• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby Season 14/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I wonder if Munster morale was impacted by their little admin error earlier in the week. Would have been a fun team meeting to be in the day after.

I think Keatley's osteitis pubis -- a hip problem -- might be as much an issue as any email snafu. He's still trying to treat it with therapy, no surgery, and he missed how many kicks? Two conversions and one penalty? Any one of those could have put the game away for them -- not that they didn't have other problems. But they'll definitely need to get the kicking squared away.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Munster aren't helped by the fact that they've appointed an old boys club to their management team. They've very little depth in key positions in the pack and at 9. They'll have a similar season to last year I think struggle in the league (but qualify for the You Won't Believe Its Not The Heineken Cup) and have a decent European run ending in glorious failure.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I guess this had to happen sooner or later:

"European club champion Toulon has put pressure on Pumas star Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe and Springboks Bryan Habana and Bakkies Botha to front in the French championship.

"Wealthy Toulon owner Mourad Boudjellal was threatening not to pay his star internationals if they didn't turn out for his club against Brive this Saturday in the French Top 14 championship.

"He has issued an ultimatum, even threatening court action in France."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...lon-trouble-for-Pumas-All-Blacks-test-buildup

IRB need to be all over this & work with FFR to get it sorted before this lunatic fucks international rugby for the sake of his ego.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The IRB and the various Unions had a chance to send a strong message to the rich clubs during the dispute over the HEC. Instead the folded and gave the clubs pretty much everything they wanted. It's no surprise that those same clubs now feel emboldened.

This move by the French clubs and the threatened strike action during the RWC by the English clubs is a sign that they are pushing the boundaries once again. If the FFR & IRB don't take action they'll be seen as weak and club will push even further.

In my opinion we've already passed the tipping point where the IRB and the Unions were the undisputed powers of the game. At this point the big English and French clubs now see themselves at least on a par with the Unions and we're moving towards a situation, like football, where the clubs will dictate terms to the Unions.

I'm not sure the IRB or the Unions can reverse the slide but at the very least they need to do everything in the power to slow it.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
"Wealthy Toulon owner Mourad Boudjellal was threatening not to pay his star internationals if they didn't turn out for his club against Brive this Saturday in the French Top 14 championship.

"He has issued an ultimatum, even threatening court action in France."

I wonder if this will have a ricochet effect with internationals choosing more carefully where they'll go if they decide to play for a club outside of their country. George North managed to work in some language in his Northampton contract to make sure he'd be allowed to play for Wales during the typical IRB international schedule. There was a hassle with one game that fell outside of the regular schedule, and Northampton sued, but I don't think North has had to face anything like what Lobbe, Habana and Botha are being asked to do.

If French -- or any -- clubs are going to pay through the nose to get current internationals because they're internationals, but then refuse to let them play for their countries in a way that allows them to properly recover, you could see more internationals deciding to take a little less pay at a different club if it means they don't have to choose between club or country.

Plus, having to rush back from international duty to a French grudge match without proper recovery and then back to international duty risks shortening a player's career. Their earning potential may actually increase if they choose to play for a club that gives them some more flexibility and extends their longevity, rather than the clubs that milk them dry as fast as possible.

Boudjellal could be murdering his golden goose with these kinds of stunts.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Slow work day so I thought I'd so a quick summary of how the various NH teams are looking a year out from the World Cup

England

Currently talking themselves up and their media are in a spin about their prospects in reality I'd put them behind the All Blacks and the Boks. Their scrum has been the worst in the 6 Nations for a number of years, but the rest of their pack is very good but a bit one dimensional in attack. They are still lacking a top 10, 12 combination however they do have an electric back 3 and Danny Care provides a real attacking spark at 9.

What they have in their favour is home advantage and potentially a walkover of a quarter final. Right now its hard to call how they'll do, every neutral will be wanting them out at the group stages but I suspect they'll reach a minimum of the quarter final

Ireland

The Joe Schmidt era is well and truly underway, the Wallabies are the only team to really hammer Ireland and with a bit more luck Ireland could have had a slam and a first win over NZ. Irelands strength in this time has been numbers 1 through 10, John Plumtree finally got Ireland pack motoring and it will be interesting to see how they cope with his departure. There is incredible depth throughout the pack except at 3 and 8. Areas of concern are also in the centres, personally I'd be going for an Olding Payne combination but I suspect Joe will play this one safe. Ireland also need more creativity in the backs, Zebo and Bowe will hopefully provide this.

Irelands World Cup essentially rests on a game with the French, win this and they'll play England or Australia in a semi final. Lose and its BNZ. Right now I'd back us to make at least the semi final.

Wales

They have a horror draw courtesy of Gatlands boom and bust form. Right now Wales are on a bust and its difficult to see how they can get out of it. Adam Jones' form has fallen off a cliff and their set piece is susceptible to even a Wallaby scrum if they have to rely on Samson Lee. They have currently no 9 and 10 threat to release their talented backline. If Gareth Ambscombe is the answer I'm not sure what question Wazza is asking.

