• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
The scrum half in union for the most part plays it pretty quick but every once in a while he lets it sit at the locks legs while the attack gets more organised or the fatties have another push.

Re dummy half pressure, it comes from the two markers not the defensive line who are standing right in front of the dummy half not back at the defensive line but right there.

Competition level for comparable stats why don't you just do the super league against the English rugby premiership the Aviva.

You can do a total pass, total plays and total passes per play.

I understand where you are coming from regarding tiers but to be honest I don't think that sort of comparison works as well with rugby league if you are trying to compare the two.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Just do super rugby. It's a club comp and one tier down from test rugby. The NRL is one tier down from international and SOO can be regarded as an international or rep footy anyway. Not a tier on it's own.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
yes, rather than getting into a debate of why a certain tier, just do 'what people watch'. After all, that IS what the opinions are based upon.:)

So the 'leaguies' obviously watch the NRL. *We* watch super rugby. (and of course internationals but you get the drift)

What is it that is being done this time? I've kinda lost track, tho am happy to pass that ball to myzpltix :D

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Just do super rugby. It's a club comp and one tier down from test rugby. The NRL is one tier down from international and SOO can be regarded as an international or rep footy anyway. Not a tier on it's own.

Doing Waratahs-Blues now.

T

Train Without a Station

The title of this thread is fucked anyway. The biggest problem to Australia rugby is the Australian rugby media. They're doing more damage to the game than anything those NRL half wits could.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Dummy half vs scrum half comparisons are rubbish, because in league the attacking side don't commit to the ruck - they already are set for the next play. They also get a clean play the ball. The play is a lot more regular.

In comparison the rugby scrum half has to deal with variety of scenarios, from a clean play the ball to full out messy competition for the ball, making the next play scenario a lot more uncertain. The play is a lot more irregular.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Dummy half vs scrum half comparisons are rubbish, because in league the attacking side don't commit to the ruck - they already are set for the next play. They also get a clean play the ball. The play is a lot more regular.

In comparison the rugby scrum half has to deal with variety of scenarios, from a clean play the ball to full out messy competition for the ball, making the next play scenario a lot more uncertain. The play is a lot more irregular.

I was re-watching the Blues-Waratahs game from this past season, and the only time Phipps hung out behind the locks for any significant time, the Blues counter-rucked and turned the ball over.

Besides, that rule was brought in where the ref will tell them to use it at the back of the ruck if they don't make a move in about 3-5 seconds. that's been in place for a few years now.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Speaking of the league media how hard was Gordon tallis trying to get Thurston to say something to get himself into trouble

He wasn't doing Thurston any favors, and didn't seem like he wanted to listen to the answers Thurston gave. It looked weird, and Thurston's class made Tallis' questioning look tacky.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
This was good -- Dan Ginane on Dead Set Legends having a whinge about soccer media putting down rugby league. This to Richard Freeman:
"Can I bring up another point? David Gallop -- your good mate, we all like David, but he's a particular mate of yours -- took a couple of pot-shots at rugby league this week -- launching soccer, their season. And they seem to do this every year, where they like to really fire shots at league, where he's talking about the Sydney darby outstripping ticket sales for the finals. That's good, that's fine. But I don't understand the mentality of soccer -- I'm not having a go at your sport because I really enjoy your sport -- but it seems that some soccer people think that we have to bring down other sports for our sport to rise in this country."

Freeman then suggested it was a tactic on the part of Gallop from when
"other people had sniped his sport when he was running NRL, and how effective that was. So he's only using learned behavior to his advantage. He knows that in the finals week, if you say those sort of things, you will attract attention away from NRL and on to your sport. So that's what he's doing, that's just being -- guerilla tactics, but they're smart."

