• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Running

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Have never done a metatarsal before. EDIT: to my knowledge, that is.

If I lift my toes up off the floor, it hurts.

When I press on top of my foot - right over the tendon for my middle toe about halfway between my toe and ankle - I can feel it creak. Pressing on that spot also produces very minor pain, like a bruise.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Tendonitis more likely, but forefoot fractures can be bastards. If it doesn't start settling soon, get it looked at properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Podiatrists are Satan's spawn. Last time I saw one about plantar faciitis I walked out of the place with orthotics and without $400. After a month of the orthotics only giving relief from symptoms, I walked home from work twice in them, then threw them away. Never had a problem since

But I will talk to my chiropractor/kinesiologist about it if things don't improve. At least they've steered me right so far through seasons of rugby ;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Podiatrists are Satan's spawn. Last time I saw one about plantar faciitis I walked out of the place with orthotics and without $400. After a month of the orthotics only giving relief from symptoms, I walked home from work twice in them, then threw them away. Never had a problem since

But I will talk to my chiropractor/kinesiologist about it if things don't improve. At least they've steered me right so far through seasons of rugby ;)
You had me at Satan's spawn, then lost me again with chiro / kinesio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I had plantar faciitis for a little while but a few exercises from my physio got rid of it and it hasn't come back.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You had me at Satan's spawn, then lost me again with chiro / kinesio.

Correctly diagnosed and treated my ankle injury source as dura mater torsion to complete recovery within six weeks, which two physios and several GPs wasted my time on for months.

I'm not saying the therapy itself is going to beat everything else, or that western medicine is necessarily wrong.

But I'm NOT going to turn down something that works.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Managed to get around the Sunshine Coast Marathon course in a 2:49 this morning.

Pretty fucking happy with that as took a bit over 5 minutes out of my previous Marathon PB. Wasn't planning on going that quick but weather was good & course mostly flat apart from an over & back of Alex Headland.

Enjoying beer now.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Managed to get around the Sunshine Coast Marathon course in a 2:49 this morning.

Pretty fucking happy with that as took a bit over 5 minutes out of my previous Marathon PB. Wasn't planning on going that quick but weather was good & course mostly flat apart from an over & back of Alex Headland.

Enjoying beer now.
Wow! Congratulations! That's seriously good running.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Did my first 3km for a while today in 15:53. Cooper was 2.31km which was OK, at 5:08, 5:18, 5:27 reflecting my lack of practice.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I've set myself a goal: to play Rugby again next season. I have too much unfinished business and desperately want to play again regardless of how old I feel.
I need to achieve a reasonable level of fitness if I am to even remotely enjoy playing again though so I thought I'd try running.
So here I am.
I'll try and keep the background info short. A couple of years ago (mid 2012) I had a scare and had to have about 1/4 of my bowel removed. That time in my life fucked with my head a lot, to the extent that I have actively avoided, amongst other quite random things, doing exercise since. I have no idea why. Which brings me to now. I'm probably only about 5kg over my goal weight but my cardio fitness is scarily poor. My core is also as soft as they come.
I went for a run/walk yesterday. Just over 3km. It took me about 25mins I'd estimate. It was really weird though. I'd be running along, feeling like I was doing it easy and then very suddenly my legs would start to go and I got light headed so I'd slow to a walk. Only once I was walking sweat started pouring out, I became ridiculously puffed and really dizzy and shaky. When I recovered i started jogging again.

Does this sound normal/ok? Or should I be going about this differently?

One other thing, because I'm so soft in the middle, when I jogged the jiggling was so bad, from my waist to my neck itched like crazy! Are there any awesome runners remedies that will help this? Would those compression garments help at all with this issue?

I was pretty stiff and sore today (hip flexors mainly) so I just went for a walk today and intend on going for another run tomorrow.

My goal is to work up to 10km by Christmas which essentially 10 weeks away. Not sure if that's reasonable but it's a goal nonetheless. Am I kidding myself?
Any tips you have would be appreciated. :)

EDIT: Sorry for the long post. That one kinda got away from me a bit.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If I am starting from scratch (again o_O ) or near scratch the couch to 5km programs are very good. (they also have to 10km programs)

Don't be consumed with guilt as you do the first few easily, it builds endurance with less chance for injury with walking and running combined early in the program

With one the free phone apps and head phones it gives you all the timings and some even GPS data in paid versions.

If you have some load still in your legs head for the 5km to 10km apps (or start in the back end of the 5km app)

T

Train Without a Station

Mapmyrun is free and great. A little better than Strava in my view.

Where will you be playing rugby Scoey?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
If I am starting from scratch (again o_O ) or near scratch the couch to 5km programs are very good. (they also have to 10km programs)

Don't be consumed with guilt as you do the first few easily, it builds endurance with less chance for injury with walking and running combined early in the program

With one the free phone apps and head phones it gives you all the timings and some even GPS data in paid versions.

If you have some load still in your legs head for the 5km to 10km apps (or start in the back end of the 5km app)

Thanks FP. I've downloaded a few apps and will try them all to see which works best for what I want to do. Probably fairly sage advice about the first few runs, I think my body almost went in to survival mode after the first one so probably best not to go in too hard, too fast or I'll damage my body or my motivation possibly.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Mapmyrun is free and great. A little better than Strava in my view.

Where will you be playing rugby Scoey?
Cheers TWAS. Mapmyrun isn't one of the ones I downloaded but I'll give it a look. Most of my mates suggested runkeeper so I'm going to try that one on his arvo's run and see how it goes.

I haven't decided 100% on where I'll play but 99% sure I'll just go back to my old club, the Caboolture Snakes. They are in the Brisbane Subbies comp but I'm not sure what division (or even if they have divisions still???)
Piece of piss providing you aren't having any adverse health issues.
Are you doing any other training? Weights? Yoga? Zumba?
Give this a try
http://www.myrunningtips.com/couch-to-10k.html

Good to know. My main concerns are my knees and back. If I can look after them I'll hopefully go ok. I'm not doing any other training as I'm really time poor at the moment (Work/Uni/young family). About half an hour for a run was all I could find time for really. Was going to try and set aside 20-30 mins a night to do some core stuff in my shed also but I'm not confident I'll get it done at the moment. Once Uni finishes for the year I'll free up some of my evening.
Thanks for the link, I've had a quick look and it looks good. I'll check it out properly today!