• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Don't blame KBomb. Just particularly galling to see a good West Aussie boy lost to Aus rugby.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah playing for England is a great honour and it would be a fantastic achievement for him to make it. But seriously, that's some tenuous link when he vaguely recalls his mum mentioning something about her own mum. Screams mercenary.

B

Bobby Sands

Is being a mercenary such a dirty word in the professional sporting landscape?

Kieren is clearly, looking to open as many doors as possible to further his career and support his family. Remember that is career earnings potential will be about half of an ordinary player who has gone through the "system".

I don't know alot about the depth of props in England, but I would have to assume that is deeper than it is here in Aus. Therefore his chances of earning match payments would have to be higher here. Saying all this, it is not a bad bargaining chip for him if he were to look to come back at some stage that the English national side are interested in his services.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Not knocking the guy's reasons, I'm sure he has great justification.

It's just difficult for me to see an Aussie bloke through and through go play for an english team. Pull on the white shirt that previously he had no passion, pride or respect for. Then he lines up with his team, facing Australia at the RWC and has to sing God save the Queen, which he only learnt the words for the night before. He's quite clearly the odd one out as he belts out his new adopted national anthem with a distinctive Aussie twang and he has to resist the urge to sing with the Aussie's when it's their turn.

That's what is troubling.

B

Bobby Sands

I hear, and completely understand what you're saying.

But, I am just not sure how much it comes into it anymore.

It would be a different story, if Australia and England were to get into a tug of war, I'm sure he would choose Oz.

Think of all the Kiwis who come to Aus, like Mike Harris, and Toby at the Rebels. They wouldn't want to play for Australia if they had the choice of a Black jersey, but it is better for them to do so then to stay purely patriotic.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Not to mention Kieran's earning after having worn the horrible white jersey.

Being an English international capped prop probably adds 30-50% to his salary on the next contract negotiations.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
excellent news.

Was it known that that young Saffa flyhalf/fullback Dillan Leyds (or whatever) was leaving? I assume he is going back to SAF? Unfortunate as he looks a real talent.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
This is good. I would have been extremely pissed if they had signed Monterro over Lacey.

All three of those youngsters are talents, that most aussie clubs would love to have in their systems. However I am still somewhat upset that they kept Robbie Abel and didn't give Scoble a deal...I am in love with what that kid does on the field

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
excellent news.

Was it known that that young Saffa flyhalf/fullback Dillan Leyds (or whatever) was leaving? I assume he is going back to SAF? Unfortunate as he looks a real talent.

Is is this a 100% though?

He was meant to be gone by now and playing in the currie cup, yet he has been playing NRC games.

At the end of the day though i would probably keep burton, holmes and ebersohn over him.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's a shame, he's looked handy. Maybe that explains why Holmes has been selected ahead of Leynds at 10 for the last few weeks.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Wilhelm Steenkamp from the Force
Sport24
Ex-Bull on life in Australia

Cape Town - The MyPlayers website spoke to former Blue Bulls lock Wilhelm Steenkamp, who's currently based in Perth with the Western Force.

Why the move to the Force?

After eight years at the Blue Bulls, it was time for a change. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to continue playing Super Rugby at the Force.

Was it easy for you to settle in Perth?

With regards to the team environment, the Force players and management have been very welcoming. In general, Perth is a lot like South Africa, with the weather being the same, and you drive on the same side of the road. I have my wife with me and a little one on the way, who is due in April. My wife has also adapted very well, which makes life a lot easier for me.

Any culture shocks you’ve come across?

The Australian accents and lingo were tough to get used to in the beginning. Especially with a guy like Nick Cummins in your team as he speaks his own language! Every training session was… erm… interesting!

The Force seem to have a strong South African flavour…

There are eight in the team and we get along very well. It's nice to speak your own language every now and then. Sometimes we have a proper South African braai with the boys. I’m not surprised by the amount of South Africans plying their trade in Australia. Rugby is an international sport, and with all the talent in South Africa, some players get better playing in other countries.

How many South Africans have you bumped into?

Many! They like to come to the game and introduce themselves after the final whistle. It's interesting to hear their stories about why they moved to Australia and how long they have been staying here and adapted.

What are the kind of things you do during your free time?

It's nice spending time with friends. I get enough "vetkoek and mince" and "boerewors rolls" at Cape to Cairo (the South African retail shop in Perth) on Saturdays. I also go to a nearby farm to do some sheep farming, which reminds me of home.

How long do you plan on spending in Perth?

I am signed with the Force for three years. We will see what happens after that, you never know what the future holds. I’d rule out a return to South Africa, but it’s nice to experience different countries and how they play the game. The people I have met on my journey will definitely be lifelong friends.

What do you make of your brother's (De Kock Steenkamp) move to Ospreys?

I am really happy that he gets the opportunity to play overseas. I am also really glad that he has his fiancé over there with him as we Steenkamp boys are not very good in the kitchen! He’s enjoying it so far. He’s lucky there are a few Saffas to help him get around.

What would you like to get into during life after rugby?

I was born a sheep farmer! So after rugby, you will definitely find me in the Karoo where I grew up farming sheep.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nemani is good, Nikoro is just a waste of talent. I wonder if they went after Tamanivalu before the Chiefs got him.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bit of both, he promised a lot from schoolboys and never delivered, in and out of teams. He kicks 60m penalties however.

Status
Not open for further replies.