• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
IMG_2526.jpg

Proud moment for the team and school at Saturday night's end of season function. Apart from the anticipated celebrations, biggest spoken accolades were for Jason Gilmore's coaching skill, not only technically, but in terms of team culture and motivation.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Part 1: 2014 Wobble Wrap – The Top 4

2014 was a season dominated by a Churchie Side with sublime skill, off-set by a very simple game-plan. I guess you can do that with a back line that is quicker than a Nudgee Boarder through a Hungry Jacks Drive thru on the last day of term.
The other usual suspects stood up as well. Nudgee was stronger then most gave them credit for and TSS were slicker than a Gold Coast Real Estate Agent after a Mogadon laced Martini. And BBC showed glimmers of class, but were slower out of the blocks than a nobbled greyhound at Albion Park on a Wednesday night.

1. Churchie
There are some discussions from the boffins on this thread about where this team ranks vs previous GPS Premiers, but that’s pointless. It’s a bit like comparing the Punch at a Churchie Mums Fundraiser from year to year; either way you’ve got to be bloody strong to be effective and no one really remembers the details of what happened anyway!
Many also believe Ponga is the most talented back to go through the GPS comp since Churchie Old Boy Quade Cooper. That might be true, but let’s just hope he is less successful at stealing laptops off Asian students and sledging Wallaby coaches. The real story here is Churchie assembled the best team in the competition and avoided the golden choke. Most Churchie supporters quietly parked their Range Rovers at Longland Street each Saturday morning, (without fanfare and well directed smart arse comments to parents of other schools), and made their way to the official Churchie Daiquiri Stand out the back of the clubhouse, where they all got a facial and a foot massage and quietly hoped they would win. As opposed to previous years when they would walk in screaming like Jimmy Barnes after a 2 week bender and 3 bottles of vodka. (Calm down Churchie mums it’s an analogy not real vodka!). It was a well-deserved Premiership in more ways than one. Can they follow it up next year? Is Ponga a Cowboy? No and yes.

2. Nudgee College
As usual the Nudgee Old Boy network blindly believed in the holy Blue & White and they began printing the “Premiers” T-shirts just after the first trial game. In reality they were a “Churchie Choke” off the title as they cleverly put themselves in the frame for a Stephen Bradbury Premiership. Say what you like about our Nudgee friends, they know how to win and year after year they pursue the same old dream to the detriment of anything and everything else. It’s a bit like watching Sam Newman chasing promo girls at the AFL Grand Final; eventually one will drop a pom-pom and fall behind the group and then you’ll get what you want!
Are they in the frame for next year? Of course they are and Sam Newman will be chasing skirt till the day he slips into his coffin! Same thing!

3. TSS
TSS are to the GPS Rugby Premiership as a Gold Coast Bikie gang is to a crime wave. As long as they still have a clubhouse and a uniform and are allowed to meet in public, they will be a serious threat to the safety of others. They will do what it takes to put a great team on the field, year in and year out, even if it means signing every Argentinian under the age of 25 at the recent Gold Coast Wallabies game and re-issuing their birth certificates. I’m glad they did that because there’s as much chance of another Wallabies game being played on the Goldie as there is Grammar winning the premiership next year. TSS put the “I” (for import) in TEAM and you can expect some fresh faces at the back of TSS classrooms doing nothing next year. And who cares – if they played like the team this year, I’ll be watching them!

4. BBC
Or as the respected Monday Ex calls them the White Elephants. And at the beginning of the season they moved a bit like a herd of pissed, large elephants too. Once they realized they were BBC and not the Wallabies under Robbie Deans, they simplified the plan to something they could understand. While they were at it they should have dropped a colour off their jersey too, it’s easier to remember the war cry that way! That said a BBC team in my experience was always simple and tough, a bit like Matt Dunning, or maybe more like Tom Lawton, (Matt Dunning was just simple), but I digress. Top half of the table was probably a worthy spot for them in the end. They played some good rugby and they had one of the most talented back lines in the competition (most of whom return in 2015 apparently). If the BBC Dirty Laundry Squad don’t get on here and crap on about every weight session they do in the off-season, they might just be thereabouts next year.

