• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Climate Change Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Perhaps. Or do they just see that for it to work governments will have to divert billions in subsidies to these inefficient producers of alternative power and it's just easy pickings.

The car industry only stayed till the last subsidy dollar is used up so now we have a replacement industry to keep some sectors happy

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
United Nations secretary general Ban Ki-moon has been quoted as saying, “Climate change is the defining issue of our time. The longer we delay our action, the more we will have to pay.”

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You get to participate in a limited liability scheme enacted by government.

As a small business owner you can access a raft of tax concessions.

"participate" is a rather nice way to put it, required by law would be more accurate and tax concessions are bribes to make the tax code more complicated and keep accountants in business

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
"participate" is a rather nice way to put it, required by law would be more accurate and tax concessions are bribes to make the tax code more complicated and keep accountants in business

Your PI insurance would be far higher if it wasn't for a liability limited scheme.

Your cynicism certainly knows no bounds!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
OK I get it now:

Someone makes ONE mistake, therefore everything else they do is fallible. Despite all their success.

I see now why you're so sceptical about this whole climate change thing, and others. In a way its sort of Devil's Advocate?

Reminds me of an old joke:

"but I fuck ONE goat!"

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
OK I get it now:

Someone makes ONE mistake, therefore everything else they do is fallible. Despite all their success.

I see now why you're so sceptical about this whole climate change thing, and others. In a way its sort of Devil's Advocate?

Reminds me of an old joke:

"but I fuck ONE goat!"

I have repeatedly said I believe in climate change but the causes are still open for debate as are the proported solutions such as alternatives energy.

To me at times it seems a green driven agenda, a cause to go along with anti nuclear to keep the faithful on task. Remember all the horror stories that will happen from the anti nuclear groups in the 60's, 70's etc by now we should be all glowing and mutants.

You may remember I rasied methane a long time ago as just one gas which is as bad as co2.

Also we have had 3 ice ages which where followed by hot periods all before the industrial revolution brought us the coal monster. Remember in Meditteranean sea that several civilizations over a 3000 year period where submerged by rising sea levels.

Not into goats.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If wanting to take action on climate change is a green driven agenda, how exactly would you describe the agenda to do absolutely nothing?

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
If wanting to take action on climate change is a green driven agenda, how exactly would you describe the agenda to do absolutely nothing?

The green driven component is about the methods to solve the issue like no coal, no nuclear and only wind, solar etc which as I have tried to suggest previuosly will not provide baseload or are they cost effective. Also that it is evil man doing all this stuff which is very biblical in nature -- pray or the gods will strike you down.

I have not advocated doing nothing. Previously, in a misspelt for which I was rubbished, I suggested fusion power is where the funds spent on solar, wind etc would be more valuably spent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Fusion power is not a reality. The only thing that can be done with fusion is to make a bomb.

Saying that the anti-nuclear argument is purely driven by the Greens is absolute rubbish. Neither major party in Australia has any appetite to suggest nuclear power. That would suggest that all parties are against it. Until that changes it is ridiculous to say that it is down to the Greens that we don't pursue nuclear.

Your suggestions of fusion power and your other favourite that the real problem is methane from cattle are great examples of arguing to do nothing by deception. You are suggesting a method of power generation that is not even a reality let alone being economically feasible. Reducing methane emissions by the world stopping eating beef is a huge change for humanity. It is not likely to happen at all and there would be no public sentiment anywhere to promote it.

Meanwhile, you act like anyone having a desire to burn less coal is a fundamental attack on your way of life.

No one is trying to argue that all our electricity right away can be provided efficiently by solar and wind. No one is trying to argue that all the coal fired power stations should be turned off tomorrow.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Fusion power is not a reality. The only thing that can be done with fusion is to make a bomb.

Saying that the anti-nuclear argument is purely driven by the Greens is absolute rubbish. Neither major party in Australia has any appetite to suggest nuclear power. That would suggest that all parties are against it. Until that changes it is ridiculous to say that it is down to the Greens that we don't pursue nuclear.

Your suggestions of fusion power and your other favourite that the real problem is methane from cattle are great examples of arguing to do nothing by deception. You are suggesting a method of power generation that is not even a reality let alone being economically feasible. Reducing methane emissions by the world stopping eating beef is a huge change for humanity. It is not likely to happen at all and there would be no public sentiment anywhere to promote it.

Meanwhile, you act like anyone having a desire to burn less coal is a fundamental attack on your way of life.

No one is trying to argue that all our electricity right away can be provided efficiently by solar and wind. No one is trying to argue that all the coal fired power stations should be turned off tomorrow.

The Australian Bureau of Resources and Energy Economics agrees with you - access to cheap and reliable energy is a marker of human progress no matter how you define it.
Coal, oil, gas, nuclear and hydro are the primary drivers of electricity generation. Renewables are currently a very small contributor, while India and China are building large volumes of coal-fired electricity generators.
A desire to reduce the use of coal will reduce living standards, unless another cheap method is found. Renewables do not meet that criteria yet and do not look like doing so for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.