• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks vs Wallabies @ Newlands 27/9/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They sure do look like gooses though when (if) the game goes to shit like Eden Park and they then have to resort to " back to the drawing board". Personally, I'd rather they don't say anything if they can't or aren't allowed to speak from the heart.

They're really not talking it up that much though. The reality is that a player says something like:

"we think we've had a good preparation and if we play to the best of our ability we have a good chance."

and then the newspaper article ends up being headlined:

"Wallabies confident of ending Eden Park hoodoo."

they'll then reprint the quote from above but embellish around it and say that everything is going well for the Wallabies and they're confident of victory against the All Blacks.

Let's remember that if they say something equally non-committal but on the negative side, the headline of that article will be something like "Wallabies demoralised ahead of another Eden Park flogging."

There is always a significant difference between the tone of the actual quotes and then the newspaper story that follows it. The journalist is always going to want to make things more interesting than they actually were.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
They sure do look like gooses though when (if) the game goes to shit like Eden Park and they then have to resort to " back to the drawing board". Personally, I'd rather they don't say anything if they can't or aren't allowed to speak from the heart.

Problem is, we want these players to have a bit of personality and not talk in cliches and then often get upset when they actually do say what they think. It's no mystery why they go the more conservative option, added to the fact that a lot of these guys are not the kind of people who crave a career in front of the camera/microphone.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Recording and even lightly assessing all of Taf's throws over his Wallaby career is easily a 50+ (if not far more) hours project. Fuck, it would take at least 15-20 hours just to compile all the games and that would be if you had a perfect library to start with.

It was a laughable idea from the start, and this is coming from the king of not completing projects.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Other than the Eden Park debacle, the wallabies results since Link took over last August have continued to improve, but there is still a long way to go. Beating the Boks in Perth was a massive improvement on the same fixture in Brisbane last year, but they are not yet world beaters. Some of our young players clearly need more time and we need guys like TPN, Moore, Speight, Palu (and an in form Genia) in the side if we are to beat the top sides away from home. I cant see the Wallabies winning in Newlands, but I expect they will get closer than they did last year n SA. Boks by about 10 I'd say.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Flexibility? Just because Saia can bend over and touch his toes doesn't mean he's going to keep the scrum straight under pressure. What use is being able to contort yourself into funny positions to strike the ball if your scrum is back-pedalling and you give away a penalty or serve up shit for your 8 and 9?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
he's standing in the photo with the right people, maybe that's the basis of the story..i.e. the journo saw him training in between Slipper & Kepu, it would be silly to not expect him to though, starting or not..

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Nigel Owens had a good game as ref last year and allowed the game to flow.

I also think both teams have learnt some lessons this season so I think we're in for a cracking game. Just glad we don't play the All Blacks in Cape Town.

Hopefully all the good talk of Pollard isn't going to his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.