Nightmare

Allen Oxlade (6)
Correct me if Im wrong but wasn't the comps prior to this year based on year level for grade 5,6,7.Come grade 8 they went into u13's.
This year was obviously age group from u/10's to u/16'.
Are they reverting back to last years structure???
Anyone actually know what they are going to do or are we all just speculating.
Ive been told by a teacher that they are more then likely going back to grade level.I couldn't get a clear answer as to whether in grade 8 they then revert to age group.
Any takers??????

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
Correct me if Im wrong but wasn't the comps prior to this year based on year level for grade 5,6,7.Come grade 8 they went into u13's.
Ive been told by a teacher that they are more then likely going back to grade level.I couldn't get a clear answer as to whether in grade 8 they then revert to age group.
Any takers??????

I believe primary are reverting back, but senior schools remains in age groups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
So effectively the new system changes that to be like a financial year.

Technically 1st XV is simply OPEN, so there is no age requirements or restrictions.

Sorry, I might have missed something in the thread, is this a change they are going to?

OPEN rugby in GPS has always been an U18 competition eg Can't compete past the year you turn 18.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
OPEN rugby in GPS has always been an U18 competition eg Can't compete past the year you turn 18.

Well as it stands now in Qld half of year 12 will turn 18 in teh final year from the current year 8's i believe

And my impression from a couple of the DOR's they are looking at all years going to class groups next year

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
Sorry, I might have missed something in the thread, is this a change they are going to?

Not sure really, I was referring to the fact that anyone from any year at a school can play firsts. But what they will do with 18s I don't know.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Better check that mate, the age rule started this year. Many kids found themselves playing up a year.

If it's found a school isn't abiding by the age rules, I'm sure it will be remedied

Having said that, if you were 16 and in grade 10, even under the old system you would have played U16 mate

This is the BIG change for next year..... What a joke

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Yh
Any takers??????
They are going year level regardless of age ... What a joke ....good luck GT

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Heads of sport have agreed to it already

I thought this had to have unanimous approval to pass. But I believed I knew of two schools adamantly against it.

From my perspective it would be stupidity to go to year groups. When size diversity is so large between 13 and 16, even being six months older can be a massive advantage.

Such a change would further reduce numbers playing rugby on an unlevel playing field.

I hear it is TSS banging this drum and of course they will be one of the primary beneficiaries of this change with their intake already structured to be 6 months older than all the other schools.

Just madness for anyone else to support this.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Sure you're not confusing the decision for just the primary years?

Not at all ..... Interesting times with GT, grammar ... God knows why...., ippy of course ... Why wouldn't they look at their u13 and u13 results ... But be warned this is going to turn the age groups upside down.... Surely it's not the only contact sport that allows players to play down an age group ... ??? Legal eagles will be circling when the injury rate goes through the roof ...

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
Not at all ... Interesting times with GT, grammar . God knows why.., ippy of course . Why wouldn't they look at their u13 and u13 results . But be warned this is going to turn the age groups upside down.. Surely it's not the only contact sport that allows players to play down an age group . ??? Legal eagles will be circling when the injury rate goes through the roof .

I think you're misinformed mate! There appears to be no change at least to u13 and up

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
I don't understand what you are trying to say? If they are playing by year group. Eg. grade 8 etc., there are going to be huge changes. Boys that are grade 8 this year, but played under 14 because of their age, will be playing under 14 again next year. Potentially, you could have a 13 year old playing against a 15 yr old (if they are not playing by age groups).
I cannot see how the schools would agree to this, so I doubt it will happen. The physical difference will be just to great.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
Too
Mate your usual on the mark but believe me your informant is not up to speed
Confirmed today by director of sport at one of the schools that no deal has been done - far from it. It has been discussed, like it has every year for the last couple.
In any event, it needs to be agreed by all of the Headmasters, and it hasn't even made the agenda there.
The cohort currently moving through Grade 6, and into grade 7 next year, is the first year where the official age marker for class years is June 30. There has been discussion about these anomalies being washed out as this group move through - I doubt it though, as no matter what the cut-off, there will always be exceptions that fall outside.
Perhaps it was these discussions that has caused the confusion ?

Nightmare

Allen Oxlade (6)
As a parent of a boy who is well and truely one of the younger boys in his grade I feel up to grade 7 should/I have no problems with playing in year level.Come grade 8 I think it should be u/13's etc.I have no doubt other parents whose boys are on the other end of the scale are more than happy with year level structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.