• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Wow Hutchison is out: that is a blow but to balance that Fifita is named and that is a huge plus as he must be fit.

Whereas HH can be replaced by an excellent player (Perese was outstanding in U/16s last year) Fifita was virtually irreplaceable in my opinion.

Mafi is a big loss at hooker but if anybody saw the Waratah Cup final last week they would be feeling a bit more comfortable about Ed Craig, though he is not a bruiser as Mafi is.

Hutchison went down badly against shore - the call was made for the stretcher. he got back to his feet after a long delay and finished the game (maybe 30 minutes left) but he was severely hampered.
As Kafe would say "I'm no doctor but"... my diagnosis from 50m is syndesmosis injury

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hutchison went down badly against shore - the call was made for the stretcher. he got back to his feet after a long delay and finished the game (maybe 30 minutes left) but he was severely hampered.
As Kafe would say "I'm no doctor but". my diagnosis from 50m is syndesmosis injury
Your good. Can confirm that diagnosis

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
HH is not the 1st one at View to suffer a syndesmosis injury this season. Depending on the extent of the damage from all reports they're frustratingly slow to heal - average time about 55 days.

This injury was apparently fairly rare in the past but is now becoming more commonplace. Various theories abound as to why but the ultra-light boots worn by many backs are frequently cited for the blame.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
HH is not the 1st one at View to suffer a syndesmosis injury this season. Depending on the extent of the damage from all reports they're frustratingly slow to heal - average time about 55 days.

This injury was apparently fairly rare in the past but is now becoming more commonplace. Various theories abound as to why but the ultra-light boots worn by many backs are frequently cited for the blame.

I had an MRI of my ankle the other day.
The doc said to me "i see you had a syndesmosis injury".
I said "oh. I think I know when i did that but no one ever told me".
I think they are just diagnosed now.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Richie Asiata Anglican Church Grammar School QLD II
Tom Blake Marcellin College VIC
Phil Bradford Hunter Sports High School NSW I
Ed Craig Epping Boys’ High School NSW I
Tuaina Tualima Brisbane State High QLD I
Nicholas Duffy St Joseph’s College, Hunters Hill NSW II
Vunipola Fifita Newington College NSW I
Joey Fittock The Southport School QLD I
Harley Fox (c) Anglican Church Grammar School QLD I
Jordan Fulivai St Francis Xavier College ACT
Harrison Goddard Oakhill College NSW I
Ned Yeomans Kinross-Wolaroi School CS
Jordan Jackson-Hope St Edmund’s College ACT
Sepesa Loga-Tarogi Newington College NSW I
Gavin Luka St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD I
Evan Pritchard St Ignatius’ College NSW II
Maumau Monu Canberra College ACT
Connor Moroney St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace QLD I
Connor O’Shea St Joseph’s College, Hunters Hill NSW I
Izaia Perese Anglican Church Grammar School QLD
Reece Hewat St Joseph’s College Nudgee QLD I
Hugh Summerhayes Cranbrook School NSW I
Ah-mu Tuimaleali’ifano Roxburgh College VIC
Sione Tuipulotu St. Kevin’s College VIC
Andrew Vatuvei Sarah Redfern High School NSW I
Shambeckler Vui Ipswich Grammar School QLD I

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
TOUR TO NEW ZEALAND AND TRI-NATIONS TOURNAMENT
20 Sept ASRU Team Assemble in Sydney after players fulfil school commitments Done
23 Sept ASRU Team depart for New Zealand
26 Sept Australia v Fiji, Courtesy Domain in Levin, 5pm (3pm AEST)
30 Sept Australia v NZ Barbarians, Porirua Park, Porirua, 1pm (11am AEST) Televised on Fox Sports with Channel TBC
4 Oct Australia v New Zealand, Porirua Park, Porirua, 2.50 pm (12:50 pm AEST) Televised on Fox Sports with Channel TBC
220px-Fox_Sports_logo.svg_.png

5 Oct ASRU Team return home

Source: http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/ai1ec_event/new-zealand-v-australian-schools/?instance_id=101
http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/ai1ec_event/australia-v-fiji-schools/?instance_id=99
http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/ai1ec_event/australia-v-fiji-schools/?instance_id=100
http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/2014/news/fox-sports-confirms-live-broadcasts-nz-matches/

Good to see rumours confirmed that that there has been a second row player called into the touring squad.
Congratulations to former Illawarra boy, Reece HEWAT, Nudgee College, QLD 1.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Can anyone tell me what happened to Angus Crichton?
Thanks for the updated team list @The King

Looks like Tuaina Tualima Brisbane State High QLD I has been added in place of Crichton.