Wales could always come good as they did in the last World Cup, however I think there is too many players affected by long term form slumps (Adam Jones, Gethin Jenkins, Dan Lydiate, St Sam, Phillips), too many who'll be knackered from playing in France and just not enough ball carriers in the pack. Wales will be out in the groups and Gatland will be a goner.

Scotland

New coach, same problems. They simply don't have the players but do have a favorable(ish) draw, it will all come down to a pseudo home game in Newcastle against Samoa. They'll get a bit of a tonking in the quarter final if they get their but their World Cup will be judged on that Samoa game.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Continued Problems with Fly Half and Hooker.

No real depth in the centers or Locks.

Plenty of good Props and Back Rowers, not enough great ones.

Same problems since New Zealand, and the likelihood is that we'll not fix it for a good wee while.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
If Gareth Ambscombe is the answer I'm not sure what question Wazza is asking.

zo7jz4qwinfqs8z4eajk.gif

Regarding Ireland, Kearney is most likely locked on at fullback, but what about Payne as a utility player? Any thoughts on Madigan moving to 12 as a second five-eighth? I'm interested to see if he gets a run-out at 12 with Sexton at 10.

It's interesting to see the front row stocks starting to deepen. The props are developing and starting to push each other for starting positions across the provinces.

There was a good wise-ass tweet about Warburton playing for Cardiff, something like "Who is this Sam Warburton guy? I've not seen him before, and I watch a LOT of Pro 12." I wonder if some of those Lions will be able to play themselves back into form, and if Samson Lee can develop as much as he needs to in that time. Liam Williams will still be a card in waiting.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Heard this mentioned in the Glasgow-Leinster game, but wasn't sure -- is Josh Strauss looking to play for Scotland? He's been in Glasgow since 2012, so as far as I know he'll qualify by 2015.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Qualifies on Monday somethink of September, 2 days before Scotland's opening pool game of RWC. Might be too late for big Josh.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Setanta Sports won't be televising the Guinness Pro 12 nor the Aviva Premiership this season, according to their customer service department.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Setanta Sports won't be televising the Guinness Pro 12 nor the Aviva Premiership this season, according to their customer service department.

Setanta will be bankrupt by the end of the year, they lost the GAA to channel 7 this year and that was the only thing people pay for over the last 4 months.

Will have had a major impact on them, not going to pay for it this year. Will just stream matches when I can or watch in a pub.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
zo7jz4qwinfqs8z4eajk.gif

Regarding Ireland, Kearney is most likely locked on at fullback, but what about Payne as a utility player? Any thoughts on Madigan moving to 12 as a second five-eighth? I'm interested to see if he gets a run-out at 12 with Sexton at 10.

It's interesting to see the front row stocks starting to deepen. The props are developing and starting to push each other for starting positions across the provinces.

There was a good wise-ass tweet about Warburton playing for Cardiff, something like "Who is this Sam Warburton guy? I've not seen him before, and I watch a LOT of Pro 12." I wonder if some of those Lions will be able to play themselves back into form, and if Samson Lee can develop as much as he needs to in that time. Liam Williams will still be a card in waiting.

Payne right now is probably in line to get the 23 jersey however if Luke Fitzgerald gets back to full fitness he covers more positions.

Madigan is developing as a 12 it suits his skillset but occasionally gets caught out defensively. Personally I'd like to see him at ten for Leinster but it appears MOC isn't a fan.

Around 8 years ago the IRFU put a huge emphasis on developing front row stocks and we're starting to see the fruits of that labour now.

St Sam has played more international rugby than he has for Cardiff. Sums up his attitude about club rugby IMO never seems to push himself or generally give a fuck.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
With regard to Ireland I'm getting a little worried about the game at provincial level. I just can't see where the provinces are going. I don't think Leinster players have bought into MOC's game plan the way they did with Cheika or Schmidt.

Munster experimented with a more expansive game but failed to retain the cohesion they had in their pack. As a result they've ended up a team that falls between two stools and that is reflected in their inconsistency. With Foley at the helm now that should change but it's probably going to take this season to put the pack back to where it was and once again think about being more expansive. I think with Hanrahan coming through the ranks a more expansive team is a real possibility 2 or 3 season down the line.

Ulster have lost David Humphreys who was a real driver behind their improvements in recent years. They need to win something soon or this group of players are going to be labelled nearly men and bottlers.

Connacht have really shown improvement in recent years on the back of some really good imports. But they have to put in place a mechanism whereby they can develop their own talent and over 10-15 years wean themselves off imported players without going back to the days when they were perennial wooden spoon contenders in the league.

Interestingly Schmidt may have a completely different problem this season than the one he was hired to solve. Rather than trying to get players who are ultra successful for their clubs to reproduce that in a green shirt he may find that a large portion of the squad are more comfortable wearing green than their provincial colours.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Provinces never look in good shape at this time of the season. I'd judge them after the first round of Heineken Cup games

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Hilariously, Glasgow v Connacht, 2 vs 3, is the only game that isn't being broadcast this week. Maybe the Zebre game too.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Connacht are 3/3 and are third (not turd) on the ladder.

Connacht's self-belief and confidence is a lot deeper than its bench. It'll be interesting to see how they go once their new recruits get on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.