• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It doesn't surprise me.

I expect a few more from all clubs will head over to St Lucia. I wouldn't be surprised if Uni really dominate the next 5 years in Queensland Premier Footy.

Jeeps and Bank are the only two clubs getting close to them. Brothers always give them a strong run in the regular season but then under-perform in the finals.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Filth I'm curious as to why you believe UQ will dominate over the next 5 years? I feel that with some of the staffing changes to various clubs during this off-season (Bond and Souths especially) it is going to create an even more level competition.

UQ currently have a fairly stable setup and it seems to be staying intact going into 2015, to me this says they'll be in a similar position to where they are most years, floating somewhere in the top 4, not being necessarily more dominant though.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yes, but that's throughout the season.

When it comes to finals, it is really about how many 2nd tier players you've got, in essence. It makes a massive difference. Now, Easts won last year with none as TT has told us (many, many, many times).

However, that's one of the rare cases. University has got several Reds at the club and are very strong in the finals all round. For the next 5 off years I think they'll win at least another premiership.

Jeeps and Sunnybank will be the other two real contenders. I think Brothers will float around there somewhere along with Easts and Souths.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Gee you are being nice to us Filth.

Uni will probably have to have a transition season either this season or next with club stalwarts like Cochrane, Buchanan, Thompson, Tuffley, Porter and Arvier looking to retire due to work load or move overseas for some good life experiences in the next couple of years.

Players like McDuling, CB and maybe JJ (if he can keep some of the NRC form) playing limited games due to Reds commitments. Hopefully Sef as well

And then those players on the cusp like Gale, Banks, Wade, Korczyk might get dragged away to other franchises at some stage.

Although with players like Pincus, Parker, Dalglish, Mitchell, Reiser, Ryan, Potgieter and Wakley all coming through plus some good recruiting maybe there wont be too much of a lull.

If brothers can get Campbell to go around again I think they are in a really good position to have proper crack next year with their young lads being a year wiser.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Very quickly this arvo I look at which team received the most yellow cards this year.

Who do you reckon?

Results:

Brothers - 6
Easts - 7
Wests - 7
Norths -7
Bond - 8
Sunnybank - 8
GPS - 8
Souths - 9
UQ - 11

I think this is indicative of how Uni play their rugby - a lot like the All Blacks - very close to the margins but still getting the desired outcome.

T

Tigers Tale

Big Dog - I'd say it proves what I have been trying to prove for two years now that Bros are going soft!!!!!

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Yes unfortunately the Eagles have lost Tonga to Uni.

A whole heap of promises were made to him which I hope the heavies see through.... as he is not only a talented footballer, but a real good bloke. A great team man who always put his hand up around the club.

He will be missed at The Nest and there are definitely no hard feelings with his decision.

A bit hard for us to compete with the things he has been offered, so we have all wished him well in his journey.

We do not want to hold any player back, and will not do so.

On a side note, we have just moved into the St Lucia area and my son wants to play rugby next year..... does anyone have any contact details for the Uni Junior Rugby Club?? Just wanting to get some info for next season.....

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
TrainerGB the Uni-affiliated junior club closest to you would be Taylor Bridge over at Indro. Otherwise there is Kenmore which also isn't too far away.

I have no experience with the Taylor Bridge club itself, but I know many on the committee and in charge of running things and they run a tight ship with an impressive level of organisation.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yes unfortunately the Eagles have lost Tonga to Uni.

A whole heap of promises were made to him which I hope the heavies see through.. as he is not only a talented footballer, but a real good bloke. A great team man who always put his hand up around the club.

He will be missed at The Nest and there are definitely no hard feelings with his decision.

A bit hard for us to compete with the things he has been offered, so we have all wished him well in his journey.

We do not want to hold any player back, and will not do so.

On a side note, we have just moved into the St Lucia area and my son wants to play rugby next year... does anyone have any contact details for the Uni Junior Rugby Club?? Just wanting to get some info for next season...

I see what you did there trainerGB.....

Very disappointing for the eagles to lose Maafu. What are norths stocks like to replace him? Losing him and tasi in 2 years will be massive loses down at shaw rd

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
On a side note, we have just moved into the St Lucia area and my son wants to play rugby next year... does anyone have any contact details for the Uni Junior Rugby Club?? Just wanting to get some info for next season...

hey mate, I have three boys at Taylor Bridge. What age is your son? A great club in the jnr ages, but once its over U12, depending on expectations of your son, option may be to look elsewhere.

Wests is very close to St Lucia and has an excellent Jnr Club.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
On a serious note, that really sucks for Norths.

I recall prior to 2006, when a few supporters at Brothers were becoming a bit impatient with the club not making a grand final in many years (16 in fact).

I know Norths drought is way longer, but eventually luck kicks in an you finally win something.

I hope its soon for Norths, because you're just going to keep losing more talent to other clubs, which is really frustrating.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
How's Norths looking financially these days? If I recall they were in some strife a couple of years ago but seemed to turn it around.

Obviously at this level money doesn't provide Premierships (we would hope) but its always helpful to know your club is in a good position and can provide adequate training facilities, equipment etc

rugbynerd

Peter Burge (5)
Maybe Fogarty will bring a front rower over from GPS to Norths to compensate for the loss of Tonga or will they somehow try to entice Tasi back from sunnybank? Would be tough with sunnybank being grand finalists and tasi arguably the man of the match in a losing side.

They would be best off investing in young front rowers Garrath Ryan and Bart Ritchie as those 2 will be very good players in 2-3 years IMO. But another experienced front rower would definetly help the eagles.

Also what happened to Jake Milne this year? Didn't see him running around at GPS. Was he injured or overseas?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Also what happened to Jake Milne this year? Didn't see him running around at GPS. Was he injured or overseas?

Milne made a pre-season move over to Brothers I believe. I assume to chase more Premier rugby caps as he was fringe Prems/Reggies at GPS. I don't recall seeing his name on any Premier Grade team lists for the Filth though so not sure what happened?

Purce

Jim Clark (26)

Taylor Bridge is great mate. I've got 4 nephews playing there and they love it. Coaches, mangers & community are all top notch as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.