Looks like Reece Hewat St Joseph’s College Nudgee QLD I has been added in place of late call up Rodda, IGS.

Failed fitness tests?

How have Tualima and Hewat been going in Brissie GPS footy? Is Rodda still broken?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Here is my revised NZ Test Team:
1. Gavin LUKA — St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD 1
2. Ed CRAIG — Epping Boys’ High School NSW 1
3. Vunipola FIFITA — Newington College NSW 1 (VC)
4. Andrew VATUVEI — Sarah Redfern High School NSW 1
5. Reece HEWAT — St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD 1
6. Hugh SUMMERHAYES — Cranbrook School NSW 1
7. Connor MORONEY — SJC Gregory Terrace QLD 1
8. Harley FOX — Anglican Church Grammar School QLD 1 (C)
9. Harrison GODDARD — Oakhill College NSW 1
10.Connor O’SHEA — Saint Joseph’s College NSW 1
11.Ah-mu TUIMALEALI'IFANO — Roxburgh College VIC
12.Sione TUIPULOTU — St. Kevin’s College VIC
13.Izaia PERESE — Anglican Church Grammar School QLD
14.Joey FITTOCK — The Southport School QLD 1
15.Jordan FULIVAI — St Francis Xavier College ACT

16.Evan PRITCHARD St Ignatius’ College NSW 2
17.Richie ASIATA — Anglican Church Grammar School QLD 2
18.Phil BRADFORD — Hunter Sports High School NSW 1
19.Tuaina TUALIMA - Brisbane State High School, QLD 1
20.Tom BLAKE — Marcellin College VIC 1
21.Nicholas DUFFY — St Joseph’s College, Hunters Hill NSW 2
22.Jordan JACKSON-HOPE — St Edmund’s College ACT
23.Sepesa L0GA-TAROGI — Newington College NSW 1

Running the Water:
Shambeckler VUI — Ipswich Grammar School QLD 1
Maumau MONU — Canberra College ACT

Kicking Tee
Ned YEOMANS —Kinross Wolaroi School CS

For Fiji, I can see the Selectors trying out some different combinations and starting Vui and Bradfield in the front row, with Luka running water and Asiata/Fifita on the bench.
Monu would be on the bench for Blake, and Yeomans would start at 12, with Tuipulotu on the bench, and Loga-Tarogi running the Kicking Tee. Pritchard may even get a start over Craig.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Hewat was the best player on the pitch for Nudgee week in, week out. He'd be up there with Fox in MVP considerations for the QLD GPS comp.

I never once saw Hewat stopped short of the advantage line, and he was Nudgee's number 1 lineout target.

Haven't seen Tuaina much, but he's a talented ball runner, tall but very light. Great in lineouts

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Hewat was the best player on the pitch for Nudgee week in, week out. He'd be up there with Fox in MVP considerations for the QLD GPS comp.

I never once saw Hewat stopped short of the advantage line, and he was Nudgee's number 1 lineout target.

Haven't seen Tuaina much, but he's a talented ball runner, tall but very light. Great in lineouts

I noted some of Lee Grant's concerns earlier re Harley Fox 'doing a Higginbotham' on occasions, but, for the 2014 QLD GPS season, IMO he was an absolutely outstanding #8 for Churchie in all aspects of play and arguably the best loose forward of the whole QLD GPS comp this year.

He's a superb ball-carrying 8, very powerful leg drive in contact and hard to bring down, and to boot is quick in pace, plus a fine give and take offloader. The number of times he won possession and made big line breaks to set up Churchie tries, I've lost count of. Good kicker from hand as well, regularly took penalty kicks for the line for Churchie and almost all were long and accurate. He'd be my 2014 MVP of the season for Churchie any day of the week.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Have we got anyone touring with the party that can post updates, or a reference to a twitter account or something?

