• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks vs Wallabies @ Newlands 27/9/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
especially as he is throwing the ball in less concussed these days - he has finally learned to temper his kamikaze approach to rugby

That was always my concern with TPN. He hurt himself so much with how he played that he did his team a disservice. That's not the case now though and I thought he stepped up fantastically well into Squeak's spot when called on. We're lucky to have two excellent players in that position and actually a bit more depth besides -- the other blokes have far from disgraced themselves in gold this season.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
any idea when Link's going to name his team? maybe tomorrow night? Genia to the bench maybe?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Starting to get deja vu about this game. Before the Eden Park Bledisloe, we had a number of Wallabies quoted in the press about how they would build on the previous draw and get a win over the ABs. We are now being told by Slipper and others via the press that the Wallabies will build on their winning form and put the Eden Park result behind them to come away with a win in SA. I would really like to see our spokesplayers show a bit more humility before big games and not talk up expectations.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If they believed them they wouldn't let the AB's run over the top of them like they do.
Au contraire, perhaps they believe their press so much they ease off in training while the All Blacks strive to bring their 'a game' for Link.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Players don't give media interviews because they want to. They are also normally "told" what to say - otherwise all sorts of random shit would come out.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Players don't give media interviews because they want to. They are also normally "told" what to say - otherwise all sorts of random shit would come out.

And random shits are not planned shits, and can therefore be extremely messy. I saw a guy have a random shit in a hotel car park once after a longish jog - it was not a pretty sight/smell.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

I would rather the coaches do the interviews, especially if the players are told what to say anyway. The coaches are the first who should be held accountable for any failure to meet expectations drummed up before a big game.

"Random shit" like toxic environment. Probably the most accurate and believable interview to come from a player yet.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The media don't just want to hear from coaches though.

I don't think the players are coached into what to say specifically. I'm sure they're told to keep things general and remain upbeat where possible.

Lots of people lament our players talking to the media and supposedly talking things up but that is part and parcel of rugby being a professional game. The lucrative salaries only exist due to interest from the public.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The media don't just want to hear from coaches though.

I don't think the players are coached into what to say specifically. I'm sure they're told to keep things general and remain upbeat where possible.

Lots of people lament our players talking to the media and supposedly talking things up but that is part and parcel of rugby being a professional game. The lucrative salaries only exist due to interest from the public.

They sure do look like gooses though when (if) the game goes to shit like Eden Park and they then have to resort to " back to the drawing board". Personally, I'd rather they don't say anything if they can't or aren't allowed to speak from the heart.

T

Train Without a Station

We're pretty happy with the way were going but I think ever since that Auckland game we lost a bit of momentum

Well the team has lost 2 games of their last 12 and 3 of their last 14. They've won 7 in a row for the first time since 2000. They are finally consistently defeating lower ranked opposition instead of slipping on banana peels every few weeks. Why wouldn't they be happy with the way they are going? Did he say they were where they needed to be? No.

And (the Championship) probably is New Zealand's to lose

Yep.

In saying that they have to do this trip as well. It's one of the tougher trips you can do as a rugby team.

Yep.

I think ... we've been a bit frantic (in the past)

Probably.

But I think with our game (and) the players that are in our team at the moment, we're shutting down games.

Maybe debatable.

Obviously we didn't do too well on the Gold Coast - but I feel like we're scoring enough points, we just need to step up our defence.

It's an improvement on the last two home tests against Argentina. And the last two comments are probably spot on.

So yes, the Wallabies comments are talking up expectations. If you're a fuckwit who wants to dig out isolated quotes, discuss them out of context and try and bring down our players who are just out there having a crack, and finally putting together the consistency we have lamented for so long.

If you're a balanced individual who reads the article, not just the headlines, you'd probably see they are fair quotes, lacking any hubris or over-confidence, fully aware of the challenge ahead.

BR, I will let you get back to us on which one you are. I'm personally sure you actually are the latter, not the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.