• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks vs Wallabies @ Newlands 27/9/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I
Oh yeah that's right, I'm ducking and weaving with my use of stats, hey.

It was a stupid question, that's why I didn't answer it. No howlers are 'acceptable', just like no knock-ons are 'acceptable'. Of course these guys are going to make mistakes every once in a while, that's rugby.

TPN's throwing has been fine for years now, at all levels of footy. The Super Rugby stats are totally valid, it isn't like your throwing is affected by the level of rugby you are playing.

I'd like to see some stats to back up your opinion, but I feel I may be waiting a while to see them.

Bullshit. It's precisely the kind of thing you are more likely to screw up when you feel under greater pressure.

You tell me what you think is "fine" at lest level, and I'll throw together a video of every throw he's made for the Wallabies since and including 2010, and we can have a look.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Fine is hitting the jumper as called. Plain and simple.

I'm out of this argument until you can give me something, anything, to back up your point of view.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Am really surprised that Link is continuing with Carter. Thought Horwill has deserved a run-on shot (only because Carter hasn't performed to the high level to make the spot his own). From all reports Horwill has taken bench selections with good grace and is being very helpful at training to Mr Carter - not that you would expect anything else from the bloke.

Still, he must be grinding his teeth.....:)

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Fine is hitting the jumper as called. Plain and simple.

I'm out of this argument until you can give me something, anything, to back up your point of view.

You're going around in circles. I suspect you're unwilling to set a metric because you're concerned the facts will be a bit ugly. I can't say I blame you.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You're going around in circles. I suspect you're unwilling to set a metric because you're concerned the facts will be a bit ugly. I can't say I blame you.

The metric is zero.

As barbarian said in a previous post, no crooked throws are acceptable. Some are a fact of life though.

The benchmark has to be set at zero because that is what everyone is aiming for and on a game by game basis, some achieve that.

As with all errors, players are trying to eliminate them from their game but they still happen. Coaches and selectors need to measure those error rates against the other players competing for a position to determine how costly a player's error rate is relative to someone else as well as what other positives and negatives a player brings.

T

Train Without a Station

Shit TWAS - a number of pages ago you were his new bestest bestest friend, - I actually thought you were his Mum

In all fairness I think Horwill has been marginally better than Carter in his cameo's, but so have almost all subs as they have been able to focus on a 20 minute cameo, so in my view he hasn't been beating down the door exactly.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
The metric is zero.

As barbarian said in a previous post, no crooked throws are acceptable. Some are a fact of life though.

The benchmark has to be set at zero because that is what everyone is aiming for and on a game by game basis, some achieve that.

As with all errors, players are trying to eliminate them from their game but they still happen. Coaches and selectors need to measure those error rates against the other players competing for a position to determine how costly a player's error rate is relative to someone else as well as what other positives and negatives a player brings.

All of which is fine, but it was pretty clearly implied that TPN's throwing (not in the context of whatever else he offers around the park, just his throwing) has been "fine" since after 2009. I infer from this that in 2009 and earlier, it wasn't fine and I would just like to know how this improvement has actually been measured.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
All of which is fine, but it was pretty clearly implied that TPN's throwing (not in the context of whatever else he offers around the park, just his throwing) has been "fine" since after 2009. I infer from this that in 2009 and earlier, it wasn't fine and I would just like to know how this improvement has actually been measured.

His throwing has got statistically better over the years. I have no idea what year saw significant improvements and I'd guess it was actually later than 2009 but his throwing has improved substantially.

Someone would need to go through Super Rugby and test records to work out exactly by how much but it has happened.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
His throwing has got statistically better over the years. I have no idea what year saw significant improvements and I'd guess it was actually later than 2009 but his throwing has improved substantially.

Someone would need to go through Super Rugby and test records to work out exactly by how much but it has happened.

I have offered to put together a video of all of his Wallaby throws since 2010.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Prepare for Vibe-O-Stat™.

I've offered to make a video which would make it trivial to analyse his throwing performance over time, I just want a KPI from those that are confident he's meeting them so the goalposts don't shift after people see the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.