• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
either the opportunity is based on merit or it isn't.

If its based on merit, then it really shouldn't matter what code someone played last winter its just whether they will be able to get the outcome required better then any other option.
How do you determine merit on someone untested in the code?
I'm not talking about the rock stars,I'm referring to the Littlejohns & the Sullivans of the world.
A more recent example is the Reds signing the Bronco's kid.
No one gets their juniors unless the Bronco's have no further interest or are substantially out bid.
To give him this opportunity,they have ignored an Oz Schoolboy & 20's player who is currently playing in the NRC.
I just don't understand the logic.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
No one gets their juniors unless the Bronco's have no further interest or are substantially out bid.
To give him this opportunity,they have ignored an Oz Schoolboy & 20's player who is currently playing in the NRC.

I am pretty sure that this kid was a rep under 16s rugby player.

The logic is simple. The game is now fully professional, at the Soup level. Each franchise will make recruitment decisions that they perceive to be in their own best interests. Clearly the Reds decided that recruiting this chap was a better option that recruiting players who are currently playing our game.

You appear to be taking a wider view. Only the ARU can do that, and they only do it at the Wallaby top-up level.

We lose young players to the NRL, they lose some to us. At the end of the day, money talks, and bullshit walks.

Self-interest rules.

T

TOCC

Im not trying to vouch for this kid because i don't know him from a bar of soap...

But the Broncos are no longer the club that used to lock up all their juniors, there are plenty that slip through their grasp each year for various reasons and theres quite a few articles about other clubs and codes encroaching on their territory.

This is also the same Broncos club which is looking likely to miss the finals for the second time in 2 years, I hardly think a player getting away from the Broncos is a sign of a failure.

Reactions: Ash

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, it's been a long time since the Broncos held onto whomever they so wished. They have bled young talent everywhere for quite a while (e.g. Milford).

Besides, the guy is a half, and the Broncos are loaded on them and fullbacks: Hunt, Milford, Barba, Hoffman. Those guys are all fairly young, too.

I don't know the guy from a bar of soap, either. He could be good, or he could be the next UJ, but being able to steal him of the Broncos is neither here nor there regarding his playing ability these days.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
BTW, the Reds stole a young Berrick Barnes who the Broncos wanted to hold onto a few years back. The Broncos used to be great at hanging onto talent, but it's a myth that they could hold onto them all (and plenty went to the Storm that they wanted as young kids).

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
And I expect McIntyre will be in the wider training squad. He's been not bad for City, but his defence needs a load of work.

T

TOCC

After reading few articles and comments on Paia'aua, it sounds like he was in line for a promotion to the starting Broncos side in the next 12months or so, some have said he was the form broncos player in the NYC.

Apparently he has a great pass, but like all good 5/8's he is suspect in defence.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
And I expect McIntyre will be in the wider training squad. He's been not bad for City, but his defence needs a load of work.

Yeah WTS is still the place for him, you wouldn't be comfortable playing him anywhere but flyhalf, so you only really need him in the case of injury. I don't have any knowledge of this broncos kid other than the highlight reel, but he looks to have a bit of size and might be an option at centre.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
After reading few articles and comments on Paia'aua, it sounds like he was in line for a promotion to the starting Broncos side in the next 12months or so, some have said he was the form broncos player in the NYC.

Apparently he has a great pass, but like all good 5/8's he is suspect in defence.

I assume you are talking about loig five-eighths?

Jonny Wilkinson is one of the best tacklers I have ever seen.

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah that's like saying all NRL half backs are great defenders because Andrew Johns was.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Ben Te'o was an absolute beast for the Rabbitohs against the Chooks tonight, will be a good pick up for Leinster. Sam Burgess was outstanding too.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
probably not as old as you.
you ever see a better tackler than Clay?

I never saw him play. Bunny Reilly was pretty good. So was Dick Tooth. I saw him drop Joe Levula at the SCG, head on, Levula had run about 20 metres. That's the best tackle I have ever seen.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Interesting to see if the reds sign Caleb Timu for the 2016 season. I know this is the 2015 thread, but with Caleb being on his 2nd year of his Mormon missionary in 2015, he becomes a free agent in 2016. Was a standout union player at school and very good player in broncos NYC over the last 2 years, so will be very interesting to see where he ends up at