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Gee it's rough that 2 class players like Hutchison and Crichton, who had such marvellous seasons have suffered injuries which prvented them from representing Australia. Both deserved to finish on a high note.

I totally agree QH. Seeing young Hutchison on crutches at the final GPS match of the year was bad enough but to hear of Crichton also being injured at this stage is most unfortunate. IIRC he was also chosen in Aust A last year and missed playing due to injury during the 2013 GPS season.
Take solace boys in that you have both been at the pointy end of Australian schoolboys rugby for two years and provided some fantastic games for the memory banks of a lot of aging could have beens. I for one will look forward to seeing your progression in the years to come outside of that particular goldfish bowl.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I noted some of Lee Grant's concerns earlier re Harley Fox 'doing a Higginbotham' on occasions, but, for the 2014 QLD GPS season, IMO he was an absolutely outstanding #8 for Churchie in all aspects of play and arguably the best loose forward of the whole QLD GPS comp this year.
That was in the Aus Championships when I mentioned that, but maybe he just had a four games below his usual standard.

He didn't compare with Angus Crichton or James Lough the NSW no. 8s. He had some nice linking Higginbotham moments that were noticeable and made folks ooh and aah, but he struck me as a seagull and exactly the kind of player I wouldn't play against the Kiwis.

This Aus Schools teams lacks bruisers. The front row will be decent with Lukas and Fifita propping but Mafi will be missed. Craig is a terrific hooker and is playing Colts already but is not a bruiser like Mafi.

I hope that Fox has shown a harder edge to his play than when I saw him because we don't need players with "all the skills", we need fellows who can "play big" in tight play however much they weigh and whatever their position; then do their other stuff.

Crichton was voted the GPS Player of the Year down here playing out of position. He's a no. 8 but he played in the centres for his school because they had an injury problem, and he terrorised opponents. He's as skilful as Fox is, but harder.

13. Henry Hutchison, a Tim Horan of a player and timed at 10.79 secs for 100 metres on the track this year, started in most of the Aus Schools games in 2013 though Under 16 qualified; he's another big loss.

Both these guys are key absences but it won't matter as much if the forwards play big. I am particularly concerned about the second row - not their passing and running or even their lineout work, but their ability to dominate in tackles and rucks whichever side has the ball.

Let's see if they can play a heavy game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
TOUR TO NEW ZEALAND AND TRI-NATIONS TOURNAMENT
20 Sept ASRU Team Assemble in Sydney after players fulfil school commitments Done
23 Sept ASRU Team depart for New Zealand Done
26 Sept Australia v Fiji, Courtesy Domain in Levin, 5pm (3pm AEST)
30 Sept Australia v NZ Barbarians, Porirua Park, Porirua, 1pm (10am AEST) Televised on Fox Sports 1
4 Oct Australia v New Zealand, Porirua Park, Porirua, 2.50 pm (11:50 am AEST) Televised on Fox Sports 3
220px-Fox_Sports_logo.svg_.png

5 Oct ASRU Team return home

Source: http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/ai1ec_event/new-zealand-v-australian-schools/?instance_id=101
http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/ai1ec_event/australia-v-fiji-schools/?instance_id=99
http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/ai1ec_event/australia-v-fiji-schools/?instance_id=100
http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/2014/news/fox-sports-confirms-live-broadcasts-nz-matches/

EDIT: From the ARU Web site. Looks like the Test might be on Fox Sports 3. http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...chools-side-departs-for-New-Zealand-tour.aspx

Note times are incorrect on this announcement (vvvvvv) due to Daylight savings starting in NZ on 28 September.
FOX SPORTS will broadcast both matches against the two New Zealand sides:
September 30: Australian Schools v New Zealand Barbarians, 11.00am AEST, FOX SPORTS 1HD & 1.
October 4: Australians Schools v New Zealand Schools, 12.40pm AEST, FOX SPORTS 3HD & 3

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
I was very surprised James Lough did not make the initial 23 - how he continues to miss selection with the subsequent injuries is astounding.