First -- really Ginane? You don't understand the mentality of bringing down other sports for your sport to rise? Because you never miss a chance to put the boot into union, especially whenever you bring up Folau, Sam Burgess or SBW. And you usually do it in a snide tone that sounds like you can barely stand to have the words in your mouth and can't wait to spit them out on the floor and kick them out the door. "Kick and clap."

funny-pictures-history-oh-the.jpg

Second, it may be a tactic, but it raises two questions: Does rugby league really get that kind of treatment in the press, and if so by whom? And is the NRL so weak in Sydney when it comes to fans that it can't keep pace with soccer?

My sense is that Triple M sees union as league's main competitors and soccer as a step ahead of it now. That's probably one of the reasons they got rid of The Ruck with Tim Horan and Matt Burke, but regularly have Mark Bosnich on (buddy!). It's like a weird pack behavior, where the animals lower in rank show their tummy to the animals higher in rank, but don't miss a chance to pick on the animals who are just behind them in rank.

Kate Elizabeth

Herbert Moran (7)
Speaking of the league media how hard was Gordon tallis trying to get Thurston to say something to get himself into trouble
And Thurston's comment that he absolutely wasn't going to say something because he would find himself in trouble. Calling it early!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Haha. Gus gets his knickers in a twist defending the loig.

But the AFL mob aren't really a whole lot different.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Haha. Gus gets his knickers in a twist defending the loig.

But the AFL mob aren't really a whole lot different.

Nah, due to the overwhelming popularity of the game in Victoria the AFL mob generally don't feel threatened by the NRL, and that's why you don't get the same cross-code spite that the mungos spit out........................ in fact, most of the AFL media folk I've worked with still can't distinguish between the two rugby codes.

They honestly don't care.

Folau and Hunt's departures from AFL have been generally well supported by the AFL media in Melbourne, and shows such as Channel 7's Game Day have often shown Folau's highlights since he came to rugby.

T

Train Without a Station

My exact point about rugby media. This is a quote from Matt Burke's Sydney Morning Herald article:

Only one win against one of the big nations, South Africa, this year is some cause for concern.

Considering we have only played 3, and drawn one, I'm not sure about the great concern. Wouldn't only one loss against a big nation be just as positive as only one win is negative?

He sits there and rightfully bags our 2013 record where we lost 3 against the All Blacks out of 3 and 2 out of 2 against the Springboks. Why would he not mention that there is clear improvement?

Because like all Australian (most) Rugby media, he's a fuckwit. What are people like him and Growden going to do for a living when they finally manage to bring down the code that's existence keeps them employed?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
My exact point about rugby media. This is a quote from Matt Burke's Sydney Morning Herald article:

Considering we have only played 3, and drawn one, I'm not sure about the great concern. Wouldn't only one loss against a big nation be just as positive as only one win is negative?

He sits there and rightfully bags our 2013 record where we lost 3 against the All Blacks out of 3 and 2 out of 2 against the Springboks. Why would he not mention that there is clear improvement?

Because like all Australian (most) Rugby media, he's a fuckwit. What are people like him and Growden going to do for a living when they finally manage to bring down the code that's existence keeps them employed?
We Wallaby supporters expect too much from our team at times.

Why do we expect to beat teams that are ranked higher than us every time? We should hope to compete with better teams and rejoice when we beat them.

I think of our Rugby team like the NZ cricket team when they play Australia. They will never beat us in every game and when they do manage a win it is worthy of celebration.

T

Train Without a Station

Even if losing to teams ranked above us is bad, there has only been 1 example in 2014. Hardly panic stations.

If you look at it from a % basis, we have lost 33% of games to teams above us in 2014. That's less than our win/loss ration against all teams since 2000.

That may change, but he's not saying if that changes, he's saying as it stands now.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)

How much of that doom-saying and Cassandra-ing do you think is their own fuckwitted honest assessments, and how much of it is a media penchant to gin up crisis and controversy in order to draw eyes and sell copy?

I'm an outsider looking in, but the Aussie media seems to have a talent for trying to blow the smallest ember into a big fire, but more often than not just getting a lot of smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.