rugby, you'd know that in any training environment, you need to give your best to get your best. One could easily drop to the back of the pack in group of 28 and just blend in. I've see plenty of lazy fuckers do it.

But most importantly, I doubt any players are increasing their fitness in Wallaby camp. In any seasonal team sport after building your fitness in pre-season, despite building match fitness, you're fitness levels can drop off because you don't get the opportunity to work on this between regular games. You have test matches at least fortnightly, you're at the end of a season you've been training for - since potentially January. It's not an exact science but I'd wager their just trying to manage workloads, injuries and keep players where they are.

Training and diet is now individualised, players not in the match day squad do extras on the fitness side and everything is monitored including water intake and food, most teams require food/sleep diaries to be kept.

Is is all the Wob's fault? No
Is it all Skelton's fault? No

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Blade Thomson is a backrower..

Or lock. He represented his country at under 20s as a lock, and I think you will find that he played lock last night.

He is listed as 107 kgs, which is a bit on the small size for a lock these days. But I would have him in our system in a flash.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You have test matches at least fortnightly, you're at the end of a season you've been training for - since potentially January. It's not an exact science but I'd wager their just trying to manage workloads, injuries and keep players where they are.

This can't still be an issue - I was given a book written by the broncos then trainer many many moons ago which detailed how he had changed the lack of fitness work done in the season for the very reason you cite. Admittedly he was moving from a situation in which no weights were done during season to doing them in season and my understanding is that now they do even heavy weights in season.
I guess its tougher for s15 because of the travelling - although that's less now than before the last expansion - but surely Union is not 30 years behind the times on this issue?

T

Train Without a Station

I doubt lifting weights is Will's issue. It's the vomit inducing condition sessions that take 3 days to recover from that he needs.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
They would run, lift and do it all in-season. They would just have a different weekly program for the 15,23 and squaddies based on how much game time they had the previous weel

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Or lock. He represented his country at under 20s as a lock, and I think you will find that he played lock last night.

He is listed as 107 kgs, which is a bit on the small size for a lock these days. But I would have him in our system in a flash.

He struggles to make the starting XV for the second worst NZ Super Rugby side. o_O

I think Thompson looks alright at ITM Cup level but he's certainly nothing special.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Training and diet is now individualised, players not in the match day squad do extras on the fitness side and everything is monitored including water intake and food, most teams require food/sleep diaries to be kept.

Is is all the Wob's fault? No
Is it all Skelton's fault? No

Must be Chuck Norris's fault if not the other 2

Status
Not open for further replies.