James will give you an 80 minute performance in every game he plays, something this team desperately needs.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NZ Schools 2014
Ayden JOHNSTONE, Hamilton Boys High School, Waikato. Prop
Jonah AOINA, Otago Boys High School, Otago. Prop
Alex FIDOW, Scots College, Wellington. Prop
Shaun STODART, Southland Boys High School, Southland. Prop
Max FRYATT, Feilding High School, Manawatu. Hooker
Solomone TUKUAFU, Hamilton Boys High School, Waikato. Hooker
Lui OKEAMOA-LUAMANU, St Patrick's College Silverstream, Wellington. Lock
Sam ULUFONUA, Auckland Grammar School, Auckland. Lock
Quinten STRANGE, Nelson College, Tasman. Lock
Luke JACOBSON, Cambridge High School, Waikato. Loose Forward
Hapakuki MOALA-LIAVA'A, Massey High School, North Harbour. Loose Forward
Hayden SPENCER, Palmerston North Boys High School, Manawatu. Loose Forward
Christian KELLEHER, Sacred Heart College, Auckland. Loose Forward
Sam NOCK, St Kentigern College, Auckland. Halfback
TJ VA'A, Scots College, Wellington. First Five
Ereatara ENARI, St Kentigern College, Auckland. First Five
Rieko IOANE, Auckland Grammar School, Auckland. Midfield
Patelesio TOMKINSON, Otago Boys High School, Otago. Midfield
Malo TUITAMA, Scots College, Wellington. Midfield
Jonah LOWE, King's College, Auckland. Winger
Mason EMERSON, Lindisfarne College, Hawke's Bay. Winger
Shaun STEVENSON, Auckland Grammar School, Auckland. Fullback
Jordan TRAINOR, St Peter's College, Auckland. Fullback

New Zealand Schools Coach, Dave HEWATT

NZ Barbarian Schools 2014
Antonio RIPATA, Auckland Grammar School, Auckland. Prop
Mason KEAN, Hastings Boys High School, Hawke's Bay. Prop
Sione ASI, Otago Boys High School, Otago. Prop
Sam TUFUGA, Rathkeale College, Wairarapa Bush. Prop
Tom HARDY, King's College, Auckland. Hooker
Samisoni TAUKEI'AHO, St Paul's Collegiate, Waikato. Hooker
Paripari PARKINSON, St Kentigern College, Auckland. Lock
Fin HOEATA, Dilworth School, Auckland. Lock
Isaia WALKER-LEAWERE, Gisborne Boys High School, Poverty Bay. Lock
Marino MIKAELE-TU'U, Hastings Boys High School, Hawke's Bay. Loose Forward
Jahrome BROWN, Hamilton Boys High School, Waikato. Loose Forward
Matt HEFFERNAN, Otago Boys High School, Otago. Loose Forward
Brendan BOND, Westlake Boys High School, North Harbour. Loose Forward
Liam HOWLEY, Southland Boys High School, Southland. Halfback
Lisati MILO-HARRIS, St Peter's College, Auckland. Halfback
D'Angelo LEUILA, Papatoetoe High School, Auckland. First Five
Alex NANKIVELL, Christchurch Boys High School, Canterbury. Midfield
Tui SAMUELU, Christchurch Boys High School, Canterbury. Midfield
Daniel LEE, Rosmini College, North Harbour. Midfield
Shelford MURRAY, King's College, Auckland. Winger
Jarrod ADAMS, St Patrick's College Silverstream, Wellington. Winger
Losi FILIPO, St Patrick's College Silverstream, Wellington. Winger
Caleb MAKENE, Napier Boys High School, Hawke's Bay. Utility back

New Zealand Barbarian Schools Coach, Darren LARSEN

Some Numbers to consider
NZ Schoolboys
10 Players from 7 Private Schools
13 Players from 9 Public Schools

NZ Barbarians
10 Players from 8 Private Schools
13 players from 10 Public Schools

All up:
46 players from 26 Schools
20 Players from 11 Private Schools
26 Players from 15 Public Schools

23 Schoolboys from 9 Provinces
23 Barbarians from 10 Provinces
46 Players from 12 Provinces

http://files.allblacks.com/NZRU_Med...s_team_and_Barbarian_Schools_teams_named.html

Status
Not open for further replies.