• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Healthy crowd at Ballymore, too bad about the scoreline for Brisbane City:
Bw0yv8PCIAEK0DC.jpg:large

T

TOCC

TOCC - would you mind if I used this image in my match review post until Sully's/Scoey's images are available? I would give you credit of course . LMK

Sorry it's not mine, I thought i linked it to the twitter account but obviously didn't.. Il do it when I get home.

sokorny

Frank Row (1)
You are probably better off comparing the crowd figures to the first season of the A-League. This comp was in a similar situation to the NRC. That is, few national players in the A-League, a healthy national team competition, and international leagues (of higher quality), a new start for the sport with a national league (with all new teams, bar Perth Glory).

The lowest crowd in the A-League's first season (outside of NZ which only averaged 4,000) was just over 5,000 in Perth (who averaged just under 10,000 for the season). In 9 years the A-League have only managed to increase the average attendance (across all games for the season) by 2,000.

I think NRC needs to concentrate on building their base, and hopefully increasing their fan base as time goes on. I would imagine in 3 years they would be hopeful for average crowds approaching the 10,000 mark (although may only be achievable for the bigger teams). Also they have started the comp just as the NRL and AFL are reaching their final series (the A-League learned from last season to wait until after this period to begin their season).

A-League crowd statistics: http://ultimatealeague.com/records.php?type=att&season=2005-06

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The difference is that the A-League is the highest level of competition played in Australia (other than a handful of internationals), while we have super rugby. People perceive the NRC as a development competition for super rugby rather than a national championship in its own right.

There was also a lot more money pumped into the A-League. It had a much bigger profile from the beginning than the NRC has currently.

I think the NRC will take a few years to develop a bigger profile and fan base.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I still think it is a better comparison than using the NRL or AFL (which many have in this discussion).

I agree that ultimately the NRC should be looking to achieve the same kind of numbers as the A League. At least in terms of averages for crowds and ratings.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I agree that ultimately the NRC should be looking to achieve the same kind of numbers as the A League. At least in terms of averages for crowds and ratings.

If the NRC begins to match the A-League on those fronts the I think we would need to begin to give our partnership in SANZAR a serious rethink. I mean I'm a big Super Rugby fan and my team finally won a title this season but an opportunity to have our own domestic set up with that popularity would be hard to pass up.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't think there really is a comparable comp to the NRC.

We won't get to A-League crowd levels, but we should be aiming for crowds between 5 and 10k. That might take five years, though.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I don't think there really is a comparable comp to the NRC.

We won't get to A-League crowd levels, but we should be aiming for crowds between 5 and 10k. That might take five years, though.

I'd be hoping for closer to the 10,000 and 5 years seems reasonable. But I doubt we'll see crowd akin to the A-League.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The A Leagues average crowd numbers have fluctuated. In 2010/11, the 6th season, the average was 8,393. Last season it was over 13,000.

The NRC is a much shorter competition so even if it were to get up near the averages of the A League it wouldn't be near it on aggregate.

I hope we see at least a couple of NRC crowds of over 5k this year. You'd think the QLD derby at Ballymore might do it. Maybe the Rising could do it on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon home game if they keep winning. Surely the regulars at Rebels games would be enticed to see their team win for a change!!

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Round 6 is going to be the week for some decent crowds provided there's okay weather.

Brisbane City vs QLD Country and Rays vs Rams on Sunday afternoon should both do well. No reason both can't top 5k.

And the Spirit should draw a decent number for their home game against the Stars.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not as convinced city v country will pull a big one. Think school holidays may be a factor and people will be away for it. I'm missing it for that reason.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not as convinced city v country will pull a big one. Think school holidays may be a factor and people will be away for it. I'm missing it for that reason.

There's always some people away and always a clash with something.

I think it'll be pretty disappointing if City vs Country only gets 2-3k people. There's no QLD teams left in the NRL or AFL and it's basically Reds vs Reds and potential Reds vs potential Reds. And Reds assistant coach vs Reds assistant coach.

If they can't build up a bit of spice in the lead up and get some publicity for it then they're not trying hard enough IMO. I think even 5k is not very ambitious.

Status
Not open for further replies.